Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by llngoc
I wonder the same too. When I was in Hong Kong Centurion lounge, I noticed that there are many people with Black card who were accessing the black card section of the lounge. I am aware that HK has a lot of high earners but somehow it gave me an impression that the Black Card requirement differs from country to country.

BTW, AMEX must have been pushing the Platinum card really hard in Asia too, the Centurion lounge was completely packed.
Your first paragraph displays extreme selection bias. By definition everyone entering the area reserved for Centurion card members was a Centurion cardholder!

But yes, Platinum has recently been heavily promoted around the world.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Agreed, except this is about a super-premium card, not what they would do with existing Platinums. Reimbursing a United 1K for the club might pull $20k in PQP spending away from Chase.
When Plat/Centurion cards were good for multiple (but never all USA legacy carriers AFAIK) airline lounges, I always assumed that AmEx paid an entry fee (something like PP) but that it was greatly reduced because giving AmEx top customers lounge access encouraged them to use the airline.

Originally Posted by synzero
Everything I have read suggests the Centurion card is far easier to get in Europe than here.
When Plat was invitation only, the standards appeared to depend greatly on the region. In fact, way back, it was extremely hard for someone living outside of the USA (and a couple other countries) to get even the green card. Gold also was country dependent because of the credit line backed by a local bank.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I know that Amex doesn’t know anything about my income or assets.
While you may not have given them this information, they have purchased it from agencies which are similar to, but distinct from, credit reporting agencies. I expect there are some EU/USA differences in this regard, but I daresay information is still available.

Originally Posted by llngoc
I....impression that the Black Card requirement differs from country to country.
American Express' market position is different in various countries, and the standards reflect this.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
While you may not have given them this information, they have purchased it from agencies which are similar to, but distinct from, credit reporting agencies. I expect there are some EU/USA differences in this regard, but I daresay information is still available.
Haha, I’ll leave it at no comment!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Haha, I’ll leave it at no comment!
Given Amex is in the business of trying to comply with KYC and AML requirements for personal card accounts opened everywhere Amex opens retail personal accounts, I would say that at some point Amex would have put down something about income/assets for an account or that the account would potentially be subject to shut down. If you’re just an AU on an account where someone else’s name is noted as the primary, then Amex may indeed have little to no clue about the income/assets of you as an AU card holder.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
What agencies in the US aggregate asset information, and are brokerage firms like Vanguard, Fidelity, E*Trade etc. required or allowed to report their customers’ account balances or holdings on a regular basis? Or is this data “passed along” from mortgage issuers who may receive account statements in exchange for loans?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What agencies in the US aggregate asset information....
Have look at this thread from some years ago:

Acxiom: an opportunity to see some of the data used to target USA credit card offers.

See also this recent article which is tangentially related:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/b...re-access.html

Consider also that real estate transactions, including prices, and automobile registrations are often public records.

When reading about these sources it is difficult not to focus on how accurate or inaccurate MY information is, but card issuers are mass marketers. They do not particularly care if the information they buy about me is accurate, only if it is typically accurate enough for their purposes.
notquiteaff and Gasolin like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given Amex is in the business of trying to comply with KYC and AML requirements for personal card accounts opened everywhere Amex opens retail personal accounts, I would say that at some point Amex would have put down something about income/assets for an account or that the account would potentially be subject to shut down. If you’re just an AU on an account where someone else’s name is noted as the primary, then Amex may indeed have little to no clue about the income/assets of you as an AU card holder.
I’m the account owner, the last time Amex asked me about income, employment, etc, was 20 years and two countries ago.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I’m the account owner, the last time Amex asked me about income, employment, etc, was 20 years and two countries ago.
Not unusual for Amex to have outdated info for people who did a global card relationship type transfer with Amex, no less so if having done it years ago and repeatedly at that.

I do wonder what Amex will do with fees in various other countries for the premium Amex cards, as in some cases they have already hiked up the fees rather substantially within the past few years and absorptive capacity for big fee increases aren’t the same everywhere where Amex has local, de novo Platinum and Centurion card account owners. And that’s a small part of why I expect that any Amex product placed between Platinum and Centurion card types would come first to the US and may not really spread that much internationally anytime very soon too all the markets where Amex currently opens Platinum accounts and has Centurion members too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:07 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
What about:

$2,500 initiation fee
$1,000 annual fee
$300 travel credit
CLEAR membership
Delta Gold
Delta SkyClub access with 1 guest
Marriott Gold
Hilton Gold
5x points on airfare
3x points on dining and travel
2x points on grocery
1.5 points on non-bonus spending
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
What about:

$2,500 initiation fee
I lost interested at that point
cuthroat, IndyHoosier and Drewm33 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
What about:

$2,500 initiation fee
$1,000 annual fee
$300 travel credit
CLEAR membership
Delta Gold
Marriott Gold
Hilton Gold
5x points on airfare
2x points on grocery
2500 for that is too much for me for as suggested on initial buy in for this. If Plat is 550, Green is 150 and Green is 250 I would pay 950 if they bundled all of the Plat, Green and Gold as currently constituted into 1 card or 1045 if they threw in the 1.5 for every day preferred (even if a 30 swipe minimum). I don't fly DL and not likely to being based in CLT, so the DL benefits would not be enticing. YMMV but love the creativity of this thread!!!!!

Safe Travels
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:20 pm

1000 AF is acceptable, but $2500 initiation fee...

I'm also expecting more than Marriott Gold and Hilton Gold for the $1K AF.

What about:

$2,500 initiation fee
$1,000 annual fee
$300 travel credit
CLEAR membership
Delta Gold
Marriott Gold
Hilton Gold
5x points on airfare
2x points on grocery
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Qualified purchases that count towards personal centurion includes all personal american express cards right?
I have Bonvoy AMEX and Platinum, and spend significant amount on both...
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by Sing Szeto
1000 AF is acceptable, but $2500 initiation fee...

I'm also expecting more than Marriott Gold and Hilton Gold for the $1K AF.
You can get Amex Hilton Aspire for $450 AF and get Hilton Diamond. For $1k I'd expect Diamond to start off.
cuthroat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.