Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2020 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Old Jan 1, 20, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AEROPLAN

Hereís the 2020 thread. Havenít received an invite yet.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:54 am

subscribed

back with a platinum card

member since 2014 (switched cards from 2018-2019)

annual spend pales in comparison to everyone else here

about $100k annually on personal platinum card (but hoping to expand, getting more into luxury travel as the kids get older, just returned from the wdw viptour)

but it never hurts to keep aspiring
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:44 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
It'll be interesting to see if interest in an invitation to the centurion cards decreases now that the AF is set to double with questionable added benefits.
Maine2LA likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The biggest question is why raise your annual fee so much to offer a benefit that is so geographically limited (Equinox membership).

I suspect the data must have shown significant overlap between users and locations of Equinox, but still... wouldn’t you want to grow your user base of this high-end prestigious product?

AB
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
Wouldnít you want to grow your user base of this high-end prestigious product?

AB
Not if the product is more prestigious the smaller the userbase.

Honestly, I'd expect that there are already a lot more Centurions than AmEx wants, thanks to a phenomenal 5-plus years in the stock and in the high-end residential real estate markets. A wealth effect of epic proportions which has probably resulted in a higher invite acceptance rate than AmEx ever imagined.
Circumnavigate likes this.

Last edited by hhdl; Jan 1, 20 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Still looking for an answer on this...
I have been putting majority of the spending on the Bonvoy Brilliant card because I also am Bonvoy Titanium- and using the Platinum MS as a traveling booking card for the 5x points on flight and the $1m flight insurance.
Do they only look at platinum card spending or is it a combined value of personal cards?
I've been putting on ~$80-100k/month on the cards, so it should meet min requirements, but I just want to make sure the spending is towards on the right card.
The goal is to make personal centurion in USA
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:22 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by zhan View Post
....Do they only look at platinum card spending or is it a combined value of personal cards?
See THIS post. (Optima was American Express (USA)'s first credit card. All of the current credit cards, including the co-branded Marriott cards, are descended from Optima.)
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by hhdl View Post
Not if the product is more prestigious the smaller the userbase.

Honestly, I'd expect that there are already a lot more Centurions than AmEx wants, thanks to a phenomenal 5-plus years in the stock and in the high-end residential real estate markets. A wealth effect of epic proportions which has probably resulted in a higher invite acceptance rate than AmEx ever imagined.
I think I probably agree with this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
I got an invite and received my card this month. BTW, it does matter whether you use a Platinum Amex or other type of Amex (platinum being better to get the black).
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTT AA PLT
Originally Posted by lincoln841 View Post
I got an invite and received my card this month. BTW, it does matter whether you use a Platinum Amex or other type of Amex (platinum being better to get the black).
Would you mind share a little more details regarding you invitation? What was your total spending across all Amex last year? I assume you were invited for personal centurion?
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:30 pm

I got a Business Centurion. I had been spending a lot on my SPG Amex, but it doesn't count the same. I probably put around $5M on my Biz Platinum in 2 months before I got the invite. Supposedly, it was the last (and possibly only) invitation to go out post-Thanksgiving of last year.

Last edited by lincoln841; Jan 7, 20 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:36 pm

It absolutely did not matter in the past what amex product card you had spend on so I doubt your remark is correct unless you have some inside information and by inside information I mean someone besides a centurion or platinum customer service representative
Maine2LA likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 11:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Costco Amex > SPG Amex > Personal Centurion > Business Centurion in my case. YMMV
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:35 am

It 100% matters. I spent about $20M a year on my SPG Amex for years, and didn't get an invite. Once I got in touch with Amex, they told me to switch to Biz Platinum and I would get it quickly. They have a distinction between a charge card and credit card, and told me it matters for the Centurion invite.
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:10 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
.... I spent about $20M a year on my SPG Amex for years.....
Personal or business?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: