Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
How many Aspire benefits are you trying to consume? Seems it only takes three x $89 to exhaust $250.
just $250 back. I just wanted to make sure if I upgrade seats with amex aspire, I will have $250 back. I bought my tickets with alaska visa card for free check in bag.
Thank you.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by tiffany
just $250 back. I just wanted to make sure if I upgrade seats with amex aspire, I will have $250 back. I bought my tickets with alaska visa card for free check in bag.
Thank you.
It doesnít matter what credit card you use to buy the tickets, but one of the pax on the reservation has to have the B of A Alaska card in order for everyone (up to 7 pax) to get a free bag.
MaxVO and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Okay -- I'm ready to upgrade my surpass to aspire - I am currently putting over 20K on my card a month including $1K in airfare and $500 in hotels. The bill gets paid off every month, so I carry no balance. I am nearly to diamond from Gold based on CC spend.

I am 100K and MM on Alaska so no need for food in coach. I don't check bags. I do have a lounge membership and I wouldn't mind upfaring my tickets if there isn't much difference between main cabin and F.

Can I use the $250 statement credit be applied to upfaring or paying off part of my AL lounge membership in 2022?

Many thanks.

lala
Old May 7, 2022, 9:18 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by lalala
....paying off part of my AL lounge membership in 2022?
Yes, lounge access is eligible for reimbursement.
lalala likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Latest info on credits reimbursement?
I am trying to understand the state of credits reimbursement - correct me if I'm wrong:
1/ <$100 AS tickets are reimbursed only sporadically, no longer reliable
2/ best way to get a reimbursement (esp if MVP) is buy a ticket with no comp upgrade, purchase a seat upgrade
3/ this will be 2 separate charges on AMEX (can you split payment on this? I.e., pay ticket with AS Visa, upgrade with AMEX?)
4/ Is there a way to preserve the base ticket and ONLY cancel the seat upgrade for credit (and get your MVP upgrade)?

OR

5/ is best way - only way? - to buy a ticket, buy the seat upgrade, cancel the ticket (bc it will be 2 separate charges?)
6/ or can you buy the ticket, come back next day and buy upgrade, then cancel everything?
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by tripmaster; May 15, 2022 at 3:20 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
The credit does work for the 12.50$ partner booking fee
Just called in for exactly that ($25 for two one-way tickets that I later cancelled and got the taxes etc. back) but the rep was very persistent in saying those would not be covered.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Latest info on credits reimbursement?
I am trying to understand the state of credits reimbursement - correct me if I'm wrong:
1/ <$100 AS tickets are reimbursed only sporadically, no longer reliable
2/ best way to get a reimbursement (esp if MVP) is buy a ticket with no comp upgrade, purchase a seat upgrade
3/ this will be 2 separate charges on AMEX (can you split payment on this? I.e., pay ticket with AS Visa, upgrade with AMEX?)
4/ Is there a way to preserve the base ticket and ONLY cancel the seat upgrade for credit (and get your MVP upgrade)?

OR

5/ is best way - only way? - to buy a ticket, buy the seat upgrade, cancel the ticket (bc it will be 2 separate charges?)
6/ or can you buy the ticket, come back next day and buy upgrade, then cancel everything?
You cancel both you just need to purchase a Main fare so you get the credit back to your wallet. Also, yes, you can buy the ticket and the seat upgrade separately but there is no reason to.
tripmaster likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Just throwing out a recent data point that changing a ticket where you need to pay more triggers the credit, at least for changes under $100. I changed a recent ticket where it added $70 to the fare and was credited automatically.
mpeterson78 and mildfrequence like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by puddy
Just throwing out a recent data point that changing a ticket where you need to pay more triggers the credit, at least for changes under $100. I changed a recent ticket where it added $70 to the fare and was credited automatically.
This worked for me very early this year, but hasnít for the last few months, so YMMV.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA
Data Point: Attempted to max out without any front money, so only used the $ in my AS wallet. Almost made it, but had to charge $1 additional in fare for the first flight (not reimbursed). Then did a $18.99 PC on that flight, which was reimbursed automatically (yay!), then canceled that flight so had more AS wallet $, and bought a slightly more expensive ticket with a slightly more expensive PC, rinse/repeat/etc. None of the other PCs were automatically reimbursed, but all were reimbursed via chat. Hooray! Thanks all for the excellent advice here
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG, Hyatt GoH
3 PC seat selection fees, had to chat in several times as they insisted I wait the full 4 weeks. Today at 4+ weeks I wrote in and they tried to say it takes 8 weeks. What BS, getting these fees feels like pulling teeth, the agent really didn't want to manually issue the credits.

Finally after I insisted they said they issued a manual credit that takes 5 business days to show up, we'll see about that. I will get these fees refunded!

Was so much better when it automatically happed for me last year...

Last edited by RedPanda5; Jun 16, 2022 at 12:44 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by econ
This worked for me very early this year, but hasnít for the last few months, so YMMV.
I had the same experience with a $40 ticket fee to change dates a few weeks ago but another $40 change today got credited. Go figure.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm still waiting on my $9.50 chili beef wrap from May 3. I've also called and chatted and still nothing. On board food IS supposed to be included, right?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by richiezc
3 PC seat selection fees, had to chat in several times as they insisted I wait the full 4 weeks. Today at 4+ weeks I wrote in and they tried to say it takes 8 weeks. What BS, getting these fees feels like pulling teeth, the agent really didn't want to manually issue the credits.

Finally after I insisted they said they issued a manual credit that takes 5 business days to show up, we'll see about that. I will get these fees refunded!

Was so much better when it automatically happed for me last year...
Had the same experience with PC seat fees. Not auto-credited and chat request required. Had a very agreeable agent, though, who didn't challenge anything and credit appeared within 24 hours.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:39 pm

I have some balance in Alaska wallet, does using balance+credit card work for reimbursement? I tried several times for DL and it worked, not sure about AS though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.