Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by TrojanFan
Glad to see this is still working... going to hold off on using the credit until later in the year. Don't have much travel planned given the Covid situation, so would like to extend the 12 month clock on the travel funds that will be created as much as possible. I suppose the only risk to that strategy is if they close this, but I think I'll take my chances.
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yes, and so the question for those of us with no current travel plans becomes whether to 1) act now and get Travel Funds that will expire a year from now, or 2) wait until later in the year so as to maximize the time you have to use the funds.

The risk with 1) is that your funds might expire before you want to fly again. The risk with 2) is that at any point this <$100 trick might stop working. I'll betting that it will keep working, so I'm waiting until later in the year.
yea. i was curious why anyone was buying up WN so early. but i guess many are canceling their amex cards. gawd i hope TF to RR conversion promo happens again but i doubt it. i also hate the 1 year exp policy. im seriously considering switching everything over to UA now that TB is back online with 5 year shelf life.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by xov91
I think I messed this one up and may cost myself $94. Last week, I booked two one ways at $104.98 and $93.98. Realizing the former might be too high for reimbursement, I canceled it and booked an earlier flight for $93.98. The refund from southwest for $104.98 came through a day later.

Logged into Amex this morning and saw three airline reimbursements for $104.98, $93.98, and $1.04. The reimbursement for $104.98 will surely be clawed back and the meter not reset, right? Obviously not going to call in about this one...
im confused. lay out it more clearly for us with dates. im assuming you did 104 + 93 x 2 but you cancelled 104? but amex credited you with 104 + 93 + 1? but you bought 93 x 2 right? just cancel your flights to get TF. then buy another flight priced higher than your TF. then pay with the TF + amex for the remaining air credit. then cancel again. all TF would be grouped together with the earliest exp date. which doesnt matter since you just bought it anyway. its all the same dates.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
yea. i was curious why anyone was buying up WN so early.
Some of us are travelling and have legit use for WN travel funds now, not in 8 months
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
im confused. lay out it more clearly for us with dates. im assuming you did 104 + 93 x 2 but you cancelled 104? but amex credited you with 104 + 93 + 1? but you bought 93 x 2 right? just cancel your flights to get TF. then buy another flight priced higher than your TF. then pay with the TF + amex for the remaining air credit. then cancel again. all TF would be grouped together with the earliest exp date. which doesnt matter since you just bought it anyway. its all the same dates.
Your understanding is correct. I assume Amex will reverse the $104.98 credit since WN refunded that amount. Will Amex then reimburse another $104.98 in the future? If so, I'll follow your suggestion of canceling the rebooked flight of $93.98 and using TF+Amex to purchase another flight. Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I think I messed this one up and may cost myself $94. Last week, I booked two one ways at $104.98 and $93.98. Realizing the former might be too high for reimbursement, I canceled it and booked an earlier flight for $93.98. The refund from southwest for $104.98 came through a day later. Logged into Amex this morning and saw three airline reimbursements for $104.98, $93.98, and $1.04. The reimbursement for $104.98 will surely be clawed back and the meter not reset, right? Obviously not going to call in about this one...
Nooooooooooooooo. Always come here first. There are several reports of AmEx credits on WN tickets of up to $108.98. It most likely would have gone through.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Some of us are travelling and have legit use for WN travel funds now, not in 8 months
oh i see. i didnt think this thread was used for anything legitimate. loophole abuse only.

Your understanding is correct. I assume Amex will reverse the $104.98 credit since WN refunded that amount. Will Amex then reimburse another $104.98 in the future? If so, I'll follow your suggestion of canceling the rebooked flight of $93.98 and using TF+Amex to purchase another flight. Thanks.
yes. do the purchase ASAP so amex systems wont bother doing a clawback on the refunded ticket. otherwise you will see the 104 refund. then 104 amex clawback. then your new 104 purchase. then 104 credit again. however, in the past, clawbacks didnt even happen. same with amex resort credits. which is why amex updated its terms for RAT CYA.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/americ...-prevent-abuse

Originally Posted by Tanic
Nooooooooooooooo. Always come here first. There are several reports of AmEx credits on WN tickets of up to $108.98. It most likely would have gone through.
thats not how people work. they do the mistake first. panic. then come here for help. then call the bank and reference FT.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Another DP to support this. I did not think it would work at first but decided to try it out anyways.

Purchased OW for 2 passengers at $157.98/person after taxes ($133.56/person before taxes).
Used 2x $25 gift cards. Both were applied to one passenger automatically.
Ended up with two charges posted on March 10 using Aspire: $107.98 and $157.98.
March 12: $107.98 credited back
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:54 am

Amex Gold
March 11: $98 ticket purchase
March 15: Airline credit reimbursement

Amex Plat
March 11: $94 ticket purchase
March 15: Airline credit reimbursement
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:44 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Anyone else having issues receiving gift cards? I did the math & purchased a GC to get the remaining balance of a flight down to $99--a day has passed & I still haven't received GC-called & they're saying it could take up to 72 hours for it to be generated? This is a first for me.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I just bought a $98 ticket to use the credit. But need a different date and destination, more expensive ticket. So I need to change or cancel the flight within the 24 hour booking window. Credit won’t post for a few days. I don’t want Amex to refund. If I cancel the ticket, can I request travel funds rather than refund? Or if I change and pay the difference with a different card, would that work? Not sure how SW billing works.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I just bought a $98 ticket to use the credit. But need a different date and destination, more expensive ticket. So I need to change or cancel the flight within the 24 hour booking window. Credit won’t post for a few days. I don’t want Amex to refund. If I cancel the ticket, can I request travel funds rather than refund? Or if I change and pay the difference with a different card, would that work? Not sure how SW billing works.
Avoid requesting a refund within 24 hours; it could result in an AmEx clawback. After 24 hours WN will only offer Travel Funds for a flight ticket cancellation, which sounds like what you want. Doesn't really matter which CC is used to buy the more expensive ticket. If it's your AmEx card, you will get more credit up to your airline credit ceiling as long as the ticket price difference is less than USD$108.98. Remember that Travel Funds are locked to the original pax name.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
You can change the flight details without cancelling the ticket (i.e., one or both destinations and/or the flight date), so long as the name on the ticket is on the same. You can also do this after the 24 hour window up to the date of the flight. If your new flight is more expensive, you will need to pay the extra amount by credit card. If your new flight is cheaper, you will get travel funds credit. For one particular trip, I made multiple changes to a ticket (changing the departure airport, then the arrival airport, then the date) without issues.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhan1987
You can change the flight details without cancelling the ticket (i.e., one or both destinations and/or the flight date), so long as the name on the ticket is on the same. You can also do this after the 24 hour window up to the date of the flight. If your new flight is more expensive, you will need to pay the extra amount by credit card. If your new flight is cheaper, you will get travel funds credit. For one particular trip, I made multiple changes to a ticket (changing the departure airport, then the arrival airport, then the date) without issues.
Thanks. I was most concerned about any changes inside the 24 hour purchase window. In the end I decided to wait and hope the cost for new flight didn’t rise too much. Was successful ultimately.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:46 pm

First time doing this, sorry. If I'm actually planning to travel but the flight I want is about $150, do I have to book a flight under $100, wait 24 hours, cancel and then apply the funds, or can I buy a flight for under $100 and then immediately change it to $150 flight. If I paid for the remainder with my Plat again would it trigger the credit twice e.g. the initial $100 + the $50 difference on the new flight? Or is that kind of risky with Amex and better to pay the remainder with another card?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
$5.60 reward fees booked on 3/28 reimbursed by 4/1. Bookings on 3/30 not yet reimbursed but expect it to take a couple more days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.