Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Global321
Reading the wiki, this seems to be the consensus results.
(My method; if virtually all said yes, it was a yes. If virtually all said no, it was a no. Multiple yes/no went into 50/50)

Feel free to point out anything wrong/different opinion.

50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Baggage
How can baggage fees not be reimbursed? They're even listed as an example on the summary blurb:

Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees, such as checked bags and in-flight refreshments, are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card® Account.*
(As an aside about in-flight Wi-Fi, the Barclays AAviator card reimburss up to $25 per year.)
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
How can baggage fees not be reimbursed? They're even listed as an example on the summary blurb:

(As an aside about in-flight Wi-Fi, the Barclays AAviator card reimburss up to $25 per year.)
I don't know. But from the wiki...

Baggage*:
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Baggage*:
Given that baggage fees are explicitly called out as an example, I would think that if a baggage fee wasn't automatically reimbursed, a call or chat would quickly fix that.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Baggage
The negative reports state only that baggage was not reimbursed automatically.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Since I am not flying AA anymore I just requested a change in designated "reimbursement carrier". No problem changing to Delta. I had not gotten any AA reimbursement yet this year.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
The negative reports state only that baggage was not reimbursed automatically.
Updated.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:11 am
mia

Updated.
Are you going to copy your summary into the Wikipost?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mia
Are you going to copy your summary into the Wikipost?
Sure - I am happy to do. I didn't want to step on any toes or discourage any individual reporting.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:35 am
mia

I do not foresee that the summary would replace the collection of datapoints, if it is presented as a summary (as of July 2020) of the data below, please continue etc etc.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:50 pm

Are phone booking fees for award tickets reimbursable? I wasn't certain if all phone booking fees can be reimbursed.

Award fee reimbursement seems hit or miss but this post suggests that phone booking fees can qualify for reimbursement? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32129383-post103.html

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jul 23, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:53 pm

Has anyone ever had charges for AA buddy passes reimbursed?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are phone booking fees for award tickets reimbursable? I wasn't certain if all phone booking fees can be reimbursed.

Award fee reimbursement seems hit or miss but this post suggests that phone booking fees can qualify for reimbursement? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32129383-post103.html
Should be eligible, but you may have to wait a few weeks and request a manual reimbursement.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: Continental; American; Delta
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Purchased a roundtrip ticket for $174.10 - used $125 voucher for part and Amex Gold with AA selected for the balance. Purchased 6/1, reimbursed for the $49.90 with the Amex incidental credit.

I saw a $100 ticket didn't work a few posts above this, but this one definitely did.
I am familiar with the DL trick of using a gift card with balance on AX. This is not known to work on AA. I saw your DP so on 7/28 I bought two one-way tickets using AA gift cards with the respective ticket balances of $48 and $43 charged to AX Plat. Neither charge was credited back. Perhaps your use of a voucher vs my use of a gift card was the distinction.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:19 pm

Just recently had some a few $5.60 award tax reimbursements. In the past this has not worked for me, the only thing that has changed (in so far as I can tell) is that we were purchasing two award tickets at the same time.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:18 pm

Just another DP:
Purchased Basic Economy, 2 - one way tickets from LAS-MIA for Feb 2021.
Did Main Cabin Extra upgrade for both seats $115
Did Mileage Multiplier $75
Both separate transactions on Amex Aspire on 6/10.
Both were fully refunded on 6/13.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.