Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. The store is not operated by American Airlines. (Welcome to the website of OVERTURE, LLC.) This means that the card transaction is not likely to be processed by American Airlines, and only airline transactions are eligible for reimbursement.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by nall
The system does not pick them up automatically, so you have to get a CSR that will process it for you.
This was great advice.

The CSR told me because of the amount ($200.20), AMEX assumes it's too large for a change fee. Not sure that's factual. I informed the agent it was a change fee and she credited me the $200 (max for biz plat) without asking for a receipt.

I paid for another change using my Aspire card. The total fee was $441 ( $200 + fare difference). It will be interesting when I call next week to see if I'll get the full $250 credit or if it will be limited to the actual change fee (which is my guess).
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Data point, had to call to get manually credited a change fee that was bundled as a 291.31 charge from AA. Was no problem getting it done. Already had 11.60 award fee/tax reimbursed this year, so I have drained the credit on my Amex Pat which makes me happy!

Safe Travels
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:18 pm

AA Plat Challenge

$500 didn't automatically post. Called in and she resolved the $200 within a couple minutes. Super easy to do
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
If my company buys me a domestic ticket in Y and I call AA to pay the difference to upgrade to F within 24 hours is this considered an upfare or an upgrade?

I read the Wiki and am not clear as to which is which.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
If my company buys me a domestic ticket in Y and I call AA to pay the difference to upgrade to F within 24 hours is this considered an upfare or an upgrade?

I read the Wiki and am not clear as to which is which.
That's an upfare.
355F1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:49 am

MCE posted on Plat 2/15. So far, no credit.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:25 am

MCE credited on 2/20.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:02 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Booked the following with my AMEX GOLD on Feb 21 with AA Miles and Air Tahiti Nui metal on the long-haul last-minute departing the next day:

-one-way international award ticket PHX-LAX-PPT with $5.60 in taxes/fees.

-one-way international award ticket PPT-LAX in J with $49.45 in taxes/fees.

Both charges credited back on Feb 27 automatically.

Abidjan likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Charged a flight change on my Amex Aspire on 2.14.20.
Called last week to get the credit and was told I had to wait 14 days. Told me to call back on 2.28.20.
Called back today and was told that I never selected my airline (totally false), so no credit would be given.
- I asked if I had to select every year and was told no, I just had to select once and that choice would remain in tact until or unless I change it at the beginning of the year.
- I asked who was listed as my selected airlines. Reply was I've never made an airline selection.
- I asked how I was given travel credits for American Airlines fees in 2018 & 2019 if no airline was selected. No response other than there's no record of an airline choice being made.
- I asked again how credit would be given in prior years by that logic. Finally, the agent agreed that something wasn't right.

After a long hold, agent came back and told me that AMEX was going to do me the great favor of granting my airline selection retroactively in order to receive the credit. I would have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the credit to post, if approved.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Upgraded my flight using miles +$350 copay on 1/22 and haven't got reimbursed since. The statement categorizes it as "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase". I contacted Amex and was told that it was not eligible for reimbursement.

Any recent changes? Will HUCA help?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
Charged a flight change on my Amex Aspire on 2.14.20.
Called last week to get the credit and was told I had to wait 14 days. Told me to call back on 2.28.20.
Called back today and was told that I never selected my airline (totally false), so no credit would be given.
- I asked if I had to select every year and was told no, I just had to select once and that choice would remain in tact until or unless I change it at the beginning of the year.
- I asked who was listed as my selected airlines. Reply was I've never made an airline selection.
- I asked how I was given travel credits for American Airlines fees in 2018 & 2019 if no airline was selected. No response other than there's no record of an airline choice being made.
- I asked again how credit would be given in prior years by that logic. Finally, the agent agreed that something wasn't right.

After a long hold, agent came back and told me that AMEX was going to do me the great favor of granting my airline selection retroactively in order to receive the credit. I would have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the credit to post, if approved.
Similar thing happened to me. But, luckily, I used chat. I selected SW in January, but used chat to change the Airline selection to AA in Feb. So, when credits didn't post, I chatted and was told wait for 14 days. When I chatted 14 days later, I was asked "do you know you didn't had airline selection?". I referred to previous chat when I changed airline selection. The rep said don't worry, there was a glitch in the system and will provide the credit. Waiting on that one. Hopefully, yours will get posted too.
txpenny likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:47 am

2 Award flights, for one the fees & taxes were $49.55 (posted 2/25) and the other was $16.50 (2/26). Neither has posted. Should I chat them and describe them as phone booking fees? (I technically booked over the phone, but the phone booking fee was waived since they weren't bookable online).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bdubs7
2 Award flights, for one the fees & taxes were $49.55 (posted 2/25) and the other was $16.50 (2/26). Neither has posted. Should I chat them and describe them as phone booking fees? (I technically booked over the phone, but the phone booking fee was waived since they weren't bookable online).
You can try but avoid saying or using the word Award anywhere in your phone or chat conversation. But it would be odd to have such variable phone booking fees as well as 49.55 being an odd number in itself for such a fee. These fees would make more sense if attributed to seat selection because those type of fees do vary by even more than that and also can be random amounts.

Also, you may want to wait a few more days because it can take 3 to 5 business days for automatic posting. Plus manual posting they won't do unless 14 days have passed. So either way you need to do some patient waiting now.
bdubs7 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:05 pm

I know we shouldn't say those for taxes and fee. In my case, when I was chatting, I was probed as to what specifically those charges were. I had to say they were taxes and fee on award booking. I was waiting for the rep to say it's not going to be covered. But, she actually went ahead and said the credit will be processed. I just noticed they were processed too. I guess I got luck this one time. Remember, my enrollement was glitched and appeared like I was not enrolled. So, the rep had to fix it and process the credit too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.