Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
AF refunds, people trying to double/triple dip. Need to get it done fairly soon.
I remember hearing about triple dipping...is it getting the card in December 2018, using the credits in December 2018, then using the 2019 credits, AF posts 2020 so using the credit early 2020 and then cancelling before AF is due?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
... i hate expiring credits.
Credits expire a year after tix are cancelled, right? So without impending travel plans, it would make sense to buy those disposable tix as far into the future as possible, and not cancel them until credit is needed or their date comes close.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Credits expire a year after tix are cancelled, right? So without impending travel plans, it would make sense to buy those disposable tix as far into the future as possible, and not cancel them until credit is needed or their date comes close.
I think it is by purchase date, that's what I see when I look at my travel funds.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIFlya
I remember hearing about triple dipping...is it getting the card in December 2018, using the credits in December 2018, then using the 2019 credits, AF posts 2020 so using the credit early 2020 and then cancelling before AF is due?
Exactly. That is the triple dip. You've also got people who just get the card in December, get credits, then get them early again in January, and close the card to get an AF refund.

So, people who are in a rush to get their credits early in the year typically fall into one of the above 2 categories.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:53 pm

Exactly. That is the triple dip. You've also got people who just get the card in December, get credits, then get them early again in January, and close the card to get an AF refund.

So, people who are in a rush to get their credits early in the year typically fall into one of the above 2 categories.
If I had known I was going to tear my Achilles in January back in December, I might have tried the triple-dip. But man, I am normally so slow moving on these types of things, I probably would have ended up only single dipping..
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:32 pm

Too late for me now. I can assure you next year this loophole will be closed
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maulah
Too late for me now. I can assure you next year this loophole will be closed
There will probably be a ton of Plat/Aspire closures if that is the case.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:08 pm

i see the $96 but it's not "anytime". I thought it has to be the "anytime" fare in order to cancel the ticket and trigger the travel credit?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:32 pm

if I’m understanding the posts above correctly, instead of lowering the price with gift card. alternatively, I can buy >$99 ticket now, receive Amex credit, cancel it and apply those fund for my $104 ticket and actually only pay $5? Thanks in advance
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:33 pm

man you guys booking and then cancelling the flight to get the credit directly is really pushing it. you guys are putting yourself at risk to get your accounts closed by amex and also making ones that actually go on these flights lose a way to redeem the credits.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:35 pm

Exactly. That is the triple dip. You've also got people who just get the card in December, get credits, then get them early again in January, and close the card to get an AF refund
guess that some ppl, who previously had the card, just wanted to sign up to take a $400 airlines cr & run
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danhouston
guess that some ppl, who previously had the card, just wanted to sign up to take a $400 airlines cr & run
Absolutely, especially on the Biz Plat, which doesn't count against the Chase 5/24 rule. It's free money basically.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrea Chen
i see the $96 but it's not "anytime". I thought it has to be the "anytime" fare in order to cancel the ticket and trigger the travel credit?
Doesn't matter. Business, Anytime, Wanna Get Away all work.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Another and more legit way to use this credit is adding Early Bird to your flights. Also, I’m pretty sure the airline fee credit can be used for Southwest‘s boarding group upgrade, so that may be a good option. This is where when you’re at the gate you can ask if they have any boarding group upgrades and if they do they will usually charge you $40 or $50 and you will get an A 1 through A15 boarding pass.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:31 am

Has anyone seen a data point for a $90 flight booked for a child flying as an unaccompanied minor getting the full $140 back? $90 for the ticket, $50 in unaccompanied minor fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.