Mail offer for 2nd Biz Platinum Card

Old Dec 2, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Mail offer for 2nd Biz Platinum Card

Existing Business Platinum Card holder for years.
Over the past weekend received offer for "powering up" with a 2nd Business Platinum Card.
75k MR: 50k MR after $10k spend and extra 25k MR with additional $10k spend on new card all within first 3 months

Explicitly states earning double all the credits, offer good until 3/16/20. Absolutely no lifetime language in the terms.

Wondering if I pull trigger quickly, I could get Dell credit for second half of 2019... not sure about airline credits for 2019 (no real use for them in the next few weeks). Also wondering about WeWork Benefit... I'm using it a lot , but I believe expires for me in March... wondering if I could activate a second one on this in January/Feb when that deal ends...? If that the case, no brainer for me... any one have thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I think you would have a good shot at signing up for the Dell, Uber, and Airline credits by the end of the year. I dunno about WeWork.
Remember your airline credits shouldn't have to be with the same airline for both cards. Maybe Southwest is an option for you this time (See the thread for details, looks like $99 WGA fares for any friends or family or yourself may get reimbursed still, then if your plans change you can get a refund for flight credit)

I find it interesting, almost odd, that they're offering a second card. I say that because of the "Mass Shutdowns" thread where some affected cardholders have multiple of the same product family. I don't get the feeling you'd be in that case, so this is only an observation.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:01 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by levilevi View Post
Explicitly states earning double all the credits,....
What does this mean, exactly? Do they explicitly acknowledge that you already have the same card -or- do they explicitly suggest claiming credits in 2019 + 2020 -or- ?
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia View Post
What does this mean, exactly? Do they explicitly acknowledge that you already have the same card -or- do they explicitly suggest claiming credits in 2019 + 2020 -or- ?
I can't claim to know what they are "explicitly" claiming, since I haven't received the offer, but this topic came up on TPG:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-t...r-second-card/

and I don't think someone holding more than one of a business card is unprecedented, in any way. And if you legitimately obtain the card I don't see how you'd be denied all the benefits that go with said card.

What I think is different/surprising here is that Amex is explicitly offering the opportunity to obtain a second sign-up bonus on a second version of the same card someone is currently holding.

Not sure if that is unprecedented for Amex, but certainly in today's world one could say that its indeed rare...

Regards
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I think we have had isolated reports of targeted offers for duplicate cards, but not often enough to judge if these are an intentional marketing strategy or errors. In this example I am curious if the offer language acknowledges that levilevi is a current Business Platinum cardholder.
levilevi likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
I think we have had isolated reports of targeted offers for duplicate cards, but not often enough to judge if these are an intentional marketing strategy or errors. In this example I am curious if the offer language acknowledges that levilevi is a current Business Platinum cardholder.
Not sure if you followed the URL I included, but the photo of the mailer quite literally says, "BONUS OFFER: UP TO 75,000 MEMBERSHIP REWARD POINTS, With a 2nd Business Platinum Card from American Express" (emphasis added)

That language would seem to acknowledge that 1) the recipient is a current Business Platinum cardholder and 2) it's not an error.

Obviously, I don't know for certain that this is the same offer/language that levilevi received, but logic and timing would seem it dictate that is likely.

Regards
mia likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Same card... uses dollar values to show ($400 credits, 2mm points on purchases over 5k - vs 1mm max, 1mm MR reimbursed at 35% vs 500k), even goes so far to say not just for two separate businesses , given example of separate "projects"

Will post a picture of the mailer:

mia, wanaflyforless and Gasolin like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend just received the same offer - yes, it is called the 2nd card, obviously after the one the friend already owns.

Seems AMEX are falling short on meeting some marketing goals by year end... They need the numbers for their investors conference calls...
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Not sure if you followed the URL I included, but the photo of the mailer quite literally says, "BONUS OFFER: UP TO 75,000 MEMBERSHIP REWARD POINTS, With a 2nd Business Platinum Card from American Express" (emphasis added)

Obviously, I don't know for certain that this is the same offer/language that levilevi received, but logic and timing would seem it dictate that is likely.
Regards
The envelope in that link looked identical to mine... wording , everything..

Search this Thread