Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. The United gift registry has been discontinued. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award TicketsDoesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade FeesAs of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 20, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by bocasierra View Post
I received an email today from United saying I can add funds to my TravelBank account. Has anyone tried this to see if it generates a reimbursement. Here's the link from the email:

https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127
Very interested but did not receive this email...have $200 on new AMEX Platinum to burn
Old Jul 30, 20, 9:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I received an email today from United saying I can add funds to my TravelBank account. Has anyone tried this to see if it generates a reimbursement. Here's the link from the email:

Brand new promo, probably too early to know. Someone will need to try and see how this coded. The Gift Registry in the past worked but that was the past.
Old Jul 30, 20, 11:39 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

If UA were smart, it would do everything it can to make sure this works. It's basically "free" money for UA courtesy of Amex.

LAX
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Brand new promo, probably too early to know. Someone will need to try and see how this coded. The Gift Registry in the past worked but that was the past.
I made a purchase earlier today as a test. The purchase posted as, "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG" ... I suppose it will take a few days to see whether I get credited for this by Amex but given that it posted like that I am nt too hopeful.
nnn, sdsearch and MattBTU like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
If UA were smart, it would do everything it can to make sure this works. It's basically "free" money for UA courtesy of Amex.
What you're forgetting is that to post as an incidental charge, it won't post as a flight. Some people are more interested in it posting as an incidental charge (for the reimbursement) but other people are more interested in it earning a multiplier on cards that earn multipliers on flights.

So there's no one way that UA can set this this up one way to please everyone. And why would they "be smart" to prioritize people who have UA selected as an incidental charge for an Amex card, when there may be way more people who are earning some sort of multiplier for UA flights (which is possible on various cards for various banks, including some Amex cards)?
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
....other people are more interested in it earning a multiplier on cards that earn multipliers on flights.
Cards that advertise a bonus for "flights" will typically award that bonus for any charge made on the airline's primary merchant account.
chrisny2 and MaxVO like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:32 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
What you're forgetting is that to post as an incidental charge, it won't post as a flight. Some people are more interested in it posting as an incidental charge (for the reimbursement) but other people are more interested in it earning a multiplier on cards that earn multipliers on flights.

So there's no one way that UA can set this this up one way to please everyone. And why would they "be smart" to prioritize people who have UA selected as an incidental charge for an Amex card, when there may be way more people who are earning some sort of multiplier for UA flights (which is possible on various cards for various banks, including some Amex cards)?
If people are more interested in getting the multiplier credit, why not just use the card for actual tickets? Why even bother going through TravelBank? I supposed some people might be interested in using the TravelBank credits on items not posting as "flights" and otherwise won't earn multiplier credit, but I would imagine for most UA flyers with an Amex Plat, they would prefer getting the $200 reimbursement than 5X points.

LAX
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
thanks for posting! Only valid for 3 more days Hope someone can confirm this works! Even for the 10% credit alone it might be worth the gamble.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
...Even for the 10% credit alone it might be worth the gamble.
Just FYI the bonus funds from that 10% will credit in 90 days and expire in 120 days after deposit.
Travel bank cash will expire if left inactive for 18 months. (from T&C).
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Just FYI the bonus funds from that 10% will credit in 90 days and expire in 120 days after deposit.
I saw that. So funds will post in early November and can be used till early March 2021. That should work nicely.

And funds added via cash don't expire that quickly. My current travel bank has an 1/31/23 expiry listed and those are still from the last time that one could add ... so it's been a while.
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
... My current travel bank has an 1/31/23 expiry listed ...
You may want to check T&C 26. It could be that inactivity forfeiture is a separate date.
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to check T&C 26. It could be that inactivity forfeiture is a separate date.
o.k., whatever. I am sure I am wrong and my account balance is zero instead of what it is showing me.

Aside that in most states this would be illegal.
Old Yesterday, 6:33 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
The charge posted as "special service ticket" showing ORD --> ORD on date of purchase. So not too hopeful of a reimbursement hitting.
Old Yesterday, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, 9W Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, EK Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
The charge posted as "special service ticket" showing ORD --> ORD on date of purchase. So not too hopeful of a reimbursement hitting.
I think in a way it's a good sign, since the rep can see it's not a regular ticket. If it does not trigger the credit automatically, might have lick with a manual review.
mia likes this.
Old Yesterday, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
The T&C of this specific offer explicitly state a five year validity for the base amount added.
mia and MaxVO like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: