Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the $50 guest fee which takes effect in 2023 is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2037482-centurion-lounge-crowding-platinum-cardholders-may-pay-50-guest-effective-2-1-2023-a.html

-----------------------

This is a continuation of a four year discussion, which you are invited to review HERE before posting your suggestions to reduce lounge crowding.

Policies already implemented by American Express include limiting guests to two per Platinum cardholder (with no exception for immediate family), eliminating paid guests, and limiting Platinum access to three hours before scheduled departure, with no access on inbound flights (except when connecting).

Ideas already suggested include eliminating or limiting guests, banning guests not travelling in the same flight as the cardholder, limiting the annual number of visits, tieing access to spending on the Platinum card, banning children, etc.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Two different issues: (1)pre-virus, (2)post-virus
(1) the rules prevent overcrowding and should be enforced
(2) assuming the lounges are even open, an extra pax or two in a nearly EMPTY lounge won't "rock the boat".
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nrr
(2) assuming the lounges are even open, an extra pax or two in a nearly EMPTY lounge won't "rock the boat".
Not for much longer... on their front page:

https://thecenturionlounge.com/

"As the health and safety of our Card Members and colleagues is our top priority, in light of the spread of COVID-19 we are temporarily closing all The Centurion® Lounge locations, starting on Saturday, March 21, 2020. American Express will provide notice here and on the Amex Mobile App when locations reopen."
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
​​​​​​- you can gain access to any Centurion Lounge with a connection that’s over 3 hours. Example: you fly MEX-JFK and you arrive to JFK at 900 and you are then flying JFK-DTW at 1600; as long as you have MEX-JFK that arrived that day you will be allowed in.
Just a note, there is no requirement that a connecting flight be over three hours. The access policy is quoted below, with my emphasis added.

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD AND DELTA SKYMILES® RESERVE CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion® Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of confirmed connecting flight (connections pertain to same airport). A connecting flight is one that requires passengers to change from one aircraft to another at a hub airport on the way to their final destination, Round-trip itineraries do not qualify as connecting flights.

We will not admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Member's same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with a connecting flight. A Card Member with a round-trip itinerary may only access the lounge within the 3 hours before their outbound departure time.
Connecting flights actually give you greater access than a round trip itinerary because you are not subject to the restriction which prohibits access earlier than 3 hours before departure.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Just a note, there is no requirement that a connecting flight be over three hours. The access policy is quoted below, with my emphasis added.

Connecting flights actually give you greater access than a round trip itinerary because you are not subject to the restriction which prohibits access earlier than 3 hours before departure.
yes. That is what I was trying to convey from my example
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:08 am

Sorry this part of your post...

you can gain access to any Centurion Lounge with a connection that’s over 3 hour

seems to imply that you cannot gain access unless your connection is longer than 3 hours. I just wanted to correct that in case others were similarly confused.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Sorry this part of your post... seems to imply that you cannot gain access unless your connection is longer than 3 hours. I just wanted to correct that in case others were similarly confused.
... but the connecting flight is irrelevant if there is less than three hours before the departing flight...
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP AY+ Plat UA Silver Marriott Titanium
3 Hour Centurion Lounge Access Question

I am looking to enter the JFK Centurion lounge 6 hours prior to my flight. I know that the 3 hour rule does not apply to connections but does it apply if my "connection" is on a separate ticket? I am flying CLT-JFK one one ticket and then JFK-LAX on a second ticket and was hoping I could just show them my CLT-JFK boarding pass for access. Thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by King1028
I am looking to enter the JFK Centurion lounge 6 hours prior to my flight. I know that the 3 hour rule does not apply to connections but does it apply if my "connection" is on a separate ticket? I am flying CLT-JFK one one ticket and then JFK-LAX on a second ticket and was hoping I could just show them my CLT-JFK boarding pass for access. Thoughts?
Should be fine, separate tickets hasn't mattered in the past.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by King1028
Had no issue last month with a 4 hour connection with separate tickets on DL / B6 — just showed them the inbound DL BP and the outbound B6 one
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
So I want to bring this up again, because from what I could see in CLT last week, Centurion crowding is going to be making its way back into the consciousness soon (in particular given the capacity/distancing they're doing inside the clubs).

I've long though that Amex needs to either (1) introduce a reservation system or (2) limit guest entries to a certain # per holder per year.

I do hope that in the down time they've considered this, because by all accounts domestic travel is coming roaring back and there are likely a ton of new Platinum card holders given the recent aggressive acquisition efforts with 125k/100k offers + 10x Gas/Groceries.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of 2023 guest fee is here: Centurion Lounge crowding: Platinum cardholders may pay $50/guest effective 2.1.2023

Last edited by mia; May 3, 2021 at 2:23 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Clarification of centurion lounge connection or layover rule

I’m traveling to Denver this week on a one-way ticket on one airline, then departing six hours later on another airline out of Denver to a destination that is not my originating airport (Another one way ticket)

based on the language below, I consider this a layover. Will I have any issues in gaining entrance to the lounge in the mid morning prior to my early afternoon departure on another airline, And not be subjected to the three hour rule.?

Access to The Centurion Network

The Centurion® Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of confirmed connecting flight (connections pertain to same airport). A connecting flight is one that requires passengers to change from one aircraft to another at a hub airport on the way to their final destination, Round-trip itineraries do not qualify as connecting flights.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I’m traveling to Denver this week on a one-way ticket on one airline, then departing six hours later on another airline out of Denver to a destination that is not my originating airport (Another one way ticket)

based on the language below, I consider this a layover. Will I have any issues in gaining entrance to the lounge in the mid morning prior to my early afternoon departure on another airline, And not be subjected to the three hour rule.?

Access to The Centurion Network

Present paper boarding passes for the incoming flight and the boarding passes for the outgoing flight.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:50 am

"Departure" Lounge

They say it is a "Departure" Lounge. Would they need to see any more than your outgoing departure boarding pass? They shouldn't care if you just arrived regardless of how you got there.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wathornton
They say it is a "Departure" Lounge. Would they need to see any more than your outgoing departure boarding pass? They shouldn't care if you just arrived regardless of how you got there.
I think OP is trying to use connection entry rule, instead of departure rule which only allow entry 3 hours before the departure flight. OP has 6 hours connection time.
safari ari likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.