Declined for Amex Green card

Old Jan 14, 20, 4:10 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyguy6 View Post
Here are my number on Experian. I am surprised to see that my business card are showing up here too.
Inquiries are not the same as Accounts. The letter does not mention inquiries. How many card accounts have you opened?

(Inquiries in connection with a business card application are reported. The resulting Business Card ACCOUNT would typically not be reported.)
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list Pref., Marriott PP, National EX, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Inquiries are not the same as Accounts. The letter does not mention inquiries. How many card accounts have you opened?

(Inquiries in connection with a business card application are reported. The resulting Business Card ACCOUNT would typically not be reported.)
7 total business and personal card in last 2 years.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:11 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

7 total business and personal card in last 2 years.
American Express wouldn't be able to see the Business accounts, unless opened with American Express. Can you break this out:

Personal
Amex business
Other business
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:04 am
Original Poster

American Express wouldn't be able to see the Business accounts, unless opened with American Express. Can you break this out:

Personal
Amex business
Other business
I here is breakdown for last 2 years.

Personal: 2
Amex business: 1
Other business (Chase): 3

Last edited by flyguy6; Yesterday at 11:42 am
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
I here is breakdown for last 2 years.

Personal: 2
Amex business: 1
Other business: 3
It doesn't seem very high at all, but maybe that's just my perception.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:34 am
mia

The Experian report that American Express cited should show only two card accounts opened in the past 24 months. Have you checked the report to verify that it is accurate? If, for example, your identity has been compromised there could be a flurry of other activity.

American Express would know about a third account (their own Business card). They could infer that you had opened other business accounts from the Inquiries, but if that were the case I would expect them to mention Inquires, rather than Accounts, in the letter.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
The Experian report that American Express cited should show only two card accounts opened in the past 24 months. Have you checked the report to verify that it is accurate? If, for example, your identity has been compromised there could be a flurry of other activity.

American Express would know about a third account (their own Business card). They could infer that you had opened other business accounts from the Inquiries, but if that were the case I would expect them to mention Inquires, rather than Accounts, in the letter.
Or flyguy6 could have opened Capital One and/or Discover business cards which do report to one's personal credit report. He only cites three "other business" cards without specifics.
mia likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
It doesn't seem very high at all, but maybe that's just my perception.
That is what I though but Amex clearly has a different idea what is too many.

I had identity theft about a year ago but I have confirmed all of the fraudulently activity has been removed from my credit report. Yeah that is possible explanation. Although not stated int he letter, they could also be dissatisfied that I closed my Amex business card after the first year.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Or flyguy6 could have opened Capital One and/or Discover business cards which do report to one's personal credit report. He only cites three "other business" cards without specifics.
The 3 other business cards are with Chase.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 am
mia

....could also be dissatisfied that I closed my Amex business card after the first year..
Typically that is a reason to deny a bonus, not to reject the application. I would request a copy of the Experian report and look to see if any extra accounts are shown as opened in the past two years (which is as far back at that information is usually shown.)
Old Yesterday, 7:11 pm

I also have the same "too many bank cards" rejection reason. Here are my cards over the past 2 years:
(the dates to the right indicate when that card will fall off of 5/24 count status)
Cards:
Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard (03-01-2020)
Chase Freedom (08-01-2020)
US Bank Altitude Reserve (08-01-2020)
Sears Mastercard (09-01-2020)
Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard (01-01-2021)
American Express Marriott Bonvoy (03-01-2021)
Rakuten Cash Back Visa (formerly Ebates) (09-01-2021)

I'm guessing this is too many?
Old Yesterday, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3sgtekb View Post
I also have the same "too many bank cards" rejection reason. Here are my cards over the past 2 years:
(the dates to the right indicate when that card will fall off of 5/24 count status)
Cards:
Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard (03-01-2020)
Chase Freedom (08-01-2020)
US Bank Altitude Reserve (08-01-2020)
Sears Mastercard (09-01-2020)
Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard (01-01-2021)
American Express Marriott Bonvoy (03-01-2021)
Rakuten Cash Back Visa (formerly Ebates) (09-01-2021)

I'm guessing this is too many?
A number of those aren't super recent so that's surprising because I got approved with more recent ones.
Old Today, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
A number of those aren't super recent so that's surprising because I got approved with more recent ones.
It would maybe seem that Amex could be denying approvals based on total number of revolving accounts rather than recent inquiries. I believe I'm at 29, but with 44 since 2013.
Old Today, 12:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by 3sgtekb View Post
I also have the same "too many bank cards"
Too many cards, or too many new bank card accounts?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: