Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton Aspire Diamond Status - how long does it last after downgrade

Hilton Aspire Diamond Status - how long does it last after downgrade

Old Nov 9, 19, 6:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco & London
Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Posts: 1,473
Hilton Aspire Diamond Status - how long does it last after downgrade

I have the Hilton Aspire credit card that comes with Diamond status.

I very rarely stay with Hilton now therefore will be downgrading or closing my card.

How long after downgrading does the downgrade from Diamond status take place?

is it the next month or based on annual status, for example status will stay valid till Feb 2020 should I cancel in Nov.
navatwal is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 787
I canceled my Hilton Aspire card last week (waited til the last day possible before the fee was due) and as of today I am still Diamond in Hilton's site. I know this isn't saying much but I'll check periodically and report when it removes.
jiaogulan is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 4:58 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco & London
Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Posts: 1,473
Thank you for the update, I look forward to hearing back
navatwal is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:53 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: Kettle Class
Posts: 553
It's been ~90 days since I downgraded my Aspire to the Surpass. My Diamond status remains active (I haven't qualified otherwise on stays or spend), I anticipate it will continue to stick until the start of the 2020 qualification year.
miasmal likes this.
progapanda is offline  
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:04 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,360
Originally Posted by progapanda View Post
It's been ~90 days since I downgraded my Aspire to the Surpass. My Diamond status remains active (I haven't qualified otherwise on stays or spend), I anticipate it will continue to stick until the start of the 2020 qualification year.
Yes, that has been my experience as well.
iahphx is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:53 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,999
I hear that Hilton is extending current status until March 2022. Does that mean if I cancel my Aspire card on April 1 that I'll keep Diamond status until March 2022?
jphripjah is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 3:05 pm
  #7  
DC9
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
I hear that Hilton is extending current status until March 2022. Does that mean if I cancel my Aspire card on April 1 that I'll keep Diamond status until March 2022?
I would have thought that maintaining your HHonors diamond status was based upon holding the Aspire card. There would probably be some delay, but two years would be very optimistic.
Yoshi212 likes this.
DC9 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 8:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 156
So I had a surpass, then when covid just was starting in March (starting to ramp up...) I upgraded to Aspire. About 2 weeks ago I changed, my mind, went back to the Surpass. During this time period, they did the whole we are extending status to 2022. I still have diamond on the website 2 weeks later.....so yeah lets hope it gets extended and doesn't change back. That would be amazing if that happens. Unless people start abusing this and downgrading to keep status and the RATS come back and change things.
geoff325 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 7:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CLT
Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Posts: 4,205
Speculation and only speculation, Hilton does not want any of the headache that would come with booting Aspire Diamonds out nor wants to do any of the leg work in making that determination. Also, cannot believe for a second that Aspire Diamond population is that voluminous in first place (though my assumption could be dead wrong on that). Hence, I think that if people wanted to, you could downgrade and go back to full card when time comes, but only a guess.

Safe Travels
GTITAN is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Posts: 820
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
Speculation and only speculation, Hilton does not want any of the headache that would come with booting Aspire Diamonds out nor wants to do any of the leg work in making that determination. Also, cannot believe for a second that Aspire Diamond population is that voluminous in first place (though my assumption could be dead wrong on that). Hence, I think that if people wanted to, you could downgrade and go back to full card when time comes, but only a guess.

Safe Travels
I downgraded a couple of days ago to the free card per the Amex rep's recommendation of doing just that and upgrading back when the time is right (no retention offers available). As of now, still Diamond.
GTITAN likes this.
moe8555 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:25 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,999
Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
I downgraded a couple of days ago to the free card per the Amex rep's recommendation of doing just that and upgrading back when the time is right (no retention offers available). As of now, still Diamond.
Did the rep say if you canceled that you'd keep the Diamond status until March 2022 ?
jphripjah is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:34 pm
  #12  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 40,661
Originally Posted by DC9 View Post
I would have thought that maintaining your HHonors diamond status was based upon holding the Aspire card..
That's what it says in the terms:

Hilton Honors Complimentary Diamond Status
You will receive complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. Complimentary Diamond status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member. If your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status provided with the Card will be cancelled. American Express reserves the right to change, modify or revoke complimentary Diamond status at any time. If your complimentary Diamond status is cancelled, you may be able to maintain your Diamond status by qualifying under the Hilton Honors Program terms. Diamond status benefits are subject to availability and vary by hotel. For more information on Diamond status benefits or how to maintain Diamond status each year with qualifying stays, nights or Hilton Honors Base Points through the Hilton Honors Program, and for complete Terms and Conditions, visit HiltonHonors.com/MemberBenefits.
However, American Express practice frequently differs from published policy, and a downgrade may not be detected as a cancelation by the automated systems. I do not think there would be grounds to complain if the status were revoked, but it sounds as if there is a good chance that Hilton will be liberal while their properties are empty.
GTITAN likes this.
mia is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Posts: 820
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Did the rep say if you canceled that you'd keep the Diamond status until March 2022 ?
No, and I didn't ask since I will most likely upgrade back anyway when the time is right...
moe8555 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 4:01 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,434
I canceled my Aspire earlier this month (before the automatic status extension was announced), so it'll be interesting to see if I wind up getting extended to 2022.
gengar is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SFO
Programs: Free agent
Posts: 29
I canceled my Aspire way back in June 2019 and somehow I'm still listed as Diamond when I log into Hilton's website. 🤷‍♂️
mia and GTITAN like this.
muaddib89 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: