Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Amex Platinum Insurance on Partially Paid Holiday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Hi All

Kind of convoluted subject I know, but was hoping someone here might be able to shed light on a few questions.

I've recently booked a British Airways Flight + Car package (decent savings to be honest) departing from UK to the US. I opted to pay the deposit (~25%), with the full balance due in a few months. I paid the deposit with my UK Amex Platinum. Can anyone please confirm the following:
  1. Am I still covered by the Amex Plat's insurance (trip disruption, car excess waiver, delays, etc.) should I pay the remaining balance with a different card? I couldn't find any wording on partially paid trips with Amex Platinum and want to make sure I have no surprises....but I have another card with better earning rates which I want to use.
  2. First time booking a car through BA, but I'm assuming it's fine to decline CDW at the car rental and opt for my card's insurance as per usual. Or does BA have some cryptic T&C which somehow invalidates my insurance / may result in extra car fees?
Thanks in advance for any input.

G
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Have a look at the following document. There are certain benefits that only apply if you paid using an AMEX card. If you don’t want to go through the whole document, use the search function for the words “in full” and read those parts.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...on-april19.pdf

Car insurance should be fine however, as long as the car rental company accepts AMEX as insurance and there is no mandatory purchase of their insurance.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:37 pm

If I understand correctly then, the amex platinum car ins and medical cover is provided regardless of payment method?

We have just booked 8 BA J/F flights using the BA premium amex to pay instead of the usual platinum amex and foolishly hadn't thought about the lack of insurance. I realise the BA amex has insurance but that seems to be only for flight/baggage delays etc ie travel inconvenience so am I correct in thinking that for these holidays, the main insurance item missing for us will be the travel cancellation/curtailment section?

Last edited by shelly67; Jan 3, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by shelly67
If I understand correctly then, the amex platinum car ins and medical cover is provided regardless of payment method?

We have just booked 8 BA J/F flights using the BA premium amex to pay instead of the usual platinum amex and foolishly hadn't thought about the lack of insurance. I realise the BA amex has insurance but that seems to be only for flight/baggage delays etc ie travel inconvenience so am I correct in thinking that for these holidays, the main insurance item missing for us will be the travel cancellation/curtailment section?
1) Correct
2) No - you need to use an AMEX card, but not necessarily the Platinum. You will still be covered if you used the BA AMEX card.

as per T&Cs:

“For the benefits under this section to apply transport and/or accommodation must have been Purchased in full using:
I. the Card;...”

which leads us to:

Card means any card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary
Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account

and finally to:

“Account” or “Card Account” means your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners

So don’t worry and enjoy your holidays
shelly67 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:57 pm

Thank you so much for that..... much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.