Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
FYI: AS no longer waives change and cancellation fees for travel 60+ days in the future. It has not been true for about a year. I updated the wiki to reflect that.
Last week I was not charged a fee to cancel within 60 days - everything cent went to MyWallet. To be fair this quote was from an old post, and the policy keeps evolving.

Originally Posted by Buddy16
Just a quick shout out to the FT forum. Had "seat assignment" fees of $198 credited today. Thank you for your guidance!
Good to know. I just paid $270 in seat assignment fees a few days after buying the ticket. Will report back.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Have purchased several flights anywhere from 50 - 300 on Aspire or Platinum cards with no refund. Did put 3 actual premium seat selection fees across the two cards, and around 4 weeks had to chat to get them refunded - 121 x 2 on Aspire and 134 on Platinum.
hermitw likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
All of my AS credits have required 14 day waits and manual intervention for at least the last couple of years.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by WrightHI
All of my AS credits have required 14 day waits and manual intervention for at least the last couple of years.
I'm a little better than 50-50. Smaller seems to be better.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anyone have any recent data points on whether paying a fare difference (on an already purchased ticket - changing date/flights to more expensive flights) triggers the airline credit if paid with an Amex Plat?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does anyone have any recent data points on whether paying a fare difference (on an already purchased ticket - changing date/flights to more expensive flights) triggers the airline credit if paid with an Amex Plat?
Yes, received credit on a $8.50 additional collection a month or so back.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:01 pm

Premium seat has worked for me. Did it on 3x cards. One auto reimbursed after 4-5 days. The other 2, I had to wait 14, then just chatted with the rep, said they were seat selection and they credited it.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Were you successful to get small tickets like $50 credited?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by hermitw
Were you successful to get small tickets like $50 credited?
Haven’t tried. Lately all premium seat fees.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:38 pm

I just got a new Biz Platinum with the 150k MR points offer and selected AS as my airline of choice, since I have a couple of upcoming flights with them. I upgraded to premium seats on the first RT for approximately $85 and was reimbursed automatically a few days later. I thought I might have to call in seeing as it was a new card and others had mentioned having to do so, so I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully others have the same good luck.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
is there a comprehensive list somewhere of what can be successfully credited at this point?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SirTravels
Premium seat has worked for me. Did it on 3x cards. One auto reimbursed after 4-5 days. The other 2, I had to wait 14, then just chatted with the rep, said they were seat selection and they credited it.
I appreciate you posting this. I would not have thought of it on my own. We got 2 x $45 fees for premium seats reimbursed. Very happy.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It’s extremely simple. I feel like I’ve written up this post several times we should add it to the wiki.

1. Find a route for your desired PC surcharge. Most transcons that route through SEA will get you 150-194$. Shorter routes would be less expensive.
2. Buy a Main Cabin or Saver (X) fare.
3. During seat selection phase, buy a PC seat selection fee.
4. Wait t+24 hours
5. Cancel your trip. The funds will go back to you as wallet funds.
6. t + 2 weeks contact Amex and tell them your airline incidental fee hasn’t been processed. Say it was for a seat selection fee.

You can do it in one go, as the charges will show up separately on your Amex bill.
Does the saver part still hold true? You don't get your money back into your wallet for saver fares right? Can someone please confirm?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Does the saver part still hold true? You don't get your money back into your wallet for saver fares right? Can someone please confirm?

Not any more. It's back to the pre-pandemic policies.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Despite rules changing back to pre-pandemic, can't you instead just cancel < 24 hours and request credit to be applied to wallet instead of back to card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.