FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002996-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2020-21-a.html)

jdel06 Jun 3, 2020 3:19 am

Has anyone had success getting E+ cost added onto a travel certificate by calling in at the time of cancellation? I've seen mentions of it - curious to hear if anyone's had success with this.

Either way, I'm going to be giving it at shot soon!

jdel06 Jun 4, 2020 4:45 am

Ok, after some research and then going through the process myself, here's my DP:

Booked a flight in March. Paid for E+ separately, which Amex issued an incidental airline fee credit for.

Tried to cancel online, got an error message with a phone #. Call the #, UA gives me a Future Flight Credit. I then call them back and inquire about electronic travel certificate instead. They agree to turn FFC into ETC. I asked about the E+ transaction, and they offer to create a separate ETC for that, say I'll receive an email with both ETCs within 24 hours.

Never received them after ~36 hours, so I call UA, they create a single ETC to cover the fare + E+ cost and email it to me while I'm on the phone with them. The ETC expires 24 months from the date it was issued.

Warriorconcept Jun 11, 2020 1:33 am

Brand new amex biz plat member here, thanks to everyone for the data points. Unlikely to fly in 2020 but would like to get the $200 credit, would rather float it with United as I usually with them. Seems the best way to do that is booking a flight, upgrade to E+ separately on amex, then canceling the flight and asking for ETC? Seems like a lot of money to float with united if it includes the original airfare (a dummy $300 flight only generated $88 E+ fee).
​​​​​​
Is there a way to only get the E+ charge as ETC and refund original fare to method of payment?

If not it, seems delta has the easiest way to liquidate the credits based on my research, I'd just have to make sure to fly with them at one point.

jdel06 Jun 11, 2020 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept (Post 32446810)
Brand new amex biz plat member here, thanks to everyone for the data points. Unlikely to fly in 2020 but would like to get the $200 credit, would rather float it with United as I usually with them. Seems the best way to do that is booking a flight, upgrade to E+ separately on amex, then canceling the flight and asking for ETC? Seems like a lot of money to float with united if it includes the original airfare (a dummy $300 flight only generated $88 E+ fee).
​​​​​​
Is there a way to only get the E+ charge as ETC and refund original fare to method of payment?

If not it, seems delta has the easiest way to liquidate the credits based on my research, I'd just have to make sure to fly with them at one point.

I'm not sure the UA method you suggested is very reliable. I went through that process but had a real flight and real E+ that I intended to fly but had to cancel due to COVID. Long story short, it didn't go super smoothly - there was a lot of back and forth. Just recently, after issuing me an ETC for the E+ fee I paid, UA just decided to refund it anyway, which causes all kinds of complications.

Warriorconcept Jun 11, 2020 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jdel06 (Post 32446829)
I'm not sure the UA method you suggested is very reliable. I went through that process but had a real flight and real E+ that I intended to fly but had to cancel due to COVID. Long story short, it didn't go super smoothly - there was a lot of back and forth. Just recently, after issuing me an ETC for the E+ fee I paid, UA just decided to refund it anyway, which causes all kinds of complications.

Thank you! Seems the pet fee is more reliable then as long as we are willing to float the extra cash? Apologies for the newbie question I've tried to read as much as I could here and the other airlines threads about this credit.

bug.db Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am

Originally Posted by cwc (Post 32238532)
Redeposit mile fee is not reimbursable! I waited until my statement to close for the month before I chatted up with AE rep. And he said the cancellation fee/redeposit mile fee is not cover under the program and quoted me the list of approved fee.
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIF

How do I purchase Onboard WIF instead of wireless internet that is excluded? It appears to be the same.

mia Jun 23, 2020 10:12 am

Originally Posted by bug.db (Post 32478916)
How do I purchase Onboard WIF instead of wireless internet that is excluded? It appears to be the same.

American Express' terms exclude in-flight broadband because, in the beginning, all airlines use GoGo and the transactions were processed by GoGo rather than the airline. The market has evolved. IF the broadband service is billed by the airline it may be reimbursed because it is mistaken for a fee, but if the broadband is billed by the service provider it will not be reimbursed.

thebob6 Jun 30, 2020 4:28 am

If I were to book a refundable flight w/ a Pet Fee - would I be able to get the flight and pet fee refunded/put onto a future flight credit?

I feel like I am missing something - I can't see Amex clawing back the funds due to it being on a future flight credit...

Any advise would be VERY appreciated.

truncated Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by ttlax (Post 32164756)
Looked through but couldn't find anything...

Has anyone had success getting inexpensive flights to trigger the credit? Like, $49 one way, etc?

Yes — a single data point but recently booked a $48 basic economy one-way and got the credit a few days after it posted:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25314df04d.png

ashaabalam Jul 7, 2020 11:38 am

Originally Posted by truncated (Post 32498231)
Yes — a single data point but recently booked a $48 basic economy one-way and got the credit a few days after it posted:

Where did you book your tickets? On the UA website or through a third party?

tatjr13 Jul 8, 2020 10:31 am

Any DPs on United Club passes purchased within the app being reimbursed? Says they expire in a year

cfischer Jul 8, 2020 10:48 am

Originally Posted by thebob6 (Post 32495803)
If I were to book a refundable flight w/ a Pet Fee - would I be able to get the flight and pet fee refunded/put onto a future flight credit?

I feel like I am missing something - I can't see Amex clawing back the funds due to it being on a future flight credit...

Any advise would be VERY appreciated.

FFC and ETCs are o.k. The only way Amex can and will claw things back is when you get a refund to your card. Even then YMMV.
You can always ask UA to issue an ETC instead of a refund ... they will be all too happy to oblige.

Doppy Jul 9, 2020 2:55 pm

Can someone remind me if the credits work for additional cardholders, or only the primary cardholder?

arshi007 Jul 9, 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 32520280)
Can someone remind me if the credits work for additional cardholders, or only the primary cardholder?

If you are asking if there are separate credits for the additional cardholder then the answer is NO. But you can use the credits by making the charge on either the primary or the AU card.

bocasierra Jul 30, 2020 4:51 pm

I received an email today from United saying I can add funds to my TravelBank account. Has anyone tried this to see if it generates a reimbursement. Here's the link from the email:

https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127