Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the $50 guest fee which takes effect in 2023 is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2037482-centurion-lounge-crowding-platinum-cardholders-may-pay-50-guest-effective-2-1-2023-a.html

-----------------------

This is a continuation of a four year discussion, which you are invited to review HERE before posting your suggestions to reduce lounge crowding.

Policies already implemented by American Express include limiting guests to two per Platinum cardholder (with no exception for immediate family), eliminating paid guests, and limiting Platinum access to three hours before scheduled departure, with no access on inbound flights (except when connecting).

Ideas already suggested include eliminating or limiting guests, banning guests not travelling in the same flight as the cardholder, limiting the annual number of visits, tieing access to spending on the Platinum card, banning children, etc.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The comments at the end read like FlyerTalk!
https://liveandletsfly.com/american-...unge-crowding/

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old May 27, 2022, 3:33 am

^I'm guessing this was in the morning when they just opened.

These also look like old photos based on the number of people wearing masks.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m guessing we’re going to continue to see increased crowding through the busy summer travel season… hopefully it’ll be a bit better after Labor Day, and then of course we’ll see how things pan out once the first restrictions take effect next year.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I don't know what people expect given Amex have been absolutely pumping Platinum cards the past 12-18 months and travel is back again (TSA throughput comps are back to 2019 levels), the lounges are going to be busy. You might have to, shock horror, share a table with someone. The expectations, particularly in that Klint word vomit, are ridiculous.

Amex, to their credit, have constantly been trying to tweak supply (bigger lounges, more extensive network) and demand (no arrivals access) since the advent of the Centurion lounge. Lets see how 2023 shakes out with everyone then having to pay the $695 fee and $50/guest.

Last edited by mia; May 27, 2022 at 2:15 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I don't know what people expect given Amex have been absolutely pumping Platinum cards the past 12-18 months and travel is back again (TSA throughput comps are back to 2019 levels), the lounges are going to be busy. You might have to, shock horror, share a table with someone. The expectations, particularly in that Klint word vomit, are ridiculous.
It's Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest travel periods in the United Stats.

Bloggers with a Shocked Pikachu face that lounges are crowded!

Last edited by mia; May 27, 2022 at 2:15 pm Reason: Prune quotation. Remove personal characterization.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Some posts have been edited or removed.

Flyertalk's rules are published here: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules In particular, note these:

12.2 If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

12.3: Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.
In the context of blogs this means you can critique the work product, but not the blogger, and your criticism needs to be supported by substance. Dismissive generalizations will be removed.

Please also remember that moderator actions are not eligible for public discussion. You can contact me directly using the PM system, or the Community Director
MW147 likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:18 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Statman
It's Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest travel periods in the United Stats.

Bloggers with a Shocked Pikachu face that lounges are crowded!
Just left the best CL experience I have ever had here at PHX.

lounge maybe 1/2 full at 1pm on this holiday weekend’s Friday. Amazing food today with juicy chicken and nicely cooked tilapia. So happier having good protein instead of the normal high-carb crap that plagues most US lounges.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:21 am

I am a relatively new Amex Platinum member. My spouse and I tried to use the Centurion Lounge at DFW airport yesterday (yes, I realize it was the Friday of a holiday weekend) and there were at least 20 unhappy looking people queued up to go inside. We simply left and walked over to the Admiral's Club where I'm still a member.

I did not realize until this incident, and subsequently finding this thread, that Centurion Lounge crowding was such an issue. So my question for this group: does this seem to be getting any better lately, or is it pretty much still an issue everywhere? Lounge access was a major reason for signing up, so not sure I'll keep the card next year if I'm also going to have to maintain my AC membership to be able to regularly use an airport lounge.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AADFW
I did not realize until this incident, and subsequently finding this thread, that Centurion Lounge crowding was such an issue. So my question for this group: does this seem to be getting any better lately, or is it pretty much still an issue everywhere? Lounge access was a major reason for signing up, so not sure I'll keep the card next year if I'm also going to have to maintain my AC membership to be able to regularly use an airport lounge.
It's gotten considerably worse recently.

I now consider Centurion lounge access a non-benefit. The DL SkyClub access on the other hand I find super valuable.
SPN Lifer, work2fly, AADFW and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Thing is, this has gone back years. Pre-pandemic there were a number of times I popped into an exceptionally crowded Centurion Lounge for a meal, and as soon as I was done eating hauled it over to an AC to wait for my flight.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....at least 20 unhappy looking people queued up to go inside.....
This is not an American Express problem. Exactly the same at an Admirals Club at Miami on 16 May. Systemwide demand for lounge access exceeds supply.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I am a relatively new Amex Platinum member. My spouse and I tried to use the Centurion Lounge at DFW airport yesterday (yes, I realize it was the Friday of a holiday weekend) and there were at least 20 unhappy looking people queued up to go inside. We simply left and walked over to the Admiral's Club where I'm still a member.

If you’re based out of DFW and are interested in a card for lounge access, your best bet is the Capital One Venture X. I have not been yet to the Capital One lounge at DFW (will be there for the first time later this week) but from everything I’ve heard it’s better than any Centurion lounge. Capital One will also be adding lounges at DEN and IAD.
m907 likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is not an American Express problem. Exactly the same at an Admirals Club at Miami on 16 May. Systemwide demand for lounge access exceeds supply.
Anecdotally perhaps. In my case it's only ever happened twice in 33 years of AC membership with >2 million BIS miles. Once in CLT (due to the new lounge construction) and once in PHX (inadequate capacity).
Old May 29, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Unfortunately it’s become very common at the Skyclubs. Fortunately they are no longer allowing people to arrive more than three hours early so I think this will cut down on the problems at FLL with Al the cruise passengers going right to the airport when arriving in FLLand MIA and spending all day waiting on their flight in the clubs.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mia
The DFW lounge has always been a little crowded, thinking back even five years ago. It’s kind of small even for a large airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.