Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Green Card (USA) LoungeBuddy credit - how to best use it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Card (USA) LoungeBuddy credit - how to best use it

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Lightbulb Green Card (USA) LoungeBuddy credit - how to best use it

Hi all,
Given that the refreshed green card is now launched and we have $100 loungebuddy credit (whether we like it or not ). I wanted to see if there are some good suggestions / creative ways to utilize the credit. I have a green card that i had downgraded from platinum and now have $100 credit that needs to be spent by the end of the year.

Please post any suggestions here.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I don’t see a better way than to hold it in reserve until I’m at an airport where I have a long stay (due to irrops or a lousy schedule probably) and the lounges available to me are jammed, AND there is a pay lounge available through LoungeBuddy. You may hail me for my genius, since I’m sure nobody else thought of this! If it is because of schedule, some advance research on the LoungeBuddy app would probably help.

it hadn’t occurred to me to use the credit any other way, but I’m interested to see if sharper minds have something better I can steal.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Could see a couple of good uses.

1. You have a priority pass with 2 maximum guests but traveling with 3+ you could put the 3rd or 4th guest on loungebuddy $100 credit since the vast majority of lounges that participate in one program participate in the other.

2. Purchase access with loungebuddy when priority pass members are not being allowed inside because its too busy (this is theorizing not sure if it would work or not)

3. Get extra hour in a "minute suite", use your free hour with the priority pass, then get another hour for "free" by purchasing a $50 additional hour using the green card.

4. In theory: Get access to a lounge that only loungebuddy has access to and priority pass doesn't (although after a deep search I found plenty of lounges that are PP but not LB but absolutely zero that our lounge buddy but not priority pass, so this is totally in theory). Maybe in the future this will change as priority pass is old and established while lounge buddy is rapidly expanding and new.
arshi007 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by PointsPanda

4. In theory: Get access to a lounge that only loungebuddy has access to and priority pass doesn't (although after a deep search I found plenty of lounges that are PP but not LB but absolutely zero that our lounge buddy but not priority pass, so this is totally in theory). Maybe in the future this will change as priority pass is old and established while lounge buddy is rapidly expanding and new.
thats disturbing, as that was my plan. But I hadn’t done research as you did.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
It isn't a theory. There actually are lounges that are only on LoungeBuddy. One example: Lufthansa Business Lounge JFK T1
LoungeBuddy Lufthansa JFK T1 link
PointsPanda and arshi007 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by moe8555
It isn't a theory. There actually are lounges that are only on LoungeBuddy. One example: Lufthansa Business Lounge JFK T1
LoungeBuddy Lufthansa JFK T1 link
Well I guess there are always exceptions... but I was reading "LoungeBuddy customers are not permitted to enter the lounge after 2:00 PM." lmao not very useful.
arshi007 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Could see a couple of good uses.

1. You have a priority pass with 2 maximum guests but traveling with 3+ you could put the 3rd or 4th guest on loungebuddy $100 credit since the vast majority of lounges that participate in one program participate in the other.

2. Purchase access with loungebuddy when priority pass members are not being allowed inside because its too busy (this is theorizing not sure if it would work or not)

3. Get extra hour in a "minute suite", use your free hour with the priority pass, then get another hour for "free" by purchasing a $50 additional hour using the green card.

I certainly like #3 . I'm not sure #2 would work but that's worth trying. #1 is still mostly meaningless (unless you are a large family). For #4 , the only lounge i know are the Lufthansa Business lounges in Frankfurt and Munich (however personally i have access to the Lufthansa Senator lounge as *AG so no use for me personally.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
This way it does make it much easier to “gift” a lounge visit seeing that you don’t even need to be with the person to give them access.

Also, for those who don’t have plat but have priority pass, several airports have “Escape Lounges” which IMO are the most underrated domestic lounges. I’d put them above sky lounges and united club/admirals club (not Polaris/FF) in terms of quality of food/drink but definitely on par to better in terms of service. I happen to fly in a lot of smaller airports that have these gems

I.e. BDL Escape Lounge, small but if you ever fly into CT it’s a never crowded anyways and the hosts know me by name by now (BDL is my home airport). Other locations in MSP, OAK, and a few others. https://www.loungebuddy.com/lounges/dNsGXiogol

So definitely has some value to the right people
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:14 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Anybody found a way to purchase a LoungeBuddy gift certificate to trigger the benefit? Would love to be able to bank this year’s credit for use in 2020 since I have no travel before the end of December.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:53 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
The Wingtips Lounge at STL is not a part of Priority Pass so this is a great lounge to take advantage of the LoungeBuddy credit with. STL is now a focus city for Southwest, with a number of east coast to west coast flights stopping there.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ymx
Anybody found a way to purchase a LoungeBuddy gift certificate to trigger the benefit? Would love to be able to bank this year’s credit for use in 2020 since I have no travel before the end of December.
I would be very much interested in that too :-)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually wondering if it makes sense to request/create a wiki post (with this thread or some other appropriate thread) that gathers and lists lounges accessible thru LB but not PP. Would be useful long term.

Unless such list already exists somewhere ??
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The Plaza Premium First lounge in HKG would be a good use. With a Priority Pass card there is still a fee (I think $25 or $35). Through Lounge Buddy the fee is $89.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
I would be very much interested in that too :-)
It looks like the card is charged when the reservation is made. I have some travel at end of Jan where Lounge Buddy can be used, so I will try and book it now and hope the charge posts this year and I am credited them back. You can only book up to 2 months in advance though, so this is not really banking it too much.

Lounge Buddy does supposedly sell gift cards, but I see now way to get them via the app or website. Since Amex owns them I think this would be risky, with all the credit claw-backs, even if you got it to work.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by the188
It looks like the card is charged when the reservation is made. I have some travel at end of Jan where Lounge Buddy can be used, so I will try and book it now and hope the charge posts this year and I am credited them back. You can only book up to 2 months in advance though, so this is not really banking it too much.

Lounge Buddy does supposedly sell gift cards, but I see now way to get them via the app or website. Since Amex owns them I think this would be risky, with all the credit claw-backs, even if you got it to work.
any updates on this? success? i believe the charge has to post in the correct year. meaning, you cant charge on 12/31 and post the next year for prior year credit. but let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.