Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
Just a quick shout out to the FT forum. Had "seat assignment" fees of $198 credited today. Thank you for your guidance!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:18 am

PC fee is able to credit back manually. (2/22)
Need to do a math to add it to slightly over 200
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Buddy16
Just a quick shout out to the FT forum. Had "seat assignment" fees of $198 credited today. Thank you for your guidance!
What "seating assignment " did you pick? What was the source and destination of this?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by darwinwins
What "seating assignment " did you pick? What was the source and destination of this?
Sounds like a RT cross country somewhere PC selection for 99$ each
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold

Super surprised they reimbursed for ticket change fee above $100
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It’s extremely simple. I feel like I’ve written up this post several times we should add it to the wiki.

1. Find a route for your desired PC surcharge. Most transcons that route through SEA will get you 150-194$. Shorter routes would be less expensive.
2. Buy a Main Cabin or Saver (X) fare.
3. During seat selection phase, buy a PC seat selection fee.
4. Wait t+24 hours
5. Cancel your trip. The funds will go back to you as wallet funds.
6. t + 2 weeks contact Amex and tell them your airline incidental fee hasn’t been processed. Say it was for a seat selection fee.

You can do it in one go, as the charges will show up separately on your Amex bill.
this works in a pinch, but personally I prefer not to have $200+ in airline scrip from AS or any other airline. Hard to tell when I can use it.

Just paid 4x PC about a month before I received the card, kicking myself for not applying sooner 😂
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
PC seats from SEA to CHS in early December 21.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just got a $102.40 ticket charge credited. This was a surprise. Intended to to use my entire credit (Plat) for a Boardroom membership when my AC membership expires.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It’s extremely simple. I feel like I’ve written up this post several times we should add it to the wiki.

1. Find a route for your desired PC surcharge. Most transcons that route through SEA will get you 150-194$. Shorter routes would be less expensive.
2. Buy a Main Cabin or Saver (X) fare.
3. During seat selection phase, buy a PC seat selection fee.
4. Wait t+24 hours
5. Cancel your trip. The funds will go back to you as wallet funds.
6. t + 2 weeks contact Amex and tell them your airline incidental fee hasn’t been processed. Say it was for a seat selection fee.

You can do it in one go, as the charges will show up separately on your Amex bill.
I wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct. Assuming there is a flight for $129 which can potentially have $120 for PC seats upgrade fee. When I book this and cancel after 24 hours, my wallet would have $249 in it and weeks later I chat and hope to get the allowed reimbursement (gold,plat,etc)

Is there a way to avoid getting the airfare back into my wallet? refundable tickets?

Last edited by unkn0wns0ldier; Mar 11, 2021 at 5:35 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:31 am

Does pre-ordered food trigger the benefit?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I believe you don't pay until you are on board - in case you get bumped, miss your flight, get upgraded, etc. - is that correct?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
does food ordered in flight get a credit?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
I tried this and got a lot of push back from AMEX. The transaction for the "Seat Change fee" shows up showing a the routing and a ticket # on AMEX site. Plus my email confirmation from AS for the seat change fee says " Seat Upgrade Purchases" so I can use that as proof.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
I tried this and got a lot of push back from AMEX. The transaction for the "Seat Change fee" shows up showing a the routing and a ticket # on AMEX site. Plus my email confirmation from AS for the seat change fee says " Seat Upgrade Purchases" so I can use that as proof.
HUCA
Old May 8, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Anything recent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.