Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A quick data point.
Paid $139 for PC for 2 passengers on June 3. No automatic credit.
Chatted with AMEX today. Credit approved in 3 minutes.

P.S. Before mid-April, all of my under-$50 ticket purchases received the credits automatically within 5 days.
After mid-April, no credit is posted automatically.
DaveH likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:20 pm

Plat is up for renewal soon, and am thinking I will block out an award ticket since cancellation fees are waived anyway, and use up the airline fee credit for the taxes/fees..
After cancelling the card after it's renewal date... what happens when Alaska tries to return the taxes and fees charged a few months later?

has anyone had luck getting the taxes and fees returned as a credit, and not back to the credit card(which wont be active at this point)?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
DP: ticket purchase with Wallet funds + AMEX Gold card made 6/24, reimbursement happened 6/28 (day after purchase cleared), no call needed.

My experience is AS is more hit and miss than WN, but this one did actually hit without needing to wait and chat with a representative.
joynowis likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DP: ticket purchase with Wallet funds + AMEX Gold card made 6/24, reimbursement happened 6/28 (day after purchase cleared), no call needed.

My experience is AS is more hit and miss than WN, but this one did actually hit without needing to wait and chat with a representative.
Mind sharing the total amount charged after wallet funds were used? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$40.10
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Played around a bit and found a cheaper option: LAS-EWR via SEA for $110 and the two PC upgrade fees will be $203
Just to clarify that I understand this:
  • The ticket will be cancelled after 24 hours. Alaska is currently charging no fees for cancellation of tickets booked by Sept 8.
  • The total cost of the ticket + the Premium Class seat selection will then be placed into my Alaska Wallet for later use? ($203+$110=$313 in this case).
  • AMEX won't see this as a cancellation.
  • I can then request AMEX to credit the $200 cost of the PC "seat selection" as an airline fee (if it's not done automatically).
Do I have that correct?

Additional questions I have:
  1. I guess it doesn't matter too much, but if I book the original ~$110 ticket through AMEX travel, then I can get 5x points for it. Then buy the PC upgrades separately.
  2. Or I could buy the original ticket with MR points, getting 35% MR back on my bus. plat.
  3. Even better, perhaps, I could put the $110 on my wife's CSR, as she still has some travel credit.
Any thoughts on any of that?

In any case, I can then later purchase the PC upgrades as a separate transaction, right?
st0ne likes this.

Last edited by jberry63; Aug 5, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Data point: purchased 3 $79 premium seat assignments, each posted individually and credited within 3 business days up to a total of $250 on Aspire. Probably a waste with how empty planes are but figured I didn't want to have to fight with Amex on a fare purchase.

Last edited by mightyducksman; Aug 13, 2020 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Fresh data point: ~$39 airfare, purchased within the last week, posted about two days after purchase, auto-credited about two days later.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: United Plat
9/15: bought one-way ticket $49 with Gold card.
Nothing happened. Benefit Airline Fee Credit remains as $100 as of 9/23.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
Fresh data point: ~$39 airfare, purchased within the last week, posted about two days after purchase, auto-credited about two days later.
Thanks. I wonder if the last two data points suggest < $40 tickets get the job done?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveH
Thanks. I wonder if the last two data points suggest < $40 tickets get the job done?
Nope. $40.10 ticket = hit. $5.60 segment add for existing award redemption = miss. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't figured out the logic, if there is any. WN is way easier (< $100). I'm inclined to just switch my Gold to WN to match my Hilton Aspire and use the $350 for cheap WN fares.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by edusoc27
Another DP:

Hilton Aspire:
3/2 Purchased $48.40 Saver Ticket
3/3 In separate purchase 24+ hrs later, bought $45 PC seat
3/4 Cancelled ticket, got all funds deposited into wallet
3/4 $48.40 Saver Ticket Posted
3/6 $45 PC Seat Posted

3/10 Logged in this morning and oddly enough, the $48.40 Saver Ticket was reimbursed

Will update if $45 PC is also reimbursed
Thanks for this info. Is it necessary to way 24 hours to wait to buy the PC seat?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Can I use my Amex Aspire credit to cover checked bag fees for family traveling with us? We get our bags free as MVP, but will be traveling with 4 family members on different PNR, different last names, no status. We will all be checking in at the same time. Goal is to pay for their bag fees with my Amex card and get reimbursed.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:21 pm

I paid for two flight tickets with fund from the wallet. Waited a day to upgrade the seats. Automatically credited back to my personal Plat card two days later. I cancelled both tickets a few days later and all funds deposited back into the wallet.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Can I use my Amex Aspire credit to cover checked bag fees for family traveling with us? We get our bags free as MVP, but will be traveling with 4 family members on different PNR, different last names, no status. We will all be checking in at the same time. Goal is to pay for their bag fees with my Amex card and get reimbursed.
No personal experience, but I don’t think that would be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.