Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I’ve read through the “new rules” since AMEX has finally enforced the no credit on gift card policy. As a paid F/J flyer, how do I get any airline credits other than buying the mileage multiplier? I have Admirals Club access for my entire family through Citi. It wasn’t clear to me in the wiki if I could purchase a coach ticket, then immediately upgrade it to business and receive credit.

I called AMEX and the rep basically told me that there was not much available in credits to someone booking paid F/J.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:52 am

I will add that I was given a 5000 point retention bonus to keep my Biz Plat open with another 25000 points granted if I spend 10K in three months (I never threatened to close the account).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by txpenny
I’ve read through the “new rules” since AMEX has finally enforced the no credit on gift card policy. As a paid F/J flyer, how do I get any airline credits other than buying the mileage multiplier? I have Admirals Club access for my entire family through Citi. It wasn’t clear to me in the wiki if I could purchase a coach ticket, then immediately upgrade it to business and receive credit.

I called AMEX and the rep basically told me that there was not much available in credits to someone booking paid F/J.
Admiral Club food and beverage spend is reimbursed.

Upgrades have not been reimbursed in my experience.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:59 am

DP: MCE reimbursed within 2 days of charge posting. Meter didn't move until credit posted for me though.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
Admiral Club food and beverage spend is reimbursed.

Upgrades have not been reimbursed in my experience.
Yep. Unfortunately (for reimbursement) I have multiple people getting the admirals club benefit through my Citibank World Elite card, and associated AU cards.

So as someone who books F/J, is my only reimbursable option to purchase additional miles through mileage boost?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Yep. Unfortunately (for reimbursement) I have multiple people getting the admirals club benefit through my Citibank World Elite card, and associated AU cards.

So as someone who books F/J, is my only reimbursable option to purchase additional miles through mileage boost?
You can purchase premium liquor or order food from the menu within the club at additional cost, which is reimbursed.

I’ve purchased sandwiches, drinkable yogurt, premium alcohol, etc
txpenny and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

No, you can use the AmEx Platinum to buy upgraded food and beverages inside the Admirals Clubs.
Segments likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Change Fee, HH Aspire

Charged two change fees to the card. The credit did not post in expected time frame. Called agent, and while she had me on hold I discovered likely culprit: the charges consisted of the fee AND $49.20 in change of airfare. I believe this may have caused the charges to post as airfare. She had already manually started crediting my account when we talked again, and I explained the charges to her correctly. In the end she credited me $250, but advised me only $200 of my Airline Credit would be deducted because she had manually entered a credit of $50 already.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Charged two change fees to the card. The credit did not post in expected time frame. Called agent, and while she had me on hold I discovered likely culprit: the charges consisted of the fee AND $49.20 in change of airfare. I believe this may have caused the charges to post as airfare. She had already manually started crediting my account when we talked again, and I explained the charges to her correctly. In the end she credited me $250, but advised me only $200 of my Airline Credit would be deducted because she had manually entered a credit of $50 already.
Change fees are eligible? I've charged change fees to no avail.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
From T&C: "Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"... no exclusions for change fees.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
So news to me, I have always gotten the $5.60 reimbursed when I get award tickets and now they are not being credited. As it is it took 9 days to credit back MCE seat fees to the card and I just got off the phone with CS asking about the $5.60 charges and he mentioned to wait 14 days and then call back and they may not be covered because they are award fees. Honestly, this credit is getting really ridiculous to use.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:40 am

The system does not pick them up automatically, so you have to get a CSR that will process it for you.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:28 am

Has anyone had success using partial gift card payment along with AMEX? I have seen people reporting success with Delta, but haven't seen any over here on the AA side. All of those AA gift cards we purchased before could come in handy to use this years credit if that works.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by meyerjoe83
Has anyone had success using partial gift card payment along with AMEX? I have seen people reporting success with Delta, but haven't seen any over here on the AA side. All of those AA gift cards we purchased before could come in handy to use this years credit if that works.
If you look back in this thread, you will get your answer. Search Colonel Custer.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:34 am

AA Reimbursement at AA Brand Store?

Has anyone heard if AA store purchases are reimbursed? Cursory search of the forum didn't bring anything up. Thanks!
AA Store: aabrandstore.com/index.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.