FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002973-airline-fee-250-200-reimbursement-reports-only-2020-23-a.html)

robchow Dec 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Originally Posted by juncakes (Post 31884172)
Also, food for thought. Can't you just book a refundable flight and purchase PC separately, cancel refundable flight back to card and cancel PC back to wallet, therefore only the PC transaction remains with AMEX? Will AMEX know and clawback the PC transaction knowing that its corresponding flight was cancelled (credited)?

Originally Posted by pointscrusher (Post 31890154)
very interesting idea and thanks for sharing! i wouldn't think there's any way for amex to know the transaction was cancelled after the 24 hour mark as it's an as internal transaction at that point. assuming i have success getting credited for the pc selection (was told via chat today to wait 2 weeks), i may give this approach a try. thanks again!

If concern, use a different credit card/issuer for the refundable ticket; use AMEX for PC purchase.

Edit: Not good. Looks like cancelling refundable fare with PC will have PC back to original form of payment.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...preferred-plus
  • If a customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
  • If a customer voluntarily changes his/her flight once purchased, a refund for the original seat purchase will only be provided if a refundable fare was purchased, in which case the refund will be applied to the original form of payment.
  • If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My Wallet for future travel. My Wallet funds may not be applied towards the purchase of Premium Class or seats with more legroom.
Not sure how this is done in actuality as I never cancelled a refundable fare with PC seats. Maybe the website would give one an option to select wallet as oppose to original form of payment?

JHake10 Jan 1, 2020 11:33 am

A boardroom membership should count, right? I purchased it about 2 weeks ago and no credit. Now that we’re into 2020 I’m hoping they can apply the credit retroactively. Has anyone seen this?

mia Jan 1, 2020 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31896569)
A boardroom membership should count, right?....

Most recent report seems to be in October, click HERE.

Visconti Jan 1, 2020 1:30 pm

$300 for MVP 75K sans restrictions not a bad deal, assuming the SFO lounge groundbreaking is on schedule. By the way, with AS lounge membership, can use most ACs when flying either AS or AA, but not OW?

mia Jan 1, 2020 1:42 pm

Alaska Lounge members have access to the select Admirals Club locations "This indicates a link to an external site that may not follow the same accessibility or privacy policies as Alaska Airlines. By selecting a partner link you agree to share your data with these sites." listed below when arriving or departing that day on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines*. Members do not have access to the Admirals Club in San Francisco.
No mention of OneWorld. I believe Alaska Lounge members use the CX lounge at SFO until their own lounge opens.

s0ssos Jan 1, 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31897025)
No mention of OneWorld. I believe Alaska Lounge members use the CX lounge at SFO until their own lounge opens.

Yes, SFO Admirals Club is definitely not allowed. I've tried it.
CX is in another terminal for most (all, don't know which flights should use international A) AS flights so you would need plenty of time (or like to rush).

HIFlya Jan 2, 2020 12:30 pm

Based on the previous posts, I guess I am SOL. Either I can go with the sure thing of getting the seat upgrades, that I don't really need but can use, or go with SW and possibly have funds I might not be able to use. Oh well.

crimsona Jan 2, 2020 12:52 pm

• If customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
  • If a customer receives a complimentary upgrade to First Class, no refund will be granted for the Premium Class seat.
  • If a customer voluntarily changes his/her flight once purchased, a refund for the original seat purchase will only be provided if a refundable fare was purchased, in which case the refund will be applied to the original form of payment.
  • If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My wallet for future travel. My wallet funds may not be applied towards Premium Class purchases.

HIFlya Jan 2, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 31900905)
  • If customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
  • If a customer receives a complimentary upgrade to First Class, no refund will be granted for the Premium Class seat.
  • If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My wallet for future travel. My wallet funds may not be applied towards Premium Class purchases.

OK, so if I read bullet one correctly that if a passenger "stays on the same flight," but wants to downgrade his seat, no refund for the originally purchased upgrade is allowed. Third bullet point says that a refundable fare changed will have the "original seat purchase" refunded back to original form of payment. However, nothing is said about the seat upgrade purchase when a refundable ticket is purchased. The fourth bullet point explicitly states that the "ticket price and the seat upgrade fee" will be credited for non-refundable tickets.

eddiehuang97 Jan 2, 2020 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31901078)
OK, so if I read bullet one correctly that if a passenger "stays on the same flight," but wants to downgrade his seat, no refund for the originally purchased upgrade is allowed. Third bullet point says that a refundable fare changed will have the "original seat purchase" refunded back to original form of payment. However, nothing is said about the seat upgrade purchase when a refundable ticket is purchased. The fourth bullet point explicitly states that the "ticket price and the seat upgrade fee" will be credited for non-refundable tickets.

Third bulletpoint addresses your question. If you cancel/change a refundable flight the seat purchase fee gets refunded to the original payment

HIFlya Jan 2, 2020 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97 (Post 31901175)
Third bulletpoint addresses your question. If you cancel/change a refundable flight the seat purchase fee gets refunded to the original payment

I see "original seat purchase" as the non-upgraded seat, not the seat upgrade we purchase after, which we are legitimately allowed to get credited by Amex. Is that reading too much into it?

eddiehuang97 Jan 2, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31901428)
I see "original seat purchase" as the non-upgraded seat, not the seat upgrade we purchase after, which we are legitimately allowed to get credited by Amex. Is that reading too much into it?

Those are the same thing -- if you purchase a seat selection(Premium class counts but not upgrade F) and you are on a refundable fare, the seat selection fee will be refunded. Be careful with this since Amex could claw back those credits.

unicon Jan 2, 2020 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 31900905)

So I just spoke to an AS phone rep and she said there should be an option to refund to my wallet even for refundable tickets. And even if this option doesn't show up online, they can certainly do it over the phone. Of course the usual restrictions of using My wallet funds would apply.
Has anyone done this successfully? I am looking to book a refundable ticket to use the amex offer ($40 back on $200 purchase). Also plan to get the 100$ Gold card credit by booking an in cabin pet on the same flight.
First time using the credit on AS. Have only used it on UA for the past years.

HIFlya Jan 3, 2020 10:09 am

Originally Posted by unicon (Post 31902460)
So I just spoke to an AS phone rep and she said there should be an option to refund to my wallet even for refundable tickets. And even if this option doesn't show up online, they can certainly do it over the phone. Of course the usual restrictions of using My wallet funds would apply.
Has anyone done this successfully? I am looking to book a refundable ticket to use the amex offer ($40 back on $200 purchase). Also plan to get the 100$ Gold card credit by booking an in cabin pet on the same flight.
First time using the credit on AS. Have only used it on UA for the past years.

What exactly are the restrictions for my wallet funds? Just that you can't use it for premium seating? There is no expiration date is there?

eddiehuang97 Jan 3, 2020 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31904506)
What exactly are the restrictions for my wallet funds? Just that you can't use it for premium seating? There is no expiration date is there?

1-year expiration. AS flight only(so you can't use it to pay award ticket fees). Can't use towards seat fees.