2020 Airline Credit Strategy?

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 20, 19, 5:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed for any airline. There are ways to use gift cards to create a transaction that may be reimbursed, but not all airlines sell gift cards.

Airline lounge memberships and passes are reimbursed, for the airlines which operate them: AS, AA, DL, UA.

Note that there is a separate discussion thread for each airline. Questions about what works, and how to structure the transactions, are almost certainly already answered:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Airlines
Frontier Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
JetBlue Airlines
Southwest Airlines
Spirit Airlines
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 5, 19, 9:26 am
Original Poster

It's that time of the year - so I'm bummed we can buy gift cards anymore but it seems that there's only two airlines where you can make your credit work for paying for airlines tickets:
Jet Blue - Using their Travel Bank
Delta - Using the gift card / pay the residual on AMEX trick

Do you think there's a better one? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Brian Chen View Post
It's that time of the year - so I'm bummed we can buy gift cards anymore but it seems that there's only two airlines where you can make your credit work for paying for airlines tickets:
Jet Blue - Using their Travel Bank
Delta - Using the gift card / pay the residual on AMEX trick

AmEX credit currently works on WN tickets under $109. And residual GC trick for more expensive fares.

Last edited by mia; Dec 5, 19 at 9:44 am
Old Dec 11, 19, 1:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I am still deciding and to me I want to make sure I have a legitimate use of the fee in case they keep closing workarounds. For DL, that means using the credit for my wife's entry to the Skyclub; for WN on EBCI fees. Between the two I decided to stay with DL for 2020.
Old Dec 11, 19, 2:33 pm

I have 20 days to utilize my airline fee credit on my gold card, what gives?

I still havenít a picked an airline yet and I need to make something happen in 20 days I usually fly
domestic delta or southwest, what are my options between these airliners to maximize this $100 credit....some say buy delta sky miles select, what works?
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 1NYER View Post
I still havenít a picked an airline yet and I need to make something happen in 20 days I usually fly
domestic delta or southwest, what are my options between these airliners to maximize this $100 credit....some say buy delta sky miles select, what works?
Welcome to FT!

There are separate threads for experiences using the credits for each airline

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...west-only.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-dl-only.html

I would read the wiki summary at the top of each thread, plus maybe the last few pages of each to get a feel for recent experiences, and try to figure out what will work best for your situation.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.

We all love American Express, but this year using airline fee credits became far more difficult.

Remember insurance company thinking: make it harder to make a claim reduces payouts. (e.g. to use my $200 credit for 1/2 of an AS lounge membership took two calls and counting.)

What strategies to people have for using their 2020 $200 credits?

Bonus points to help me: SFO-based AS MVP (will be 5k short, but hope to requalify next year), WN A-list and CP, UA Plat (will avoid going forward). I have LT AA, DL + UA lounge memberships.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I have a few weeks to choose between these three options:

Option 1: Instead of paying $175 to add my wife as an AU, I can use the $200 when flying Delta to pay for guest access to the Skyclub.

Option 2: Change to Alaska [my choice of airline where I don't hold status], so that if they have a better route/price this coming year I would get preferred seats and/or checked bags reimbursed.

Option 3: Select Southwest, and and buy some < $100 tickets (as of today still reimbursed, subject to change just like GCs were). If your plans change at least you get future flight credit.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
What strategies to people have for using their 2020 $200 credits?
Not all credits are $200.

I have a flight on Alaska in coach in February. Currently there are 5 window seats in what Alaska calls Premium Class (which is simply extra legroom section of coach), and is asking for a bit over $100 to upgrade to one of those seats. I definitely want to do that seat upgrade for an almost 6 hour flight, so I'm monitoring it daily, and if looks like all of those window seats won't sell out before 1 January, on 1 January I'll change my Gold card ($100 credit) airline to Alaska and then buy that seat upgrade.

Then in June I have an even longer flight in coach in two directions on United. While I can theoretically get E+ extra legroom seats for free on United at T-24 checkin time, I don't trust that the best E+ seats for such a long flight will still be available then. United wants a bit over $125 in each direction to upgrade to one of those seats. So in early 2020, I'll change my HH Aspire card ($250 credit) airline to United and then buy those seat upgrades.

Now, I don't always have seats like this to upgrade "just waiting". So just because I have these two seats upgrades plannee for early 2020, I don't know yet what I'll be able to a year from then when I need to do credits again in 2021.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just going to use the DL trick with a refundable fare then cancel it after credit posts.
bgriffin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:47 am

Totally bummed here....credit has basically become worthless. I may do Alaska and let wife use it to buy upgrades when available (that counts right ?)

Barring that, I guess its mileage multiplier
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:15 pm

I think the credit has become pretty useless. I always went the DL gift card route but even then for me redeeming and keeping track and actually using them became a chore. Maybe I'll use on AA for buying extra miles but since I don't really need small amounts of AA miles I'm not sure that's even worth it.
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It has me considering dropping my Platinum Card, although I doubt I will.
Old Dec 18, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, IC Plat Amb
is alaska not working anymore? last year i was able to get reimbursed for flights under 100 bucks, which happens often enough for one ways on the west coast
Old Dec 18, 19, 8:36 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

I have created a Wikipost with links to the threads where individual airline reimbursements are discussed. If you are not sure what works, or how to structure a transaction to work, for a specific airline please review the corresponding thread.
Kacee, Zorak and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Not all credits are $200.

I have a flight on Alaska in coach in February. Currently there are 5 window seats in what Alaska calls Premium Class (which is simply extra legroom section of coach), and is asking for a bit over $100 to upgrade to one of those seats. I definitely want to do that seat upgrade for an almost 6 hour flight, so I'm monitoring it daily, and if looks like all of those window seats won't sell out before 1 January, on 1 January I'll change my Gold card ($100 credit) airline to Alaska and then buy that seat upgrade.

Then in June I have an even longer flight in coach in two directions on United. While I can theoretically get E+ extra legroom seats for free on United at T-24 checkin time, I don't trust that the best E+ seats for such a long flight will still be available then. United wants a bit over $125 in each direction to upgrade to one of those seats. So in early 2020, I'll change my HH Aspire card ($250 credit) airline to United and then buy those seat upgrades.

Now, I don't always have seats like this to upgrade "just waiting". So just because I have these two seats upgrades plannee for early 2020, I don't know yet what I'll be able to a year from then when I need to do credits again in 2021.
Do they code as upgrades or seat selections with Alaska? My Delta seats coded as upgrades and did not count.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: