Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

(UK Amex) Why are Foreign Transaction Fees still a thing?

Old Dec 5, 19, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat

It seems like card holders over the pond have the majority of their cards with 0% transactions fees. I would use my Amex a hell of a lot more if we had the same benefit in the UK but alas, we don't. (And the 3% null and voids any value of the membership point).

With larger competition of 0%FX cards in the market, will there ever be an end to the 3% charge with Amex?
Old Dec 5, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
I fully agree, I've been mulling cancelling platinum over this myself, a travel card with 3% is nasty

I would think that its also that a lot of americans dont travel overseas, so its a nice 'extra perk' that never gets used.

One thing I havent checked is how good the rate is on 0% amex cards. Sure they dont charge a 3% fee, but if they give a horrific rate it could be just as bad
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:52 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
American Express offers in other markets are irrelevant. What UK-issued cards offer no foreign transaction fees -and- compelling rewards?
paperwastage likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I fully agree, I've been mulling cancelling platinum over this myself, a travel card with 3% is nasty

I would think that its also that a lot of americans dont travel overseas, so its a nice 'extra perk' that never gets used.

One thing I havent checked is how good the rate is on 0% amex cards. Sure they dont charge a 3% fee, but if they give a horrific rate it could be just as bad
Just for the record, I think you're equating travel patterns for Americans as a whole, with those who hold Platinum cards.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
American Express offers in other markets are irrelevant. What UK-issued cards offer no foreign transaction fees -and- compelling rewards?
This

I believe amex UK play had trip delay insurance, which is missing in the USA version (until Jan 2020 when it gets added)

Uk doesn't have any good no fx fee + good rewards card

Each country is different. Heck, there are some countries with credit card that offer more points on foreign spend versus domestic spend (no fx fee).
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
Literally any rewards visa or MasterCard with Curve will allow you to spend abroad with 0% FX and still get the rewards. I get your point though, the UK market doesn't need it. But once the whole Monzo etc card calms down and 0% becomes the norm, people will start to look for other benefits.
Old Dec 5, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: OZ, DL, AS, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
This

I believe amex UK play had trip delay insurance, which is missing in the USA version (until Jan 2020 when it gets added)

Uk doesn't have any good no fx fee + good rewards card

Each country is different. Heck, there are some countries with credit card that offer more points on foreign spend versus domestic spend (no fx fee).
Yea, I'm thinking Singapore and Malaysia.
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:21 am

For anything outside the UK I just use my Curve with virgin money+ card inside. For flights I use my US Amex.
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
When MBNA/EK decided to withdraw the AMEX/VISA cards from the UK market they sent me the MBNA VISA horizon card.
No annual fee
0.5% cashback on spend even overseas (this more than covers the 0.3% interchange fees for overseas transactions)
No forex fees.

In fact I have left it as my default card for UBER and have used it in 8 countries and the exchange rate is brilliant.

The only problem is that I do not know whether they have started offering it to new customers yet.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Dec 7, 19 at 10:21 pm
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I find Europeans in general (including those living in UK) are incredibly savvy and knowledgeable in avoiding transaction fees and they have multiple sources to transact in EU / CHF / USD etc. And there are others who don't even realise this is possible or don't care enough to actually take action

Search this Thread
Search Engine: