Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Did you want the full two weeks before contacting them for the credit. The system didn't credit me my seat assignment fee and so I will need to contact them, just wondering if the two week rule still applied.
"Please allow up to 4 weeks from date of purchase for statement credits to post to your account."
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
"Please allow up to 4 weeks from date of purchase for statement credits to post to your account."
Thanks, I know that the T&Cs have a much bigger window, but also on a practical level we all know it comes much faster if it is going to come. I was just asking because previous posters had asked before the timeline, and they were told to check back after a 2 week window. I was just wondering on DPs from people who were able to get the manual credit before 2 weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:35 pm

From my experience you must wait 2 weeks to get the manual credit. I have asked before the 2 week mark and they told me to check back after 2 weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by daisydog123
From my experience you must wait 2 weeks to get the manual credit. I have asked before the 2 week mark and they told me to check back after 2 weeks.
Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:50 pm

I purchased a premium class seat on Feb 10. I called in today and they said the credit should post automatically (yea right) within 4-6 weeks. I pressed him about that and then he corrected himself and said it can take 2-4 weeks and to call back after 4 weeks.

From everyone's experience here (including mine), the credit for premium class seats never automatically post. Earlier this month I had to call in about the credit on another premium class seat (on another card) and that CSR agent was able to post it after I waited 15 days. It's just really frustrating that we know it won't post automatically and they make us wait 4 weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ShrinkTheGlobe
I purchased a premium class seat on Feb 10. I called in today and they said the credit should post automatically (yea right) within 4-6 weeks. I pressed him about that and then he corrected himself and said it can take 2-4 weeks and to call back after 4 weeks.

From everyone's experience here (including mine), the credit for premium class seats never automatically post. Earlier this month I had to call in about the credit on another premium class seat (on another card) and that CSR agent was able to post it after I waited 15 days. It's just really frustrating that we know it won't post automatically and they make us wait 4 weeks.
Yikes..hopefully they will only require I wait 2 weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:43 pm

OK I don't know if this was known, because either I was previously mistaken or something has changed. My understanding is that if you have a refundable fare and an upgrade, when you cancel the ticket to get a refund, you can choose the form of refund, either travel credit to your wallet or refund directly to your card, and the refund would be the same for the entire purchase. The weird thing was that today when I was cancelling my refundable fares, they would not allow me to have the refund of the Premium Class upgrade fee as a travel credit, it HAD to go back to my credit card, even though the ticket fare itself I could get the refund as a travel credit. Was this how it was all the time and I just missed something in my research regarding all of this?

I just re-read eddiehuang97 reply to me earlier in the year regarding this issue and I completely brain-farted on what he meant or the ramifications. Sigh. I suck. I should have just went with WN. Anyone know what would happen if you request a refund on a refundable fare but the card you used was cancelled?

Last edited by HIFlya; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Did you want the full two weeks before contacting them for the credit. The system didn't credit me my seat assignment fee and so I will need to contact them, just wondering if the two week rule still applied.
Yes, I did. They were able to credit manually at that point so I think the 14 day rule still applies.

No need to wait 4 weeks like another poster mentioned above. Just say that the credit normally posts automatically within 3 days and you were told that if you don't have it within 14 days it can be requested manually so that's what you are doing (since its already day 15 or 16 or whatever it is when you chat or call).
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Non-Golds/75s: You have two weeks to use the PC seat upgrade trick to use up your 2020 credits

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...w-march12.html
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Quick Reference for PC fees and cheapest Main Cabin fares:

LAX - BOS: $119 R class, $99 PC upgrade (one RT will let you go through Amex Plat, OW for Gold)
SAN - BOS $149 R Class, $129 PC upgrade (one RT will let you go through Asipre).
Most intercalifornia routes have PC upgrade for $25 if you need to round out your credits. AS often has MC sales for $49 OW for many intercalifornia routes.

Another Tip: You can use existing wallet funds or giftcards for airfare, but the PC upgrade must be paid with cash. If you have multiple sources of wallet funds, it will use the ones with the closest expiration date. You can also use wallet funds to purchase flights for passengers other than yourself (making it more flexible than WN).

Cheers
TZ

Edit: It appears that AS is also refunding saver fares, so it’s even a better time to do this. Shave off 20-30$ from the MC fares above with saver fares.

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Feb 28, 2020 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Quick Reference for PC fees and cheapest Main Cabin fares:

LAX - BOS: $119 R class, $99 PC upgrade (one RT will let you go through Amex Plat, OW for Gold)
SAN - BOS $149 R Class, $129 PC upgrade (one RT will let you go through Asipre).
Most intercalifornia routes have PC upgrade for $25 if you need to round out your credits. AS often has MC sales for $49 OW for many intercalifornia routes.

Another Tip: You can use existing wallet funds or giftcards for airfare, but the PC upgrade must be paid with cash. If you have multiple sources of wallet funds, it will use the ones with the closest expiration date. You can also use wallet funds to purchase flights for passengers other than yourself (making it more flexible than WN).

Cheers
TZ

Edit: It appears that AS is also refunding saver fares, so it’s even a better time to do this. Shave off 20-30$ from the MC fares above with saver fares.
OK I read the other thread and read the actual Alaska page and am still a bit confused. To avoid getting a clawback, the best thing to do is to have the PC upgrade refunded as a travel credit. If I buy a non-refundable ticket and get a PC upgrade, is Alaska allowing me to cancel now and get credits for everything (PC upgrade as well as original ticket) without a fee? Or do I need to rebook on a new flight before 12/31/2020 to get the fee waived?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

OK I read the other thread and read the actual Alaska page and am still a bit confused. To avoid getting a clawback, the best thing to do is to have the PC upgrade refunded as a travel credit. If I buy a non-refundable ticket and get a PC upgrade, is Alaska allowing me to cancel now and get credits for everything (PC upgrade as well as original ticket) without a fee? Or do I need to rebook on a new flight before 12/31/2020 to get the fee waived?
According to AS, you can cancel your flight or change your flight. I would cancel. When you cancel, you get wallet funds, minus cancellation fee (they are waiving). PC seat selection gets refunded back as wallet funds.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
According to AS, you can cancel your flight or change your flight. I would cancel. When you cancel, you get wallet funds, minus cancellation fee (they are waiving). PC seat selection gets refunded back as wallet funds.
Awesome...but the information saying "New travel must be completed by December 31, 2020" from the Alaska page means that the waiver only applies if you rebook your flight by then? Or is there some sort of workaround?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I'm MVP Gold and changed my seat to PC 2 weeks ago. Chatted with Amex today and was told that the charge i had was not for a Seat Assignment fee (refundable under the terms) but for an Upgrade (from Main Cabin to Premium Cabin), therefore the fee per T&C's is not refundable. w...t...h...!
Any good advise on how to get this to pass?
Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kudu19
I'm MVP Gold and changed my seat to PC 2 weeks ago. Chatted with Amex today and was told that the charge i had was not for a Seat Assignment fee (refundable under the terms) but for an Upgrade (from Main Cabin to Premium Cabin), therefore the fee per T&C's is not refundable. w...t...h...!
Any good advise on how to get this to pass?
Thanks!
Can you recall exactly how the conversation went? It seems like there are some magic word you can't say and can say to get around it. I think you can possibly point out that Premium Cabin is not a class of service. The ONLY way to get a PC seat is during SEAT SELECTION. Maybe that will help if you want to appeal to someone higher up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.