Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Newbie
Just an update, it seems that Southwest website changed and will only allow you to apply the WHOLE southwest giftcard amount vs just a partial giftcard amount if you are looking to get under $100.

Unless I am doing something wrong.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by pita2go
Just an update, it seems that Southwest website changed and will only allow you to apply the WHOLE southwest giftcard amount vs just a partial giftcard amount if you are looking to get under $100.
It's been that way. Two workarounds: either buy a smaller gift card then apply it, or use the existing GC to buy a cheap ticket (they're out there under $40), turn the cheap ticket into TFs, then apply the TFs to get under $100ish.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:42 pm

Anyone confirm yet if the <$100 flights qualify for the 2020 Airline credit for Amex Platinum/Biz Platinum?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:02 pm

I have 5 cards with travel credits, Amex Biz Plat $200, Amex PRG $100, Amex Hilton Aspire $250, Citi Prestige $250, Chase CSR $300.

Southwest was my airline for all 3 Amex cards in 2019 and keeping it that way in 2020.

I plan to cancel Biz Plat & Prestige this year, so started with them first.

1/1/2020: Purchased $250 worth of Southwest GCs on the Prestige. Txn pending, will update this post with results once known.

1/1/2020: Purchased $172.98 Southwest flight (for my mom who will actually fly it). Used $75 in GCs and charged $97.98 to Amex Biz Plat. Txn pending, no meter movement or reimbursement yet. Will update this post with results once known.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by cliff1127
Anyone confirm yet if the <$100 flights qualify for the 2020 Airline credit for Amex Platinum/Biz Platinum?
Got 2 flights on Jan. 2 will let you know once credit posts. Charges are still pending. On a separate topic my swipe date for Dell was Dec. 30 but charge posted on Jan. 1 so most likely that will not use my 2019 Biz Plat Dell credit.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sleepy3192
man you guys booking and then cancelling the flight to get the credit directly is really pushing it. you guys are putting yourself at risk to get your accounts closed by amex and also making ones that actually go on these flights lose a way to redeem the credits.
because n00bs never learn. too many short term mindsets.

Originally Posted by maulah
I can assure you next year this loophole will be closed
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
There will probably be a ton of Plat/Aspire closures if that is the case.
well i can tell you amex DGAF.

AF refunds, people trying to double/triple dip. Need to get it done fairly soon.
Exactly. That is the triple dip. You've also got people who just get the card in December, get credits, then get them early again in January, and close the card to get an AF refund.

So, people who are in a rush to get their credits early in the year typically fall into one of the above 2 categories.
yea. im sure thats a major reason, but amex doesnt play games anymore. this has been clear the past several months. meaning, people who are triple dipping and doing other questionable activities should also consider pop-up bans and bonus clawbacks even when NLL is used.

amex language used in their popup is very broad for a reason.
“based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, and the number of cards you have opened and closed.”

its time to change strategy for 2020 and beyond.

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Amex rat seems pretty calm compared to aa these days, that being said is it really worth getting shutdown/ blacklisted on behavior that borders on fraud? I am with you in taking the travel funds or early bird and appreciating the remaining loophole of travel funds.
definitely, but i would argue that they are in the same league. they do what they want whenever they want. RAT = CorpSec.

Originally Posted by sleepy3192
12/29: Bought 4 one way tickets under $100
12/30: Transactions posted
12/31: Under Benefits section, it says "You have used all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year.It will renew again starting Jan 2020"

Waiting for credits to actually post. Which I'm assuming will be the next business day.. Was able to use the remaining credits for 2019 and will get a new set of credits for 2020...

Credits posted on 12/31
thats very fast and very rare esp at year end, but it does happen. nice DP.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Credits expire a year after tix are cancelled, right? So without impending travel plans, it would make sense to buy those disposable tix as far into the future as possible, and not cancel them until credit is needed or their date comes close.
no. as someone else had mentioned, WN TF uses the PURCHASE DATE as the original date. TF expire exactly 1 yr from that date. doesnt matter when you cancel or when your flight is. also im certain CST is used. its def not EST. i had purchased fares past 12AM EST but the TF still posted as prior day. regardless, thats only a 1 day difference. so your suggestion to wait as long as possible is correct. buy/cancel late into 2020. however, amex may close the loophole soon. YMMV.

link to useful blog post.
https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2019/...credit-voucher

Originally Posted by HIFlya
I had read somewhere that by using the funds to purchase a ticket and you cancel again, your new funds will be the date of your latest purchase. I am not sure if I read the post/blog correctly, or maybe that loophole was closed. I heard that SW was allowing you one cancellation to get this informal extension on your credit.
no. thats not correct unless something has changed. maybe someone can enlighten me, but when you mix funds, the OLDEST date is used. thats why you dont mix, but theres a way to split. YMMV and use with caution.

https://saverocity.com/pointsadventu...nmix-new-funds

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jan 3, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:11 pm

12/30 - Called to book flight for 3 year old (attached to wife's confirmation number for same flight) $92.
12/30 - Booked wife on BWI to MDW $54 in March

1/3 - Both transactions posted credits. Ended up burning like $8 of credits
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: reddit churning
Originally Posted by pita2go

Unless I am doing something wrong.
Been that way as far as I've been doing this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
well i can tell you amex DGAF.
Their shareholders will

yea. im sure thats a major reason, but amex doesnt play games anymore. this has been clear the past several months. meaning, people who are triple dipping and doing other questionable activities should also consider pop-up bans and bonus clawbacks even when NLL is used.

amex language used in their popup is very broad for a reason.
“based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, and the number of cards you have opened and closed.”

its time to change strategy for 2020 and beyond.
Many people, especially the commando churners, have already hit their bonus on each AMEX card so they aren't worried about bonuses anymore. They are just hitting the cards for the residual benefits, especially in the case of the Biz Plat which doesn't count against Chase 5/24.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:12 pm

Their shareholders will
you mean just like citi and AA shareholders?

its always comical whenever this community believes large banks will become the next Sears, TRUs, or Forever 21 just because they have unhappy churners. we are a small annoying spec on their overall balance sheet and they are actively removing that risk. however, i will agree that after another financial collapse, banks will loosen their policies again.

Many people, especially the commando churners, have already hit their bonus on each AMEX card so they aren't worried about bonuses anymore. They are just hitting the cards for the residual benefits, especially in the case of the Biz Plat which doesn't count against Chase 5/24.
its not just about hitting bonuses. if amex if willing to send you a bill for dell credit on a closed CC from a year ago, it means they DGAF. meaning, i dont want people in this thread to think amex will just sit back and allow WN air fares sub $100 to get credited forever. its a risk and we are all taking it with caution. i certainly dont want to see a bill later this year on a closed CC.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

you mean just like citi and AA shareholders?

its always comical whenever this community believes large banks will become the next Sears, TRUs, or Forever 21 just because they have unhappy churners. we are a small annoying spec on their overall balance sheet and they are actively removing that risk. however, i will agree that after another financial collapse, banks will loosen their policies again.
From what I've seen, it's not just churners that are becoming disillusioned with AMEX. AMEX has become the king of breakage, always trying to squeeze their cardholders (churners and non-churners alike). The Biz Plat carries a $595 AF. If people can't even get their airline credits which is a big part of why the AF is what it is, the card just no longer makes sense.

its not just about hitting bonuses. if amex if willing to send you a bill for dell credit on a closed CC from a year ago, it means they DGAF. meaning, i dont want people in this thread to think amex will just sit back and allow WN air fares sub $100 to get credited forever. its a risk and we are all taking it with caution. i certainly dont want to see a bill later this year on a closed CC.
Good luck to AMEX collecting those fees if that's the route they go. The clawbacks wouldn't even hold up if I took them to arbitration.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mediahound
Another and more legit way to use this credit is adding Early Bird to your flights. Also, I’m pretty sure the airline fee credit can be used for Southwest‘s boarding group upgrade, so that may be a good option. This is where when you’re at the gate you can ask if they have any boarding group upgrades and if they do they will usually charge you $40 or $50 and you will get an A 1 through A15 boarding pass.
EB is good but I don't like paying for EB far in advance. The reason is that I like to check my SW flight to see if the price has dropped to rebook it at that price. If you've already bought EB, since EB is non-refundable, you're basically locked into the flight unless the price drops by more than $25.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:06 pm

Buying a flight for myself and three kids (all under 12) to island hop from Oahu to Kauai. Flights are $49. Can I buy it all 4 tickets at the same time with my platinum and they will code as 4 $49 flights or will it post as a $196 transaction and not get reimbursed? Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:04 pm

Will not get reimbursed. Can do yourself and one kid. Then call in to book the other two together and link it to yours.
choklit likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:15 pm

12/29 - Purchased 2x $49 tickets on same reservation
12/31 - Received $98 reimbursement

12/30 - Purchased 2x $49 tickets on same reservation
1/3 - Received $98 reimbursement

Both reimbursements applied to my 2019 credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.