Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
I would call and ask for change fee get credited. When reading T and C in my AmEx benefit page, Change fees are listed .
For sure planning on doing that but waiting 14 days because that's what they've told me and others to wait in the past and I don't want to waste time twice.

I just found it comical that a charge that should not have been refunded was and the change fee that should have been refunded, wasn't. The charge details say that it is for a flight on 2/29 from Grand Canyon to Seattle. Totally not! Not the date, nor the airports are even close to my actual flights: no idea based on what they even made this stuff up from.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by just_jim
I used a giftcard to reduce the ticket price under $50. The ticket cost was refunded.
Don't count on this working, but it does work sometimes.
I also just purchased airfare with wallet funds, price remainder charged to AmEx for $48.40.
now, will be curious if credits. (Not holding my breath)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:09 pm

Another DP. Book flights for $53.40 and $48.40 with gold card and cancelled before the 24 hr window. Charge posted on Jan 7 and refund posted on Jan 9. No sign of reimbursement as of 1/19.

Originally Posted by teocon18
My wife and I booked 2 x $48.30 tickets on AS on both the Platinum and Gold cards on the 12/30 & 12/31. We cancelled all the tickets within 24-hours and got reimbursed on both cards on 1/1/2020.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by daride
Another DP. Book flights for $53.40 and $48.40 with gold card and cancelled before the 24 hr window. Charge posted on Jan 7 and refund posted on Jan 9. No sign of reimbursement as of 1/19.
Even if it did, I hope you’re ready for a clawback. Amex doesn’t play games anymore
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:01 am

Charged three fares for $73.40 to Platinum and one $73.40 fare to Gold card on 1/9/20, no reimbursement yet for any of them. Any chance of getting a CSR to reimburse after 14 days?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
::...

Last edited by jtc246; Jan 20, 2020 at 5:33 pm Reason: misread, delete
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by WeSea747
Charged three fares for $73.40 to Platinum and one $73.40 fare to Gold card on 1/9/20, no reimbursement yet for any of them. Any chance of getting a CSR to reimburse after 14 days?
I had 3 seat fees credited by a rep today on chat (14 day mark). Both times I have chatted, they have asked me to confirm the charge amounts and what the charges were for. So you will have to be prepared to lie about what the charges are for. I would not. And I suspect they know the seat fees are even dollar amounts.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by daride
This used to work in 2019 apparently. If there are updates to your reimbursement, then please do share.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Million Miler
Here is another data point:

Note: I am an MVP Gold, so i can cancel flights with no charge and have the balance credited to My Wallet.

Using the Hilton Honors Aspire Card:
12/11/19 - Purchased 4 separate flights in 4 separate transactions: 3x @ $57.49 and 1x @ $62.90
12/16/19 - Received AMEX Credit for ONE ticket @ 57.49.
None of the other credits ever posted. Reviewed my amex statement and all flights posted exactly the same way (same fare class, etc). Based on previous posts, I didn't expect to get credit for any of these flights. Can't figure out how an automated system would decide to refund one transaction, but skip over the other identical transactions.

Next Experiement:
12/30/19 - Booked two transcon flights (ticket only) @143.30. Paid for one with my Hilton Aspire with seat upgrade (additional $124.00) in the same transaction. Paid for one with my Amex Plat with no seat upgrade. Then, after making went back and chose and economy plus seat for $124.00.
-No credits ever posted. On my amex statement its shows the fare purchase and the seat upgrades as separate transactions. Fare Class: R for the ticket. Fare class: 00 for the seat upgrage (So AMEX does know if you are purchasing a ticket or paying a seat selection fee).
1/16/20 - I did an online chat to request reimbursement for my two $124 seat selection fees. Agent didn't ask any questions and reimbursed what I had left of my $250 airline fee credit. Interestingly, the credit was NOT applied to the $124.00 seat fees as I had expected (and specifically requested). I received two credits, the first was for $143.30....which means it was applied to my ticket purchase. The second was for $49.21 ( the total amount of my credit left remaining), was applied to one of my seat selection fees.

What is my conclusion?

I don't know really. Cant explain why one airline ticket from my first block of purchases was credited. Takeaway from the second transaction is that the phone/chat reps have a lot of leeway in what they issue a credit for, but I certainly wouldn't count on them reimbursing ticket purchases, even though it appears they mistakenly did so in my case.
pointscrusher likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Adding my data points for reference too. I actually needed all 3 of these one way flights so figured I'd use my Aspire and just hope for the best. Here are my booking dates (for flights in early-mid Feb) and prices.
Jan 7: $38.40
Jan 14:$173.40
Jan 14: $88.40

Only the $88.40 was reimbursed on Jan 17. So similar to the previous poster, no idea what the rationale on reimbursements is, but a nice bonus since I'm flying AS anyways.
pointscrusher likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:19 am

I purchased premium seats in econ class using Amex Plat card on 1/2 and still haven't received credits. I chatted a few days after and was told to chat back in 15 days. I did that today and after the agent asking what these were for (and they were a bit pushy) I was able to get a manual credit (I also had to be quite pushy to get this).
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by HIFlya
I am curious, when you get a refund on a refundable fare, how does it post on Amex? Just as a refund, or does it specify what ticket you are refunding?
I just wanted to bump my question quoted above and also ask, is it possible to book a refundable fare on one CC and then later purchase the main cabin plus using another CC?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Purchased lounge access for $300 (75k) on 1/8 with the Amex Aspire, had switched to AS on the benefits page about an hour beforehand. Still not reimbursed/counter still full.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Purchased lounge access for $300 (75k) on 1/8 with the Amex Aspire, had switched to AS on the benefits page about an hour beforehand. Still not reimbursed/counter still full.
My understanding is that it takes a few days for airline choice to post to account.And....This must be in place before airline purchase for credit is made.
You may need to make a phone call and confirm your airline choice and mention that you used it recently.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:11 pm

Called AmEx regarding our account. Trying to make sure AS is listed as airline of choice.
Rep told me we could make purchases on ANY airline and it would credit!!
Pretty sure this is not true. Asked him to confirm, on hold, and he confirmed this.
We have a Chairmans Card and perhaps this is why??
So far, nothing has credited.

Last edited by pcoll; Jan 22, 2020 at 4:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.