Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is this really the last option left besides actual qualified expenses like luggage fees? I’ve got $400 in credits for this year and am reluctant to have more WN travel funds esp given the uncertainty of travel. But I don’t want to wait too long and end up with only options I will never use.
same with me. Thats why I changed all my cards to united and did the travelbank thing (5 years)
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by saint
Data points with purchases of one way or round-trip less than $100.
Amex Gold card: $100 - Charged 1/5/21 and credited 1/7/21
Is there a Gold card Travel benefit I've been missing out on? Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Is there a Gold card Travel benefit I've been missing out on? Thanks
Gold has $100 travel credit for 2021. It’s being phase out by an Uber credit that will be activated in “early 2021”. It won’t exist in 2022.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by evo12
Gold has $100 travel credit for 2021. It’s being phase out by an Uber credit that will be activated in “early 2021”. It won’t exist in 2022.
Thanks very much!
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saint
Data points with purchases of one way or round-trip less than $100. ...
You could have just said X number of transactions were successful, the 4 different cards you listed aren't relevant, as it functions the same way on every card that has the airline fee credit.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is this really the last option left besides actual qualified expenses like luggage fees? I’ve got $400 in credits for this year and am reluctant to have more WN travel funds esp given the uncertainty of travel.
I'll raise you to $950 this year... and I also converted nearly $600 in SW travel certs to points last year too. But yes, it's one of the last easy and repeatable ones. Though there are still some workarounds for UA and DL that are best discussed in their respective threads I'm not going full WN this year. I don't spend that much on this airline in a busy year so need to diversify.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat...basically all the status you can get for free...
Any problems with booking cheap WN flights then canceling and accepting the refund in travel credits? I'd like to use the funds for flights that are over $100, and it's making my head spin to try to find a way to trigger the credit, especially since I'm booking for a family of four. We have only one Amex card with an airline credit, so splitting payment is no help for me.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by bsbybms
Any problems with booking cheap WN flights then canceling and accepting the refund in travel credits? I'd like to use the funds for flights that are over $100, and it's making my head spin to try to find a way to trigger the credit, especially since I'm booking for a family of four. We have only one Amex card with an airline credit, so splitting payment is no help for me.
Done all the time. Just be aware that Travel Funds are locked to the pax name on the original ticket and carry the original expiry date to subsequent tickets.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bsbybms
No problem when booking cheap WN flights then canceling and accepting the refund in travel fund credit; however, the travel fund credit is tied to the original passenger name. You can't use the travel fund to book ticket for another passenger. For example, if you book a WN ticket under your name and cancel, then travel fund credit is tied to your name. You can't use it to book a ticket for your wife or kids.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:10 pm

Same as years prior .. got a couple of <$50 WGA tickets ... cancelled for a refund back to my AmEx at the 24H mark ... airline credit received ... refund received.

Note: doing this, while works, may or may not result in an eventual clawback from AmEx. I don’t care much for AmEx or potential clawbacks or bans .. so I do it every year .. and my monthly transactions are 100+ so that may or may not help to ‘bury’ these .... but just something to keep in mind.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:23 pm

Amex Gold
-OW ticket $99.98 purchased on 1/6
-Reimbursement on 1/8

Hilton Aspire
-OW ticket $95.19 purchased on 1/6
-Reimbursement on 1/8

Will convert these to travel credits and combine with some existing travel credits to purchase OW tickets in the $200 range. Very happy with that $99.98 fare on the gold card almost using the $100 credit in full.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by evo12
Amex Gold
-OW ticket $99.98 purchased on 1/6
-Reimbursement on 1/8
Is this AMEX GOLD $100 travel benefit "published", targeted or something that just happens? I can't find mention of it at all in my AMEX account under the Gold card. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Login to your American Express account, choose the Gold card, navigate to More > Benefits > $100 Airline Fee Credit. You must activate the benefit by choosing an airline. If you cannot find it online, call the telephone number on the back of your card.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:02 am

Thanks, not there under my BUSINESS GOLD card, I chatted and they claim it was only available for the PERSONAL GOLD card and that benefit expired on 12/31/20 !!

Definitely worthy of a call tomorrow...

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 10, 2021 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Thanks, not there under my BUSINESS GOLD card, I chatted and they claim it was only available for the PERSONAL GOLD.....
This is accurate.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 11:27 am

So essentially a good way to use up the credit is to book a sub $100 WN OW flight, cancel the flight, take the travel credit and use that travel credit for future use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.