Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:34 pm

Alright so I picked AA as my airline, using a $200 eVoucher on a $300 flight. So if it all works out I should see a $100 credit via the Amex Plat Biz preferred airline choice.

Will update this DP!
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:34 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Amex Aspire $250 Credit
5/28: Purchased Mileage Multiplier on an existing Ticket. $255 for 8500 miles.
6/1: $250 in airline reimbursement posted
Stickboy46 and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Doing the same thing

Originally Posted by atxvinyl
Alright so I picked AA as my airline, using a $200 eVoucher on a $300 flight. So if it all works out I should see a $100 credit via the Amex Plat Biz preferred airline choice.

Will update this DP!
$175 ticket, $125 voucher. Will update.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:20 pm

Will update this DP!
No credit yet. Might contact Chat and see whats up.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Alright so I picked AA as my airline, using a $200 eVoucher on a $300 flight.....
If you expand the details of the $100 charge, what is the description of the transaction?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you expand the details of the $100 charge, what is the description of the transaction?
See attachment

Last edited by atxvinyl; Jun 5, 2020 at 6:57 pm
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think you will see additional details if you look at the desktop interface rather than the mobile version.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think you will see additional details if you look at the desktop interface rather than the mobile version.

see attachment, it can see the flight and ticket ### on tx details
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by mia
AA mileage purchase could be reimbursed, because AA sells the miles directly, rather than outsourcing. However, it's not cost effective to buy a tiny amount of miles, and if you buy a large amount the system will likely not mistake the transaction for a fee.
I have bad news, and two negative data points. I tried this with direct mile purchases from AA.com (not mileage multiplier) for amounts a bit above and a bit below $100, and neither worked.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I have bad news, and two negative data points. I tried this with direct mile purchases from AA.com (not mileage multiplier) for amounts a bit above and a bit below $100, and neither worked.
Sounds right.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Data Point - partial, low dollar ticket

Purchased a roundtrip ticket for $174.10 - used $125 voucher for part and Amex Gold with AA selected for the balance. Purchased 6/1, reimbursed for the $49.90 with the Amex incidental credit.

I saw a $100 ticket didn't work a few posts above this, but this one definitely did.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:34 pm

Is there anyway to purchase a refundable ticket (for like $100) and pay for extras (seat assignment and extra luggages) for around $150 (example). Get reimbursed by Amex Platinum credits (for the $150) and later call AA to ask to cancel the ticket and convert the amount paid in an e-ticket ($250 value)? Seems to be possible with other airlines, but not sure with American Airlines.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wowzera
Is there anyway to purchase a refundable ticket (for like $100) and pay for extras (seat assignment and extra luggages) for around $150 (example). Get reimbursed by Amex Platinum credits (for the $150) and later call AA to ask to cancel the ticket and convert the amount paid in an e-ticket ($250 value)? Seems to be possible with other airlines, but not sure with American Airlines.
Please read before posting. The post immediately above yours says that "Like $100" doesn't seem to get credited, but much less than that did get credited.

Meanwhile, AA will automatically refund separately purchased seat assignment fees to the original payment source, as will United (for Economy Plus purchases). So I'm not sure what "other airlines" you're talking about (other than Southwest).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 7, 2020 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please read before posting. The post immediately above yours is a datapoint that you're looking for. "Like $100" doesn't seem to work, but much less than that did work.
maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I mean a refund of the ticket and extras to a eVoucher, instead of refunding back to the credit card. I would make sure that the extras (seat assignment and extra luggages) were reimbursed by Amex before. After that, I would request a cancellation to AA and ask for the entire amount be refundable as a voucher to future use in AA flights.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wowzera
maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I mean a refund of the ticket and extras to a eVoucher, instead of refunding back to the credit card. I would make sure that the extras (seat assignment and extra luggages) were reimbursed by Amex before. After that, I would request a cancellation to AA and ask for the entire amount be refundable as a voucher to future use in AA flights.
Yes, but my point is that if a "like $100" purchase will never get credit by Amex in the first place, what's the point of buying "like $100" to get it refunded to a different source?

Meanwhile, you have to ask in AA forum that AA's refund policies are, not in the Amex forum. Other airlines who offered vouchers got many complaints about that, and I haven't heard about those kinds of complaints at AA, so that leads to me suspect that AA may automatically refund to the original form of payment, which is what most people want. AA certainly refunded my upgrade fees to the original form of payment, and so did United. So I suggest you research carefully in the AA forum before you assume that you can get a voucher for things other than the fare itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.