Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Last minute options?

Obviously my fault for waiting till the last minute, but I was planning on using my 3x card credits on a lounge membership, but can’t get through to customer service via phone or chat.

Any online only ways I could use my credits if I can’t get through before the end of the day?

Edit: looks like one way flights under $100 might be my best hope. I’ll give it a shot if I can’t get through to CS for the rest of the day.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AS Mileage Plan, AMEX MR, NWA WorldPerks SilverElite
Does the credit work for award redeposit fees? (FYI, I do not have status with AS).
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Airplanewallah
Does the credit work for award redeposit fees? (FYI, I do not have status with AS).
It might… if there were any. There aren’t any.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...my-reservation

AS award ticket cancellation policy

Award Flight Change Policy (Since Sept. 1, 2020)
LHG and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 2, 2022 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AS Mileage Plan, AMEX MR, NWA WorldPerks SilverElite
Thanks eponymous_coward - this is very helpful.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Airplanewallah
The credit does work for the 12.50$ partner booking fee
LHG likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Try chatting online. Those reps seem to have more brains and willingness to give credit when eligible. Just make sure 14 days have passed since your charge.
I just realized that I hope the CSRs are able to, or know to credit by 2021 flight incident credits rather than 2022, even though they are manually doing it in 2022. That is one thing I was afraid of needing to wait the 14 days and those 14 days running into 2022.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Another year, another round of seat selection shenanigans.

Tip: AS is making it easier than ever to do the seat selection trick as a 75k, as you can toggle “none” when inputting your FFN. This still allows you to use wallet funds from your MP account.

I’ve booked three SAN - HNL round trips at 280$, for $208 seat selection fee each trip (Have 2 Plats and the Aspire).

To round at the last 42$ on my Apsire, booked a SAN - SEA at 79$ for 44$ seat selection fee.

For all the flights I used existing wallet funds and deposited the $500 Costco Certificate I bought this weekend.

Took less than 10 minutes, and chatting with the Amex agents via the online chat will take less than 10 minutes. Easy $650 rebate on my annual fees, as I consider wallet funds at face value since I’m booking flights through the fall anyways for travel on AS.

Cheers, will report back the positive data points in T +14 days!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Another year, another round of seat selection shenanigans.

Tip: AS is making it easier than ever to do the seat selection trick as a 75k, as you can toggle “none” when inputting your FFN. This still allows you to use wallet funds from your MP account.

I’ve booked three SAN - HNL round trips at 280$, for $208 seat selection fee each trip (Have 2 Plats and the Aspire).

To round at the last 42$ on my Apsire, booked a SAN - SEA at 79$ for 44$ seat selection fee.

For all the flights I used existing wallet funds and deposited the $500 Costco Certificate I bought this weekend.

Took less than 10 minutes, and chatting with the Amex agents via the online chat will take less than 10 minutes. Easy $650 rebate on my annual fees, as I consider wallet funds at face value since I’m booking flights through the fall anyways for travel on AS.

Cheers, will report back the positive data points in T +14 days!
Shoots you are too on top of it. I am hoping for DPs on people calling in January for December purchases to make sure the 2021 credit is used up, not the 2022 credit! That is what I am worried about the most.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:56 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Two $49 charges billed on 1/2 and credited on 1/5.
boxo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by dayone
This is for airfare?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by wahoyaho
This is for airfare?
Originally Posted by dayone
Yeah...what did you purchase and how did it post in your account? It appears to get anything posted correctly from AS that Amex auto-recognizes is rare indeed. I just have to wait a few more days...and cross my fingers that the credit will be used for my 2021 credit.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by HikingLemming
Called AMEX today and they refused to manually credit my $19 in-flight food purchase from 12/4. They said that it coded as "fast food." I asked if we were looking at the same transaction that's titled "Alaska Air in flight." I explained that I've had to call in to get all of my Alaska incidentals credited this year. She gave me no mercy... Guess I'll call back again tomorrow
That is frustrating to hear. I have not ever been denied but have always had to manually receive credit via chat. As others have mentioned, chat support will only credit if transaction is 14+ days old.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by AKNorth
That is frustrating to hear. I have not ever been denied but have always had to manually receive credit via chat. As others have mentioned, chat support will only credit if transaction is 14+ days old.
Just had to manual chat for two transactions. Had asked me to wait 4 weeks
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So I pretty much messed up maxing out my AS credit last year. I do not want Premium Class (love my exit row), didn't want to try tricks (booking, canceling), so I basically just used it for food and drinks on board, which was fine since we took the family on a couple of trips and was able to pay for everyone, but it still didn't reach $250 (but close enough that I wasn't too stressed about it).

This year we'll be smarter ordering food, but I have a question about food only....we all ordered just "one" item per person...can you order more than one? For example, can we get, say, a wrap AND a cheese plate for one person? Two different snack boxes for one person? Some of the items are non-perishable so good to save for later or take home. But is that OK to do?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:23 am

deleted

Last edited by mhopki3; Jan 31, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.