Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UltraSean
I'm about to snag a mileage upgrade on a TPAC flight which I think will have a decent chance to clear. Does anyone know if the $350 copay will trigger the amex credit?
It's usually worked before. Look in the wikipost above under Upgrades, it has links to various reports about it (including one of mine). Those reports are mostly in the 2019 thread (given that we're only about 2 weeks into 2020 at this point), but the links in the wiki still work to pull them up.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
2x award ticket taxes at 5.60 apiece - posted as 2 separate 5.60 transactions, neither was reimbursed. Has been ~11 days.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:45 pm

Purchased Multiplier for both passengers on the same reservation, 2 separate charges of 161+ and 80+ posted and reimbursed 3 days later
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Purchased Admirals Club membership online, $200 reimbursement credit posted 3 days later.
mia likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:13 am

Award redeposit fee not reimbursed

$50 Award mileage redeposit fee posted 1/15. No change in annual reimbursement indicator, and no reimbursement as of now.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:04 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Admirals Club F&B Reimbursed

Another data point on F&B purchases at Admirals Clubs- I had a $25 bar purchase at the Austin location on 1/21 and today it has been reflected on my tracker online. (The charge itself doesn’t specify which club location it was from, so I suspect it’s the same coding as day passes or memberships purchased at the desk.)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
MCE reimbursed

MCE $38 reimbursed automatically 3 days after.

By the way, you can charge to your selected airline from the previous year and select a new airline in January and charge to the newly selected one going forward.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm a little confused as how a change fee would show up. If your new fare is the same as the old fare or less, you would be charged the change fee or something less if the new ticket is cheaper.

If the new fare is higher, then it would be more than the change fee. Do they both show up on the Amex statement the same way? If an exchange which involves a change fee and higher fare works, shouldn't the gift card trick work?

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 25, 2020 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Also a question on award cancellation fees. The wiki says no, but each of the data points in the wiki say they were able to get it credited manually (one took a couple of tries, others seemed like first call was successful). Are there cases where it didn't ultimately get credited?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Booked an AA OW flight and went back in a day later to change the "regular" seat to a MCE. Transaction for the $63.57 for the MCE seat posted on 1/22 and the CREDIT of $63.57 posted on 1/25. Still need to use $36.43 of the Amex Gold credit but overall still pretty happy with them allowing MCE as a credit option. Definitely a little more effort than just getting a gift card last year but as long as MCE stays an option I am ok with it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
I read through this thread and didn't see an example of this scenario, so I'm interested if anyone has any datapoints on this:

* I have a paid ticket on hold (must be purchased by tonight), which I will partly pay using some leftover AA gift cards that I have.
* The remaining amount to pay on AMEX PLT card is $133.

Would the $133 charge to the AMEX PLT be reimbursed from the $200 credit?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Award flight taxes/fees ($54) not reimbursed.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Freckles68
Award flight taxes/fees ($54) not reimbursed.
My $5.60 was reimbursed (award flight taxes).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AAMCI
I read through this thread and didn't see an example of this scenario, so I'm interested if anyone has any datapoints on this:

* I have a paid ticket on hold (must be purchased by tonight), which I will partly pay using some leftover AA gift cards that I have.
* The remaining amount to pay on AMEX PLT card is $133.

Would the $133 charge to the AMEX PLT be reimbursed from the $200 credit?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Based on my experience, most likely not. If it was under $50 then I think you’d stand a chance.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:44 am

Can someone answer a few questions i have on how to do this right.

1-- I am looking to book some flights for august. Do i book the flights and add main cabin experience at the time i buy the flights or do i buy the flights on one charge. then log back into my american airlines account say a few days later and buy the Main Cabin experience separately? Can they be bought on another day or do they need to be bought when buying the initial flights? I am looking for more of the mechanics then anything else.

2. I chatted with amex and explained to them that some flights give you an option to purchase for lets say 30 dollars a flight the ability to have a seat. Basically the difference between going from basic economy where you dont get a seat to the next class. so i told them this is me buying a seat and they said to just chat back with them and they would manually credit it. Anyone have experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.