Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by persoid
I'm reading through the terms of the Alaska Wallet funds and do not see any indication that they expire within 1 year of the ticket booking, as indicated in some of the comments.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...y-wallet-terms

Am I missing something?
Different things can go into the Wallet. If you buy a gift card/certificate, I think there is no expiration date associated with those funds when put in the wallet. But funds from a cancelled ticket do have an expiration data. The wallet doesn’t just represent a sum of money, you can see the sources of funds in the wallet and their expiration dates.

LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Different things can go into the Wallet. If you buy a gift card/certificate, I think there is no expiration date associated with those funds when put in the wallet. But funds from a cancelled ticket do have an expiration data. The wallet doesn’t just represent a sum of money, you can see the sources of funds in the wallet and their expiration dates.
Very helpful. Thank you!
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2020 at 4:42 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Few new data points:

Amex Gold - 2 purchases for 53.90 and 43.90 on 1/8, both credits automatically posted on 1/11. Two similar purchases for the same amounts but using the 2019 credit in December did not automatically credit and had to be manually requested via chat
Amex Personal Plat - 5 purchases all on 1/8 for 53.90, 43.90, 43.90, 38.40, and 38.40 , however only one credit for 43.90 posted on 1/11. Will wait a little longer before chatting and requesting manual credit for the remaining ones that did not automatically post

All of the above flights were cancelled for AS wallet credit on 1/10 after the 24hr cancel window had passed
akr1970akr and pointscrusher like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Few new data points:

Amex Gold - 2 purchases for 53.90 and 43.90 on 1/8, both credits automatically posted on 1/11. Two similar purchases for the same amounts but using the 2019 credit in December did not automatically credit and had to be manually requested via chat
Amex Personal Plat - 5 purchases all on 1/8 for 53.90, 43.90, 43.90, 38.40, and 38.40 , however only one credit for 43.90 posted on 1/11. Will wait a little longer before chatting and requesting manual credit for the remaining ones that did not automatically post

All of the above flights were cancelled for AS wallet credit on 1/10 after the 24hr cancel window had passed
thanks for sharing! when requesting the manual adjustment via chat, what did you say the charges were for?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have three premium seat charges. None posted. I tried chat last night and the rep says he tried to manually credit but their systems won’t allow it until the 14 day mark. And it is 14 days from the posted date, not the purchase date. He said I have to chat again on day 14.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have three premium seat charges. None posted. I tried chat last night and the rep says he tried to manually credit but their systems won’t allow it until the 14 day mark. And it is 14 days from the posted date, not the purchase date. He said I have to chat again on day 14.
AmEx has become such a pain in the ****. It has become harder and harder to get benefits .
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by soundore
I did this with 2 cards at the Alaska Lounge in Concourse C at SeaTac on Wednesday without any pushback. The agent commented that she had to do it manually.

Any chance you have additional details on what the SeaTac agent did to process the membership with two cards? I'm at the PDX lounge today and tried to the same thing, but the lounge agent was not able to process the membership charge on two cards, though I do give her credit for trying. She ended up letting me in for the day and gave me the lounge email address and said I can email them to see if that's something they can do.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:16 pm

Anyone know what route has the most expensive seat upgrade fee? Currently I am finding $119 for SAN-HNL. (One thing I am bummed about is how the upgrade fee isn't less if you are forced to pay a more expensive bucket Y ticket.)

Last edited by HIFlya; Jan 13, 2020 at 4:24 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Anyone know what route has the most expensive seat upgrade fee? Currently I am finding $119 for SAN-HNL. (One thing I am bummed about is how the upgrade fee isn't less if you are forced to pay a more expensive bucket Y ticket.)

I've seen $134 DCA-PDX
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by NRTBound2015
I've seen $134 DCA-PDX
Thanks for the heads-up. Just did some random dummy bookings, found it for $99. Seems like HNL-SAN is the most consistent at $119.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Anyone know what route has the most expensive seat upgrade fee?
I have seen $139 EWR-SFO and successfully purchased/credited it.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by rt1flea
I have seen $139 EWR-SFO and successfully purchased/credited it.
Thanks...with taxes...it might be enough to get to about $152? That is the amount I need to use up.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Couldn't find this through a search... Does anyone know if the $125 change/cancellation fee triggers the credit? I have a legitimate fee I need to pay for a change...
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soartoday
Couldn't find this through a search... Does anyone know if the $125 change/cancellation fee triggers the credit? ...
THIS post says yes.
soartoday likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:23 pm

I am curious, when you get a refund on a refundable fare, how does it post on Amex? Just as a refund, or does it specify what ticket you are refunding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.