Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
It looks as if sub $100 tickets and seat fees are still inconsistent and may or may not automatically trigger the credit. Premium seat fees are refundable to your wallet as long as it is outside the 24-hour ticket cancellation window.
Again, new here so sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you refund a premium seat fee? In the terms and conditions for premium seat
upgrade, it says “
  • If customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Again, new here so sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you refund a premium seat fee? In the terms and conditions for premium seat
upgrade, it says “
  • If customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
If you cancel a non-saver ticket (outside of the 24-hour cancellation window) the ticket and premium seat fee(s) can be refunded to your AS wallet.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Another year, another round of seat selection shenanigans.

Tip: AS is making it easier than ever to do the seat selection trick as a 75k, as you can toggle “none” when inputting your FFN. This still allows you to use wallet funds from your MP account.

I’ve booked three SAN - HNL round trips at 280$, for $208 seat selection fee each trip (Have 2 Plats and the Aspire).

To round at the last 42$ on my Apsire, booked a SAN - SEA at 79$ for 44$ seat selection fee.

For all the flights I used existing wallet funds and deposited the $500 Costco Certificate I bought this weekend.

Took less than 10 minutes, and chatting with the Amex agents via the online chat will take less than 10 minutes. Easy $650 rebate on my annual fees, as I consider wallet funds at face value since I’m booking flights through the fall anyways for travel on AS.

Cheers, will report back the positive data points in T +14 days!
I’m sorry I’m late but updates

I got automatic seat fees from a few purchases for 44.99 and 98.99. The rest I chatted with CSR and they gave me back credit.

Easy peasy $650 back squeezy
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I’m sorry I’m late but updates

I got automatic seat fees from a few purchases for 44.99 and 98.99. The rest I chatted with CSR and they gave me back credit.

Easy peasy $650 back squeezy
But making us call/chat for credit most of the time be somewhat sleazy.
mightyducksman likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by ellipsicon
Bought two tickets for $48.60 a week ago, and reimbursement just posted.
Nothing so far (ten days) …

Inexpensive airfare
Perhaps our best hope of a cash equivalent method still working is paying for airfare under $100 with your Amex. I have personally seen inexpensive Southwest, Delta and JetBlue airfares receive credit reimbursement. Just remember — this is not a guaranteed use.
… so I cancelled for a certificate refund and am trying another trick.

Delta airfare partially purchased with a gift card
Paying for any portion of a Delta ticket with a gift card changes how the remaining airfare you charge to your Amex card codes. The remaining airfare becomes an “additional collection” and has often triggered the Amex Platinum reimbursement credit.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-...al-fee-credit/

My Alaska receipt says the following, which includes “Gift cards/certificates”.

Flight total for one passenger $ …
The American Express ending with …
Gift cards/certificates ending with …
We shall see!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:32 pm

The fare rebates aren't a given, it's reported throughout this thread (recent posts this year and last) that it's hit or miss.

-David
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I did a search for "internet" and "wifi" and no results, which seems odd.

Does anyone know if in-flight wifi is reimbursable? Is it billed by Alaska or the WiFi provider?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I did a search for "internet" and "wifi" and no results, which seems odd.

Does anyone know if in-flight wifi is reimbursable? Is it billed by Alaska or the WiFi provider?
Inflight internet is provided/billed by GoGo not Alaska, so no I don’t believe it is reimbursable via the Amex benefit as it won’t code as a AS charge.

The AS BOA 20% off inflight charges benefit doesn’t discount internet either for this reason, but if internet is something you need and you’re just looking to save apparently you can buy a pass or subscription beforehand from GoGo and get it for less than you’d pay if you bought it during the flight.

*EDIT* I could have swore I read it doesn’t count for the BOA discount, but after flymonthly’s reply I went back through the AS forum and found the initial thread I saw and now I see that later RAD_PDX’s posted and it looks like I am totally incorrect (Sorry!)

Here is the reply from RAD_PDX with his/her/their screenshot (with the fitting initial response).

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That's not true.
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

If you are flying a round trip, it can often be cheaper just to buy the monthly plan and then cancel it.

In-Flight Wi-Fi Pricing?

A poster mentioned early in the thread that depending on the route the price was different thus they just pre bought a pass as it was cheaper and I remembered that went with it and clearly extrapolated it to monthly passes aswell. Now I have no clue how it’ll code given their screencap as I thought it was all through GoGo too.

Basically just ignore everything I replied! Sorry for the confusion!
mia, OskiBear and RAD_PDX like this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Feb 16, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Inflight internet is provided/billed by GoGo not Alaska, so no I don’t believe it is reimbursable via the Amex benefit as it won’t code as a AS charge.

The AS BOA 20% off inflight charges benefit doesn’t discount internet either for this reason, but if internet is something you need and you’re just looking to save apparently you can buy a pass or subscription beforehand from Gogo and get it for less than you’d pay if you bought it during the flight.
When you purchase GoGo onboard an Alaska flight it is billed by Alaska NOT Gogo. I'm not sure if it would be reimbursable as an Amex airline credit, but it definitely gets the 20% BOA AS rebate - both single flight/day purchases and initial monthly passes. I don't think that the monthly renewals would get the 20% rebate, but am not sure since I've never let it automatically renew. And I very much doubt that purchasing a pass ahead of time from Gogo would either.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
When you purchase GoGo onboard an Alaska flight it is billed by Alaska NOT Gogo. I'm not sure if it would be reimbursable as an Amex airline credit, but it definitely gets the 20% BOA AS rebate - both single flight/day purchases and initial monthly passes. I don't think that the monthly renewals would get the 20% rebate, but am not sure since I've never let it automatically renew. And I very much doubt that purchasing a pass ahead of time from Gogo would either.
You are too right! I’ve edited my initial response to hopefully avoid confusion/misinformation due to me being totally wrong. Sorry OskiBear and FT! Thank you for the clarification/correction/knowledge flymonthly and RAD_PDX!
OskiBear and flymonthly like this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Feb 16, 2022 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
DP: $40.98 premium class seat selection fee purchased on 2/12 and saw the benefit meter go down the same amount on 2/16
boxo and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Bought 2 $48.60 tickets on Feb 1 and no credit here. Been 9 days…
So I chatted in with them after 2 weeks, and asked about my flight credit. They looked up my charges and said they were eligible and immediately gave me the credit.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by richiezc
DP: $40.98 premium class seat selection fee purchased on 2/12 and saw the benefit meter go down the same amount on 2/16
Wow! Glad you got it to go automatically!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Does it matter if I select my PC seats during booking, or is it better/easier to pay for them separately so it's more obvious which part is being refunded (PC seat selection fee)? Wondering if a customer service rep would be able to credit $200 back if it was just a portion of a larger charge including fare, or if the refund ONLY comes if it's broken out separately so the L3 data can be observed.

Last edited by mpeterson78; Feb 26, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
So it seems like upfaring to FC still works if I'm reading the threads right? Just has to be >$50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.