Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:02 am
  #601  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by MaxVO
How many Aspire benefits are you trying to consume? Seems it only takes three x $89 to exhaust $250.
just $250 back. I just wanted to make sure if I upgrade seats with amex aspire, I will have $250 back. I bought my tickets with alaska visa card for free check in bag.
Thank you.
tiffany is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:48 pm
  #602  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS 75k
Posts: 1,523
Originally Posted by tiffany
just $250 back. I just wanted to make sure if I upgrade seats with amex aspire, I will have $250 back. I bought my tickets with alaska visa card for free check in bag.
Thank you.
It doesnít matter what credit card you use to buy the tickets, but one of the pax on the reservation has to have the B of A Alaska card in order for everyone (up to 7 pax) to get a free bag.
MaxVO and Arsene Wenger like this.
flymonthly is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 5:07 pm
  #603  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Posts: 7,473
Okay -- I'm ready to upgrade my surpass to aspire - I am currently putting over 20K on my card a month including $1K in airfare and $500 in hotels. The bill gets paid off every month, so I carry no balance. I am nearly to diamond from Gold based on CC spend.

I am 100K and MM on Alaska so no need for food in coach. I don't check bags. I do have a lounge membership and I wouldn't mind upfaring my tickets if there isn't much difference between main cabin and F.

Can I use the $250 statement credit be applied to upfaring or paying off part of my AL lounge membership in 2022?

Many thanks.

lala
lalala is online now  
Old May 7, 2022, 9:18 pm
  #604  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,183
Originally Posted by lalala
....paying off part of my AL lounge membership in 2022?
Yes, lounge access is eligible for reimbursement.
lalala likes this.
mia is online now  
Old May 11, 2022, 8:28 am
  #605  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Posts: 601
Latest info on credits reimbursement?
I am trying to understand the state of credits reimbursement - correct me if I'm wrong:
1/ <$100 AS tickets are reimbursed only sporadically, no longer reliable
2/ best way to get a reimbursement (esp if MVP) is buy a ticket with no comp upgrade, purchase a seat upgrade
3/ this will be 2 separate charges on AMEX (can you split payment on this? I.e., pay ticket with AS Visa, upgrade with AMEX?)
4/ Is there a way to preserve the base ticket and ONLY cancel the seat upgrade for credit (and get your MVP upgrade)?

OR

5/ is best way - only way? - to buy a ticket, buy the seat upgrade, cancel the ticket (bc it will be 2 separate charges?)
6/ or can you buy the ticket, come back next day and buy upgrade, then cancel everything?
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by tripmaster; May 15, 2022 at 3:20 pm
tripmaster is offline  
Old May 22, 2022, 6:10 pm
  #606  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SAN
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 4,421
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
The credit does work for the 12.50$ partner booking fee
Just called in for exactly that ($25 for two one-way tickets that I later cancelled and got the taxes etc. back) but the rep was very persistent in saying those would not be covered.
frankvb is offline  
Old May 22, 2022, 6:16 pm
  #607  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Posts: 1,085
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Latest info on credits reimbursement?
I am trying to understand the state of credits reimbursement - correct me if I'm wrong:
1/ <$100 AS tickets are reimbursed only sporadically, no longer reliable
2/ best way to get a reimbursement (esp if MVP) is buy a ticket with no comp upgrade, purchase a seat upgrade
3/ this will be 2 separate charges on AMEX (can you split payment on this? I.e., pay ticket with AS Visa, upgrade with AMEX?)
4/ Is there a way to preserve the base ticket and ONLY cancel the seat upgrade for credit (and get your MVP upgrade)?

OR

5/ is best way - only way? - to buy a ticket, buy the seat upgrade, cancel the ticket (bc it will be 2 separate charges?)
6/ or can you buy the ticket, come back next day and buy upgrade, then cancel everything?
You cancel both you just need to purchase a Main fare so you get the credit back to your wallet. Also, yes, you can buy the ticket and the seat upgrade separately but there is no reason to.
tripmaster likes this.
puddy is offline  
Old May 22, 2022, 6:18 pm
  #608  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Posts: 1,085
Just throwing out a recent data point that changing a ticket where you need to pay more triggers the credit, at least for changes under $100. I changed a recent ticket where it added $70 to the fare and was credited automatically.
mpeterson78 and mildfrequence like this.
puddy is offline  
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 am
  #609  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 4,751
Originally Posted by puddy
Just throwing out a recent data point that changing a ticket where you need to pay more triggers the credit, at least for changes under $100. I changed a recent ticket where it added $70 to the fare and was credited automatically.
This worked for me very early this year, but hasnít for the last few months, so YMMV.
econ is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:54 pm
  #610  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA
Posts: 71
Data Point: Attempted to max out without any front money, so only used the $ in my AS wallet. Almost made it, but had to charge $1 additional in fare for the first flight (not reimbursed). Then did a $18.99 PC on that flight, which was reimbursed automatically (yay!), then canceled that flight so had more AS wallet $, and bought a slightly more expensive ticket with a slightly more expensive PC, rinse/repeat/etc. None of the other PCs were automatically reimbursed, but all were reimbursed via chat. Hooray! Thanks all for the excellent advice here
newbie_flyer is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:34 am
  #611  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG, Hyatt GoH
Posts: 624
3 PC seat selection fees, had to chat in several times as they insisted I wait the full 4 weeks. Today at 4+ weeks I wrote in and they tried to say it takes 8 weeks. What BS, getting these fees feels like pulling teeth, the agent really didn't want to manually issue the credits.



Finally after I insisted they said they issued a manual credit that takes 5 business days to show up, we'll see about that. I will get these fees refunded!

Was so much better when it automatically happed for me last year...

Last edited by RedPanda5; Jun 16, 2022 at 12:44 am
RedPanda5 is online now  
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:35 pm
  #612  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS
Posts: 409
Originally Posted by econ
This worked for me very early this year, but hasnít for the last few months, so YMMV.
I had the same experience with a $40 ticket fee to change dates a few weeks ago but another $40 change today got credited. Go figure.
Ted S is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:30 am
  #613  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 8,278
I'm still waiting on my $9.50 chili beef wrap from May 3. I've also called and chatted and still nothing. On board food IS supposed to be included, right?
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:34 pm
  #614  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SNA
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by richiezc
3 PC seat selection fees, had to chat in several times as they insisted I wait the full 4 weeks. Today at 4+ weeks I wrote in and they tried to say it takes 8 weeks. What BS, getting these fees feels like pulling teeth, the agent really didn't want to manually issue the credits.

Finally after I insisted they said they issued a manual credit that takes 5 business days to show up, we'll see about that. I will get these fees refunded!

Was so much better when it automatically happed for me last year...
Had the same experience with PC seat fees. Not auto-credited and chat request required. Had a very agreeable agent, though, who didn't challenge anything and credit appeared within 24 hours.
pmblinn is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:39 pm
  #615  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 26
I have some balance in Alaska wallet, does using balance+credit card work for reimbursement? I tried several times for DL and it worked, not sure about AS though
starmie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.