Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I read through a lot of the other thread and saw this question asked but not answered. Can this be used for $125 change or cancellation fee on awards? I have no status with AS so I would pay those fees and wouldn't mind getting them reimbursed.
Yes. But it doesn't always credit automatically, sometimes you have to message them to get it applied.
Since this is an area that should get credited don't hesitate.

I don't know whether it is supposed to credit on awards actually. I just described it as a change fee.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JHake10
A boardroom membership should count, right? I purchased it about 2 weeks ago and no credit. Now that we’re into 2020 I’m hoping they can apply the credit retroactively. Has anyone seen this?
I specifically asked this in chat today so that it would be documented. I was told that as long as it is the lounge of the airline you have selected, it will indeed be covered. Should it not automatically reimburse, contact and they will do it manually.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rune87
I specifically asked this in chat today so that it would be documented. I was told that as long as it is the lounge of the airline you have selected, it will indeed be covered. Should it not automatically reimburse, contact and they will do it manually.
Spoke a CSR via online chat and I should see my credit in a day or two.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:34 pm

Hey guys - just got shutdown by AA and scrambling to find a new flight so be gentle

Does upgrading a seat from main to premium class trigger the credit? Does it matter if I do it during the initial booking process vs. after? It shows a cost of around $89 or $99 per seat depending on which flight I pick.

I assume the checked bag fee of $30 definitely triggers the credit at least (as it should)?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:10 pm

Spoke a CSR via online chat and I should see my credit in a day or two.
Out of curiosity, did you split the charge at all? I'm thinking of splitting it across a Platinum (200) and an Aspre (250) before I have to deal with AFs hitting next month for both.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cheesymoney
Out of curiosity, did you split the charge at all? I'm thinking of splitting it across a Platinum (200) and an Aspre (250) before I have to deal with AFs hitting next month for both.
I purchased the membership online so it was one charge. I read reports of people trying to get an AS Lounge location to sell and split the membership cost. I don't remember the follow up DP to that.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Interesting chat exchange just now. I asked about timeline to credit the Boardroom membership renewal I paid for on 1/1. Rep said ordinarily 14 days but she'd try to handle immediately, then came back and said that the system wouldn't let her do a manual credit for 14 days after the charge was made. That may be just the usual lamentable state of Amex chat support, but it would also be consistent with Amex having noticed that it was reimbursing a bunch of AS charges that subsequently got reversed and instituted a fix for that. Has anyone been reimbursed yet for 2020 expenses?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:05 pm

What is an award ticket?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hailey Ji
What is an award ticket?
Welcome to Flyertalk?
mpeterson78 and pointscrusher like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:23 am

Hello, I've spent a couple hours reading the old thread and this new one, and I've deduced that the only grey area uses of the fee credit on AS is upgrading to PC and air fare under $50? Does anyone know if split payment with a GC works like on Delta?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by unicon
I would also assume that funds have to be used for the same passenger. Also note that expiry is one year from the original date of purchase andnot the date of cancelation.
You can buy a flight for someone else using your own Wallet Funds
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by teocon18
My wife and I booked 2 x $48.30 tickets on AS on both the Platinum and Gold cards on the 12/30 & 12/31. We cancelled all the tickets within 24-hours and got reimbursed on both cards on 1/1/2020.
reporting a similar dp. purchased two individual saver fares on jan 2 with wallet funds, using plat for pc charges. cancelled both ~23 hours later. refund posted 3 days after purchase, airline credit posted 2 days after refund posted. will update if change occurs after statement cycle ends
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:25 pm

I purchased the membership online so it was one charge. I read reports of people trying to get an AS Lounge location to sell and split the membership cost. I don't remember the follow up DP to that.
can report similar experience when purchasing membership over the phone this week. agent said she wasn't able to split payment but believes it's possible to do so in lounge.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
1-year expiration. AS flight only(so you can't use it to pay award ticket fees). Can't use towards seat fees.
I'm reading through the terms of the Alaska Wallet funds and do not see any indication that they expire within 1 year of the ticket booking, as indicated in some of the comments.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...y-wallet-terms

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitching51
Does upgrading a seat from main to premium class trigger the credit? Does it matter if I do it during the initial booking process vs. after?
It should count but you may have to manually ask for the credit, because there's nothing in the purchase info that Amex gets from Alaska that says "seat change". But it does look different than a true ticket purchase (no airports listed) if it's a separate purchase (after the original booking is completed), so I would say it's much much easier to prove to Amex that it's reimbursable if it comes across as a separate purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.