Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:19 am

Has anyone had success getting E+ cost added onto a travel certificate by calling in at the time of cancellation? I've seen mentions of it - curious to hear if anyone's had success with this.

Either way, I'm going to be giving it at shot soon!

Last edited by jdel06; Jun 3, 2020 at 3:28 am
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:45 am

Ok, after some research and then going through the process myself, here's my DP:

Booked a flight in March. Paid for E+ separately, which Amex issued an incidental airline fee credit for.

Tried to cancel online, got an error message with a phone #. Call the #, UA gives me a Future Flight Credit. I then call them back and inquire about electronic travel certificate instead. They agree to turn FFC into ETC. I asked about the E+ transaction, and they offer to create a separate ETC for that, say I'll receive an email with both ETCs within 24 hours.

Never received them after ~36 hours, so I call UA, they create a single ETC to cover the fare + E+ cost and email it to me while I'm on the phone with them. The ETC expires 24 months from the date it was issued.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jdel06; Jun 5, 2020 at 8:19 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Brand new amex biz plat member here, thanks to everyone for the data points. Unlikely to fly in 2020 but would like to get the $200 credit, would rather float it with United as I usually with them. Seems the best way to do that is booking a flight, upgrade to E+ separately on amex, then canceling the flight and asking for ETC? Seems like a lot of money to float with united if it includes the original airfare (a dummy $300 flight only generated $88 E+ fee).
​​​​​​
Is there a way to only get the E+ charge as ETC and refund original fare to method of payment?

If not it, seems delta has the easiest way to liquidate the credits based on my research, I'd just have to make sure to fly with them at one point.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Brand new amex biz plat member here, thanks to everyone for the data points. Unlikely to fly in 2020 but would like to get the $200 credit, would rather float it with United as I usually with them. Seems the best way to do that is booking a flight, upgrade to E+ separately on amex, then canceling the flight and asking for ETC? Seems like a lot of money to float with united if it includes the original airfare (a dummy $300 flight only generated $88 E+ fee).
​​​​​​
Is there a way to only get the E+ charge as ETC and refund original fare to method of payment?

If not it, seems delta has the easiest way to liquidate the credits based on my research, I'd just have to make sure to fly with them at one point.
I'm not sure the UA method you suggested is very reliable. I went through that process but had a real flight and real E+ that I intended to fly but had to cancel due to COVID. Long story short, it didn't go super smoothly - there was a lot of back and forth. Just recently, after issuing me an ETC for the E+ fee I paid, UA just decided to refund it anyway, which causes all kinds of complications.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdel06
I'm not sure the UA method you suggested is very reliable. I went through that process but had a real flight and real E+ that I intended to fly but had to cancel due to COVID. Long story short, it didn't go super smoothly - there was a lot of back and forth. Just recently, after issuing me an ETC for the E+ fee I paid, UA just decided to refund it anyway, which causes all kinds of complications.
Thank you! Seems the pet fee is more reliable then as long as we are willing to float the extra cash? Apologies for the newbie question I've tried to read as much as I could here and the other airlines threads about this credit.

Last edited by Warriorconcept; Jun 11, 2020 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by cwc
Redeposit mile fee is not reimbursable! I waited until my statement to close for the month before I chatted up with AE rep. And he said the cancellation fee/redeposit mile fee is not cover under the program and quoted me the list of approved fee.
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIF
How do I purchase Onboard WIF instead of wireless internet that is excluded? It appears to be the same.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bug.db
How do I purchase Onboard WIF instead of wireless internet that is excluded? It appears to be the same.
American Express' terms exclude in-flight broadband because, in the beginning, all airlines use GoGo and the transactions were processed by GoGo rather than the airline. The market has evolved. IF the broadband service is billed by the airline it may be reimbursed because it is mistaken for a fee, but if the broadband is billed by the service provider it will not be reimbursed.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: United Silver
If I were to book a refundable flight w/ a Pet Fee - would I be able to get the flight and pet fee refunded/put onto a future flight credit?

I feel like I am missing something - I can't see Amex clawing back the funds due to it being on a future flight credit...

Any advise would be VERY appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ttlax
Looked through but couldn't find anything...

Has anyone had success getting inexpensive flights to trigger the credit? Like, $49 one way, etc?
Yes — a single data point but recently booked a $48 basic economy one-way and got the credit a few days after it posted:
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Turkish Airlines Elite
Originally Posted by truncated
Yes — a single data point but recently booked a $48 basic economy one-way and got the credit a few days after it posted:

Where did you book your tickets? On the UA website or through a third party?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:31 am

Any DPs on United Club passes purchased within the app being reimbursed? Says they expire in a year
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thebob6
If I were to book a refundable flight w/ a Pet Fee - would I be able to get the flight and pet fee refunded/put onto a future flight credit?

I feel like I am missing something - I can't see Amex clawing back the funds due to it being on a future flight credit...

Any advise would be VERY appreciated.
FFC and ETCs are o.k. The only way Amex can and will claw things back is when you get a refund to your card. Even then YMMV.
You can always ask UA to issue an ETC instead of a refund ... they will be all too happy to oblige.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can someone remind me if the credits work for additional cardholders, or only the primary cardholder?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by Doppy
Can someone remind me if the credits work for additional cardholders, or only the primary cardholder?
If you are asking if there are separate credits for the additional cardholder then the answer is NO. But you can use the credits by making the charge on either the primary or the AU card.
Doppy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Avis PC, National Exec
I received an email today from United saying I can add funds to my TravelBank account. Has anyone tried this to see if it generates a reimbursement. Here's the link from the email:

https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.