Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020)

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 23, 21, 10:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tanic
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • Gold card accounts opened after 4 Feb 2021 do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 21, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Lucas1 View Post
just purchased tickets today. Will update if or when I get credit. Flight was under $100.
update. Received reimbursement today. Still works.
PV_Premier, levilevi and sabya31 like this.
Old Jan 21, 21, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa View Post
No, that was a limited time offer, applying to travel funds issued/expiring within a specific time frame.
good to know. Thank you
Old Jan 21, 21, 12:07 pm

Can I buy the even 50 dollar ticket 4 times in south west to trigger incidental credits on Amex Platinum?
Old Jan 21, 21, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by saikumar108206 View Post
Can I buy the even 50 dollar ticket 4 times in south west to trigger incidental credits on Amex Platinum?
Welcome to FlyerTalk. This thread is about using the credit on Delta. Since most people in this thread have their airline selection set to Delta, you probably won't get many answers. Here's the link to the Southwest thread: Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020). I'd recommend reading the wiki and the last few pages and then posting on there if you have more questions.

Edit: this post originally appeared in the Delta thread where the previous poster was asking about Southwest credits. It has since been moved to the WN thread.

Last edited by mattp1987; Jan 21, 21 at 12:59 pm Reason: Post moved by mod
Old Jan 21, 21, 3:45 pm

Your purchase amount should be close to $100 to trigger the credit, preferably less than $100. SO you can do two transactions, each $100.
Old Jan 22, 21, 7:58 am

amex personal plat
1/19 - bought two ~$98 tickets
1/21- reimbursement went through
Old Jan 22, 21, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Yes, and so the question for those of us with no current travel plans becomes whether to 1) act now and get Travel Funds that will expire a year from now, or 2) wait until later in the year so as to maximize the time you have to use the funds.

The risk with 1) is that your funds might expire before you want to fly again. The risk with 2) is that at any point this <$100 trick might stop working. I'll betting that it will keep working, so I'm waiting until later in the year.
Yes. Sigh. This is why I asked. Surely we will be able to resume some travel by the end of 2021 but there is a risk, esp for folks with multiple type credits. Ending up with $300-400 in travel funds that may go unused is annoying.
Old Jan 22, 21, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Yes. Sigh. This is why I asked. Surely we will be able to resume some travel by the end of 2021 but there is a risk, esp for folks with multiple type credits. Ending up with $300-400 in travel funds that may go unused is annoying.
I like the odds of the <$100 trick working the rest of the year. It's easy to lose sight of how travel-geeky and unusual we are in this forum. I don't think we collectively cost Amex much with this trick, and it wouldn't be worth their time to close the loophole. Besides, Amex probably figures a lot of the cardholders who play this game are Amex Plat fans who are profitable customers for them. I sure am.
Old Jan 22, 21, 12:11 pm

Hilton Aspire - Purchased a one-way $100+ ticket but brought the ticket price down to $82 using travel funds.

1/19 - purchased
1/21 - reimbursed
Old Jan 23, 21, 10:59 am

I’m hopefully optimistic of that too, but you may have seen in the other thread that they have closed the loophole last week on the “UA Travel Bank” that many hopped on last year, which provided 5 years expiration for travel on United.
Old Jan 23, 21, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I like the odds of the <$100 trick working the rest of the year. It's easy to lose sight of how travel-geeky and unusual we are in this forum. I don't think we collectively cost Amex much with this trick, and it wouldn't be worth their time to close the loophole. Besides, Amex probably figures a lot of the cardholders who play this game are Amex Plat fans who are profitable customers for them. I sure am.
I do too. Besides, what's the worst case scenario if it doesn't? It seems all you have to do is buy a "wanna get away" ticket and then upgrade it by using your AMEX card. That charge should be reimbursable by AMEX and then just cancel the ticket with the funds going to the travel funds, which is what we're doing today anyway. I haven't done it yet but don't see a reason why that would not work.
Old Jan 23, 21, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket View Post
I do too. Besides, what's the worst case scenario if it doesn't? It seems all you have to do is buy a "wanna get away" ticket and then upgrade it by using your AMEX card. That charge should be reimbursable by AMEX and then just cancel the ticket with the funds going to the travel funds, which is what we're doing today anyway. I haven't done it yet but don't see a reason why that would not work.
Upgrade it to what?
Old Jan 23, 21, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
Upgrade it to what?
to AnyTime or business. Or book anytime and then to business. Isn't that doable by calling them or will they have you cancel it and then rebook it under different class?
Old Jan 23, 21, 6:06 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Maybe I have missed something, but the above seems a bit convoluted
It seems fairly simple as far as I can see.
Worst case scenario seems to be that Amex does not refund purchases and you are left with a "gift card" which will expire within one year of purchase. No money lost, unless, of course, you can't use the credit on a flight within one year,
Old Jan 23, 21, 7:48 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyaxa View Post
....No money lost,....,
Correct, but you then still need to find a way to use the card benefit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: