Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Does changing a ticket where I need to pay the fare difference trigger the credit?
Am MVP Gold so no change fees, only need to pay fare difference.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by burningflames
Does changing a ticket where I need to pay the fare difference trigger the credit?
Am MVP Gold so no change fees, only need to pay fare difference.
I'd say that depending on the amount (the lower the better), it's a definite maybe. A few recent data points:

1. 1/6 $375 ticket - not reimbursed
2. 1/6 $128 PC seat fees (4 flights) - not reimbursed
3. 1/7 $70 ticket - not reimbursed
4. 1/7 $29 PC seat fee - not reimbursed
5. 1/8 $45 ticket (charge after using $295 wallet funds on a $340 ticket) - automatically reimbursed a couple of days after charge posted.

As far as I can tell, AS coded all of the charges as tickets, although the PC seat fees don't have an itinerary. It's probably difficult for Amex to determine which are incidental fees.
I'll request reimbursement for the two unreimbursed PC seat fees in another week or so.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by soundore
I did this with 2 cards at the Alaska Lounge in Concourse C at SeaTac on Wednesday without any pushback. The agent commented that she had to do it manually.
That is great news, please let us know when you get the credits posted. Short stop in Seattle or Portland to do the same if it all works.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:23 pm

So this is getting tougher and tougher to get the credits ($650 over 3 cards, all with AS): whole family is 75K or MVPG, have Alaska Lounge (and Centurion Lounge access). For quite a while gift certs worked. Then the past two years, I've been able to buy a bunch of sub-$100 tickets to extract the credit. From the sound of it, that's not working. Not sure I have any other way to receive the credit - what a hassle compared to CSR.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I'd say that depending on the amount (the lower the better), it's a definite maybe. A few recent data points:

1. 1/6 $375 ticket - not reimbursed
2. 1/6 $128 PC seat fees (4 flights) - not reimbursed
3. 1/7 $70 ticket - not reimbursed
4. 1/7 $29 PC seat fee - not reimbursed
5. 1/8 $45 ticket (charge after using $295 wallet funds on a $340 ticket) - automatically reimbursed a couple of days after charge posted.

As far as I can tell, AS coded all of the charges as tickets, although the PC seat fees don't have an itinerary. It's probably difficult for Amex to determine which are incidental fees.
I'll request reimbursement for the two unreimbursed PC seat fees in another week or so.
Let us know how it goes. I just switched to Alaska from WN because I am actually going to be flying Alaska, but man it is frustrating when the actual legal charges won't automatically credit.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
So this is getting tougher and tougher to get the credits ($650 over 3 cards, all with AS): whole family is 75K or MVPG, have Alaska Lounge (and Centurion Lounge access). For quite a while gift certs worked. Then the past two years, I've been able to buy a bunch of sub-$100 tickets to extract the credit. From the sound of it, that's not working. Not sure I have any other way to receive the credit - what a hassle compared to CSR.
My suggestion, change to Delta, and use the GC partial payment method on refundable tickets.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you ever buy food on the plane? If I'm stuck in econ / premium I usually buy the F&C platter (it's really good)

Also, what about taxes and fees on award tickets?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
My suggestion, change to Delta, and use the GC partial payment method on refundable tickets.
Or JetBlue. Read that thread as there are some good ways to use the credit with them.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do you ever buy food on the plane? If I'm stuck in econ / premium I usually buy the F&C platter (it's really good)

Also, what about taxes and fees on award tickets?
Taxes and fees on awards are not refunded. I've tried it a few times.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Has anyone tried a similar approach on AS, either with GC or wallet funds and the additional amount as an add/collect?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Taxes and fees on awards are not refunded. I've tried it a few times.
I was just refunded for two award flights' taxes and fees just last week...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Boardroom membership purchased 01 JAN. Manual intervention requested via chat on 15 JAN. Full $200 credit posted 16 JAN.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
I was just refunded for two award flights' taxes and fees just last week...
Wow that's really lucky. I just changed an award flight and had to pay $125 change fee plus $0.12 difference in taxes. That $0.12 got refunded automatically . The $125 did not. So I guess this is a YMMV situation because my original taxes and fees were never refunded.
kthpence likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by friedablass
Wow that's really lucky. I just changed an award flight and had to pay $125 change fee plus $0.12 difference in taxes. That $0.12 got refunded automatically . The $125 did not. So I guess this is a YMMV situation because my original taxes and fees were never refunded.
I would call and ask for change fee get credited. When reading T and C in my AmEx benefit page, Change fees are listed .
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS
Totally agree, just about given up on working on a plan to use credit this year. Could not get anything to work last year.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:56 pm

Has anyone tried a similar approach on AS, either with GC or wallet funds and the additional amount as an add/collect?
I used a giftcard to reduce the ticket price under $50. The ticket cost was refunded.
Don't count on this working, but it does work sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.