Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think something possible would be something like

$999 Membership Fee

5x Airfare, Hotels
2x Gas & Groceries no limit
2x Restaurants
$250 Airline Credit
$250 Saks Credit
$250 Uber Credit
$250 Hotel Credit
Hilton Diamond
Marriott Platinum
Delta Silver (at most)

Or something to this effect. Sort of a “platinum card on steroids” would be my imagination as to what is viable. I think the card will either be just sub $1000 or perhaps $1250 or $1500. I doubt they go any higher with the AF than that. I’d also be surprised for there to be an initiation fee.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by cfabar1

$999 Membership Fee

5x Airfare, Hotels
2x Restaurants
$250 Airline Credit
$250 Saks Credit
$250 Uber Credit
$250 Hotel Credit
Hilton Diamond
Marriott Platinum
Delta Silver (at most)

Or something to this effect. Sort of a “platinum card on steroids” would be my imagination as to what is viable. I think the card will either be just sub $1000 or perhaps $1250 or $1500. I doubt they go any higher with the AF than that. I’d also be surprised for there to be an initiation fee.
Maybe 1500 for an AF; I'd want to be targeting the heavy road warriors and luxury traveler. I would want to see inflight WiFi, get rid of the vanilla plats in the Cent lounges... only this and Cent would get in that would solve the crowding issue.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:18 am

$999 Membership Fee

5x Airfare, Hotels
2x Restaurants
$250 Airline Credit
$250 Saks Credit
$250 Uber Credit
$250 Hotel Credit
Hilton Diamond
Marriott Platinum
Delta Silver (at most)

You don’t even get Marriott Platinum with the Centurion card. And getting the full fee back in credits on a super-Platinum card is pretty unlikely unless a lot more than half of it is financed by third parties.
cuthroat and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:31 am

$999 Membership Fee

5x Airfare, Hotels
2x Restaurants
$250 Airline Credit
$250 Saks Credit
$250 Uber Credit
$250 Hotel Credit
Hilton Diamond
Marriott Platinum
Delta Silver (at most)

At least Delta Gold I should think.

I'd rather drop the Saks credit (and possibly other credits) in favor of higher elite status with hotels and airlines. AmEx is unlikely to be able to offer Marriott Platinum, given that Cent's don't even get that, as was pointed out. But perhaps they could add status in more programs. Hyatt? And let's not forget to retain IHG Platinum which is useful. I also get good use out of Hertz Platinum, although a lower card would probably not offer it. I also don't want to lose Priority Pass.

Someone here or in another thread suggested that members get to pick and choose benefits, like Delta elites who can select from among a menu of options. I like that idea which would be a way for AmEx to keep the fee reasonable if every card holder did not sign up for every perk. I also wish the Uber credit were not restricted to month-by-month. I only take Uber a few times a year, but usually concentrated in a month or two with multiple rides exceeding the monthly credit. Then the unused credit for 9 or 10 months just expires (which I'm sure AmEx counts on).
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SusanDK
At least Delta Gold I should think.

I'd rather drop the Saks credit (and possibly other credits) in favor of higher elite status with hotels and airlines. AmEx is unlikely to be able to offer Marriott Platinum, given that Cent's don't even get that, as was pointed out. But perhaps they could add status in more programs. Hyatt? And let's not forget to retain IHG Platinum which is useful. I also get good use out of Hertz Platinum, although a lower card would probably not offer it. I also don't want to lose Priority Pass.

Someone here or in another thread suggested that members get to pick and choose benefits, like Delta elites who can select from among a menu of options. I like that idea which would be a way for AmEx to keep the fee reasonable if every card holder did not sign up for every perk. I also wish the Uber credit were not restricted to month-by-month. I only take Uber a few times a year, but usually concentrated in a month or two with multiple rides exceeding the monthly credit. Then the unused credit for 9 or 10 months just expires (which I'm sure AmEx counts on).
If you have friends or family in the US, you can use the Uber credit for them even as it would require coordination from afar. I mostly don’t use my Uber credits from Amex, but I have considered how it can be used remotely for family/friends/others. I mostly have no need for Amex’s airline credit either. The only real Amex Platinum benefits for me that I frequently use in full (at least as I see it): the lounge access and some other at-airport benefits. Any cutbacks on lounge access for the Plat card, and I become more likely to ditch the Amex Plat cards and pony up for more CSR cards.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:53 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by hhdl
I think such a new card will be like a combination of Plat/Brilliant/Aspire with a touch of Green, with the credits structured to increase breakage.

$1650 AF (3x Plat, 1/3 Centurion... Makes geometric sense)
Same Uber credit as Platinum
6x on travel (amextravel and direct with airlines)
3x on transit/taxis/rideshare
2x on Hilton/Marriott direct
Bonus 1x on Delta
$100 quarterly airline fee credit
$50 quarterly Saks credit
$100 CLEAR credit
FHR benefit
Lounge access with guests (lower cards lose guest access)
$75 quarterly Starriott credit
Bonvoy Gold (Titanium after $25k)
$100 Ritz/St. Regis credit
Hilton Diamond
$125/6 months Hilton resort credit
$100 Waldorf/Conrad credit
Ability to redeem 10k MR for 1k Delta MQDs

Maybe "Platinum Preferred"?

Doubtful that Brilliant or Aspire holders would move to this (the hotel benefits are a bit watered down). Might complement the DL Reserve (MQMs from Reserve, MQDs by MR). Definitely beats Plat+Reserve+Aspire+Brilliant, but you'd still want a restaurant card.
This is asking a lot...
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Any news on the Optio card?
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Any news on the Optio card?
That card is real? Hah... well, it would be interesting to get it, depending on how much the AU is.
I never get invited in those stuff so not getting my hopes high .
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:00 pm

I haven’t heard anything. I wish I would seen. Would like to upgrade!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jags86
I guarantee you those friends of yours are wealthy by any and all standards. Upper middle class doesn’t start at the top 1% or 0.5% of income earners. About $400k yearly income puts you in the top 1% of income earners in the United States.

I will give you thought that there is quite a gulf between top 1% and top 0.1%.
earnings dont make you wealthy, they make you rich.

wealth is accrued through saving / investing the riches.
GTITAN and Gasolin like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:58 pm

To me, these cards are going to have more to do with differentiated experiences.

Platinum - Travel Heavy Users
Gold - Rewards heavy users
Green - “buying into the system” users/aspirational users

Is there a card above Platinum that can help meet the needs of Travel & Rewards Heavy Users. If there is, it will be expensive.

Currently are users able to purchase a Platinum and Gold Charge Card (not as an AU but as a distinct card)? If so, no way this card is under $750 per year!

Realistically give the Gold Earnings, the Platinum Perks and one or at most two more “killer benefit” for either $950 or $1450 and I think you will fill the void for the truly niche market this would serve.

I wonder what type of monthly spend they would imagine is necessary for this type of card member to be successful on their end. 5k? 7.5k? 10k? What would that realistically look like in differentiation to a Platinum or Gold user?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
To me, these cards are going to have more to do with differentiated experiences.

Platinum - Travel Heavy Users
Gold - Rewards heavy users
Green - “buying into the system” users/aspirational users

Is there a card above Platinum that can help meet the needs of Travel & Rewards Heavy Users. If there is, it will be expensive.

Currently are users able to purchase a Platinum and Gold Charge Card (not as an AU but as a distinct card)? If so, no way this card is under $750 per year!

Realistically give the Gold Earnings, the Platinum Perks and one or at most two more “killer benefit” for either $950 or $1450 and I think you will fill the void for the truly niche market this would serve.

I wonder what type of monthly spend they would imagine is necessary for this type of card member to be successful on their end. 5k? 7.5k? 10k? What would that realistically look like in differentiation to a Platinum or Gold user?
I have the Amex Gld, Plat, BBP and Amex HH Aspire Were I going to get a "super card" it would need to give me something that would replace these cards or something so tempting I could not turn away. In my case, I don't keep any of them for "status sake" (i.e. see my wallet candy but rather there is a value proposition in them for me). Everyone values monies differently. I fly a good deal, shop at the grocery store a lot, have figured out how to leverage Aspire and cannot stand the idea of paying for my phone bill (for instance) without making money on that expenditure (in all instances other than straight cash back). To get me to jump in, one would have to convince me that a majority of those activities referenced would be achieved as in the ecosystem now (which I am not super convinced about). Having rambled, doubt I am the target demographic!

Safe Travels
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Any further development/speculation on this?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Looks like a reality and I do hope Coronavirus won't derail Amex's launch plan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/amex/commen..._titanium_and/

GTITAN, Statman, 355F1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:14 pm

Doesn't this imply that the card is already in manufacturing? Seems like this might launch soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.