Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the $50 guest fee which takes effect in 2023 is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2037482-centurion-lounge-crowding-platinum-cardholders-may-pay-50-guest-effective-2-1-2023-a.html

-----------------------

This is a continuation of a four year discussion, which you are invited to review HERE before posting your suggestions to reduce lounge crowding.

Policies already implemented by American Express include limiting guests to two per Platinum cardholder (with no exception for immediate family), eliminating paid guests, and limiting Platinum access to three hours before scheduled departure, with no access on inbound flights (except when connecting).

Ideas already suggested include eliminating or limiting guests, banning guests not travelling in the same flight as the cardholder, limiting the annual number of visits, tieing access to spending on the Platinum card, banning children, etc.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I am not the author of the message itself and I definitely won't pretend I know everything, but I think it's one of those concepts where they "deserve" it, but the business model is still "questionable". Is that really mutually exclusive?
Thank you - that is what I was trying to say. All the military in the club are polite and very nice. Great to be around them.
But does this support the business model American Express has for its lounge and promoting its high end credit card and the features and advertisements that go along with it - The "Departures" magazine is intended for a wealthy crowd.

Point is - getting in some lounges now requires being added to a wait list and getting a text message when your turn is ready. Is that how the so called high income crowd is looking to access the Lounge?

In some cases, the food service is like eating in the mess hall. Point is the lounges need to be bigger and they need to be able to handle a higher volume of food.

At DFW - I choose to simply leave the lounge (no place to sit) and go over to the Admirals Club. For my needs, the AA Club food is sufficient. I like dining with the troops - just add more tables pushed together.and use larger food serving bowls.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: hahaha
How would AMEX know that I'm connecting?

Say my next flight is 5 hours from now, but I wanted to head to the Centurion lounge, and that they would probably take me in since I'm laying over.

Would they ask for my first boarding pass? Just asking because I usually fly AC, and the mobile BP would disappear since it's no longer needed after I arrive at the connecting airport.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:19 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asovse1
How would AMEX know that I'm connecting?

Say my next flight is 5 hours from now, but I wanted to head to the Centurion lounge, and that they would probably take me in since I'm laying over.

Would they ask for my first boarding pass? Just asking because I usually fly AC, and the mobile BP would disappear since it's no longer needed after I arrive at the connecting airport.
my understanding is it's three hours before your outbound flight whether you're connecting or not. You get no special access if you're connecting. The only way connecting comes into this is there is no access on arrival unless you're connecting. And in that case you show them your next boarding pass.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by stc
my understanding is it's three hours before your outbound flight whether you're connecting or not. You get no special access if you're connecting. The only way connecting comes into this is there is no access on arrival unless you're connecting. And in that case you show them your next boarding pass.
I got it from here:
We will not admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Member's same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with a connecting flight.

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stc
That’s not true.

You can only access the lounge starting at 3 hours before your departure but the 3 hour rule does not apply for connecting flights. You do need to show your boarding pass for the arrival flight and the onward hoarding pass.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:09 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asovse1
I got it from here:
Well Inguess that's another good reason to use paper boarding pass. Given the number of times I've had to send in a paper boarding pass to get credit for the flight, I would never consider using an app anyway.
krazykanuck and asovse1 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stc
Well Inguess that's another good reason to use paper boarding pass. Given the number of times I've had to send in a paper boarding pass to get credit for the flight, I would never consider using an app anyway.
You can always take a screenshot of your boarding pass. Since you are getting your mobile boarding pass through your app, you can also show them your itinerary on the app. They are reasonable
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:45 pm

cannot wait in front of the lounge

I cannot believe this is happening in the US. I showed up apparently 3 hours and 5 minutes before my flight, so the agent at the Centurion lounge said she couldn't check me in. I had to wait 5 minutes. And then she said you cannot wait here, you have to leave and then come back in 5 minutes (it was 3 or 4 minutes by then).
This is simply ridiculous. Plus the whole overcrowded? Do they not know what's going on in the US?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A you are so lucky she did not call security, was she Polish
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
A you are so lucky she did not call security, was she Polish
Call security? She couldn't call security. They wouldn't pay attention for her. Luckily I'm in one of those airports where they don't do such things.

I guess if she could really call security there are many different countries in this place call the US of A.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:04 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
.... you cannot wait here,...
By "here" do you me inside the lounge, between the door and the desK? That sounds as if it would be a standard policy to prevent clusters of people blocking the path.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An agent at DFW who recognized me from previous visits let me in about 10 minutes before 3 hours. I was prepared to wait.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
By "here" do you me inside the lounge, between the door and the desK? That sounds as if it would be a standard policy to prevent clusters of people blocking the path.
By "clusters" do you mean the 0 people that were there?
Let me clarify. There were 2 agents and someone else, and there was nobody behind me, nobody else in that area.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:40 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
By "clusters" do you mean the 0 people that were there?
When a mass market business establishes a policy they expect employees to implement it as written, not to judge whether it is needed today. It would be nice if you had the type of relationship that dayone reported, but I don't think anyone is entitled to an exception.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When a mass market business establishes a policy they expect employees to implement it as written, not to judge whether it is needed today. It would be nice if you had the type of relationship that dayone reported, but I don't think anyone is entitled to an exception.
You mean, there's no room for common sense?
Also, I doubt there is a policy that people have to leave while they are waiting their 5 minutes.

I did complain to Amex but they won't let me know the result. I hope she gets fired. It is ridiculous to not let me in 5 minutes before but what is egregious is telling me I have to leave.

If you want to replace these people with machines, how would it be worse? Machines don't call the police on you (as someone else suggested), don't discriminate against people on how they look (I guess you can program that in as a "feature" though)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.