Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:54 am

Hilton Honors Aspire Card

Southwest selected as airline from last year, no changes made on 1/1/20

1/1 - 3 separate one way tickets purchased ($68.98, $88.98, $91.98)
1/3 - transactions posted (SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX) - under details of transactions shows flight information, passenger name, ticket number
1/4 - airline credit meter moved down
1/5 - credits posted on account (although transaction date for credits were for 1/4)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:35 pm

1/1 changed airline
1/2 purchased 2 one-way tickets in the low $90s, separate transactions
1/5 meter moved and reimbursed
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by macatak911
Allegedly systemwide travel voucher issuance system is down so don't cancel anything today until you hear it's working again
just canceled 2 tickets into travel funds that now the system can't find...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
just canceled 2 tickets into travel funds that now the system can't find...
CS rep had to submit a form for me.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:28 pm

Can you cancel the ticket within 24hr and still get the credit?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I wish people would be specific when making these types of posts that I see all the time.

Are you asking if you can cancel and get the refund back to your credit card OR if you can cancel and hold the funds for future travel use?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I wish people would be specific when making these types of posts that I see all the time.

Are you asking if you can cancel and get the refund back to your credit card OR if you can cancel and hold the funds for future travel use?
for those folks that wanted to cancel within 24 hr, it's likely a given that look for a refund to CC...

the answer is likely a 'no', b/c the charge is still pending or not yet posted
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
for those folks that wanted to cancel within 24 hr, it's likely a given that look for a refund to CC...

the answer is likely a 'no', b/c the charge is still pending or not yet posted
You can cancel immediately after purchase and select Hold for Future Use. It will work.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by soldja
You can cancel immediately after purchase and select Hold for Future Use. It will work.
soldja, u didn't understand or answer the kaiotes' question or intention; the credit inquired for is amex's not wn's

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 5, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
soldja, u didn't understand or answer the kaiotes' question or intention; the credit inquired for is amex's not wn's
Thanks. I was talking about getting the Amex credit (given it's what this thread is about). But I don't want to add confusion at this point, so I'll just hold off.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
The recommendation is to wait a few hours or even 24 hours after selecting airline before purchasing the ticket.
Yeah, damn I should have as nothing is posted even today. I think I won't get reimbursed for 2019 then. Let this be an example for anyone else to wait at least 24 hours after selecting an airline
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Pham
Yeah, damn I should have as nothing is posted even today. I think I won't get reimbursed for 2019 then. Let this be an example for anyone else to wait at least 24 hours after selecting an airline
a chat asking for a manual adj wouldn't hurt; worked for me before
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim Pham
Hit or miss. In past years, I always bought tickets a few seconds after selecting airline and never had an issue.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by soldja
I'm confused. What's the benefit of canceling immediately then? Isn't this the same result as canceling in a few days?

Hold for Future use = Southwest credit, correct?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Originally Posted by cliff1127
I'm confused. What's the benefit of canceling immediately then? Isn't this the same result as canceling in a few days?

Hold for Future use = Southwest credit, correct?
read more prior posts of potential risks and why people do it, plus this:
https://upgradedpoints.com/how-to-ca...uthwest-flight

and this:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-info-pol.html

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jan 5, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.