Cancelling Delta Gold?

Old Dec 17, 19, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Cancelling Delta Gold?

The $95 annual fee has hit and after the changes coming in January, I don't think this card will be of any value to a couple time a year Delta flier. My question is this: I received a signup bonus that I got in a mailer and I don't want to have the points clawed back. From what I've read in other threads, I need to wait until it has been at least 12 months to the day since opening the card before calling in to cancel. If that is the case, is there a way to see what the opening date is according to AMEX?

Any other cautionary pieces of advice or suggestions if you think I should PC to something else would be appreciated as well (already have the BBP but no other cards with AMEX).
Old Dec 17, 19, 11:52 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If the renewal annual fee has been billed you are almost certainly past the 365th day, but you can verify this by looking in your email archive for an email with a Subject line like this: Your American Express Application was Approved!
sdsearch and cerps343 like this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerps343 View Post
The $95 annual fee has hit and after the changes coming in January, I don't think this card will be of any value to a couple time a year Delta flier. My question is this: I received a signup bonus that I got in a mailer and I don't want to have the points clawed back. From what I've read in other threads, I need to wait until it has been at least 12 months to the day since opening the card before calling in to cancel. If that is the case, is there a way to see what the opening date is according to AMEX?

Any other cautionary pieces of advice or suggestions if you think I should PC to something else would be appreciated as well (already have the BBP but no other cards with AMEX).
Why don't you first (right after you see the annual fee on your account) call the special retentions number in the wikipost atop this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html

Perhaps they'll give you an offer which will make you not want to cancel the card after all. It can't hurt to try.

Meanwhile, go to Amex and look at your spending history on this card. You presumably started spending right after you got it, and if so your first purchase should give you a fairly good idea of when you got the card.

But like mia said, if you still have your approval email, finding the date of that will be the best thing.

And Amex may wait until close to 13 months after you opened the card to bill the first annual fee (no guarantee, but it's certainly happened before), and you have some time after the fee is billed before you have to make a final decision, so there's no need to cancel before at least 13 full months.

For example, I was approved for my Delta card on the 20th of a month (per the email), but my statement closes around the 15th of each month. So since they won't bill the AF at 12 months minus 5 days after opening, they have to wait until 13 months minus 5 days to put the AF on the statement to have the first opportunity a full 12 months after opening. And then, since you have way more than 5 days to pay, that's a full 13 months, and more, that you can wait before making a final decision.
cerps343 likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 17, 19 at 10:43 pm
Old Dec 19, 19, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the 12 month point, would it make sense to upgrade to the DL Plat card? If you fly DL a couple times a year, you probably should at least evaluate whether this would be worthwhile to you as it could be an easy way to get at least FO status plus some other benefits, even without status.
cerps343 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 6:37 am

Here's what I would do. Wait for the statement where you see the annual fee accessed. Then, a few days before the due date, call and mention you'd like the close the card. Upon being asked why, just say something like, "oh, I didn't fly Delta as often as I would have liked." When you go to retention, most likely, you'll be offered an a bonus to upgrade to Platinum. The bonus, I suspect, is different for each cardmember.

By the way, assuming yours is the personal one. As a suggestion, with Amex, do not under any circumstances agree to a product change unless you receive an enticement for which you're content.
cerps343 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:55 pm
GRG

Programs: DL SM
I was debating what to do with my DL Gold as the loss of Sky Club access was a total deal breaker for my spouse, but before I had a chance to contact Amex to discuss options they sent me an offer of 15K miles to upgrade to the DL Plat card (I know the signup bonus is a lot more but I'm gardening for a new car purchase next year, so no hard pulls). I mulled it over for a bit and figured the companion certificate alone would more than cover the annual fee, even if we only fly once in a given year, and maintaining SC access will keep the spouse happy (happy spouse, happy travels), so I went ahead with the upgrade.

Last edited by GRG; Dec 19, 19 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you charge the new car to an AmEx credit card?
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:12 pm
GRG

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can you charge the new car to an AmEx credit card?
That sure would earn a lot of miles.
Old Dec 19, 19, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by GRG View Post
I was debating what to do with my DL Gold ... they sent me an offer of 15K miles to upgrade to the DL Plat card (I know the signup bonus is a lot more but I'm gardening for a new car purchase next year, so no hard pulls). ... so I went ahead with the upgrade.
That hurts to read, considering a DL Plat sign up bonus can be 70-80k lately. Also auto loans aren't very sensitive to HPs as long as you have a good credit score. My Mom recently received a similar upgrade offer and when she told me about it I told her to shred it since it's not worth it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: