Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Yes. I bought one about 2 weeks ago, reimbursed within 48 hours. Bought four more to max out my $200, $160 reimbursed within 48 hours.

I don't really use the stickers much but it was better than nothing. I don't usually get wifi when flying but I have several trips in a 30-day period coming up, and I might buy the $50 monthly wifi pass (after the new year and new credit of course). Unfortunately, as I understand it, flight passes aren't reimbursed but monthly passes are.
Thanks! FWIW my in flight wifi pass was not reimbursed last time I flew.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Budoka
I am sorry everyone if this is a nOOb question but when trying to use the Airline Credit...for charges that are eligible...should I try to keep the charge under the $100.00 (Gold) or $200.00 (Platinum). Or can it exceed those thresholds and I will be credited up to the credit amount and pay the remaining?

I am looking at the mileage multiplier and/or Seat Selection options.
Originally Posted by anabolism
If the charge is for something clearly stated by AmEx as being eligible, it's fine if it's over, you'll get credited up to the amount of your remaining credit. If it's something iffy, I'd personally try to keep the charge low (e.g., $50-$75) to make it more likely to get processed automatically.

I believe seat selection is clearly stated as being eligible, but I think Mileage Multiplier is ineligible as it's a purchase of miles. So my advice is go as big as you like on seat selection, but try to keep the Mileage Multiplier to individual smaller charges.
Originally Posted by friedablass
Check the Wiki, Mileage Multiplier is an approved reimbursement.
@friedablass, not sure what your point is. What I said is that per my understanding of AmEx's terms, purchasing miles isn't supposed to work. We all know it does, that's in the Wiki, and as I've posted many times, is the option I use. The Wiki lists what's known to work, not what's officially spelled out in the AmEx terms. My post was answering @Budoka's question, which I thought was clear since I quoted the question.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
@friedablass, not sure what your point is. What I said is that per my understanding of AmEx's terms, purchasing miles isn't supposed to work. We all know it does, that's in the Wiki, and as I've posted many times, is the option I use. The Wiki lists what's known to work, not what's officially spelled out in the AmEx terms. My post was answering @Budoka's question, which I thought was clear since I quoted the question.
No worries and no reason to get defensive .

While you understood that the OP wanted to know what was reimbursable according to the letter of the law, I understood that the OP wanted to know in general what has a track record of getting reimbursed and if they can charge in excess of the airline credit amount even though it may not be explicitly within the Amex terms. There are many charges (i.e. UA Travel Bank, low value tickets on B6 or WN) that are most likely (or for sure) are not the intention of Amex use of this credit but nevertheless have a proven track record of pretty consistently getting reimbursed automatically.

Thus if OP was looking to use the credit for Mileage Multiplier even if not officially an eligible charge then I was just pointing out that there is no need to hesitate as it's already been proven time and again that it gets reimbursed as per the Wiki, even up to the full amount of the airline credit.

Cheers!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
No worries and no reason to get defensive .

While you understood that the OP wanted to know what was reimbursable according to the letter of the law, I understood that the OP wanted to know in general what has a track record of getting reimbursed and if they can charge in excess of the airline credit amount even though it may not be explicitly within the Amex terms. There are many charges (i.e. UA Travel Bank, low value tickets on B6 or WN) that are most likely (or for sure) are not the intention of Amex use of this credit but nevertheless have a proven track record of pretty consistently getting reimbursed automatically.

Thus if OP was looking to use the credit for Mileage Multiplier even if not officially an eligible charge then I was just pointing out that there is no need to hesitate as it's already been proven time and again that it gets reimbursed as per the Wiki, even up to the full amount of the airline credit.

Cheers!
My understanding of the question was if it matters if a charge is a large or small amount (specifically, if a charge for seats or miles is over or under the fee cap that AmEx provides). My point was simply that when making charges that are not clearly officially covered, it's safer to make them in smaller amounts, to make it more likely that the charge is automatically credited without need to contact AmEx.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:44 pm

Hi everyone. I wasn't trying to cause drama on the forum. I really just didn't know thus my question. LOL

Anyway, I used my Platinum Card for seat selection on a flight I have next year for appx $215 and I used my Gold for the Mileage Multiplier for $97. AA split the multiplier transaction into two charges for each leg of the trip. I'll report back if and when they are credited. Keeping my fingers crossed.
friedablass likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:19 pm

Hi everyone. I wasn't trying to cause drama on the forum. I really just didn't know thus my question. LOL
It was a perfectly reasonable question.

Anyway, I used my Platinum Card for seat selection on a flight I have next year for appx $215 and I used my Gold for the Mileage Multiplier for $97. AA split the multiplier transaction into two charges for each leg of the trip. I'll report back if and when they are credited. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm confident these will be credited without fuss, but please do report back.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:12 pm

Just had a first class upgrade fee charged in 12/27, reimbursed on 12/29.
friedablass likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:52 pm

Nice. Was that from Full Fare Business Class to First?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:51 pm

Nice. Was that from Full Fare Business Class to First?
No it was just a main cabin upgrade to first class.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2022-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.