Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Amex notify you when you've used up your grocery benefit with EDP?

Old Nov 5, 19, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards

According to my calculations, I'm just barely past the $6000 limit for groceries getting 3x MR points (4.5x when over 30 transactions). Does Amex notify the user when they're over the limit, and will then be only getting 1x until the end of the calendar year?

I assume not, but this is my first full calendar year with the card, so I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Old Nov 5, 19, 6:51 pm

They will not notify you when you go past the annual cap on any card. In my experiences with other flavors of AmEx, the actual cap was always less than the amount I would get from the website under "Spending year to date". My best guess for that discrepancy is that the bonuses and some credits are subtracted from the cap. The explanation from an AmEx agent was that the "Sum" on the website is incorrect or not up to date -- and I do not believe that was the case.
surfmonkey89 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
I just noticed that when I checked the latest cleared grocery transaction in the app, it's marked at 3x points. Unless that's in error, I guess it's safe to assume that I'm still under the limit.
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89 View Post
I just noticed that when I checked the latest cleared grocery transaction in the app, it's marked at 3x points. Unless that's in error, I guess it's safe to assume that I'm still under the limit.
The marking of "3X" on EDP or "4X" on Gold is apparently just an indication of a Bonus Category. It is NOT the amount of points you have actually received.

If you want to preview your MR or cashback before the statement is out, go to your account online, then "Statements & Activity" menu, then "Preview New Version". If you then click on a purchase that's 5+ days old, you'll see the expected point earnings.

Last edited by MaxVO; Nov 6, 19 at 2:42 am
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
The marking of "3X" on EDP or "4X" on Gold is apparently just an indication of a Bonus Category. It is NOT the amount of points you have actually received.

If you want to preview your MR or cashback before the statement is out, go to your account online, then "Statements & Activity" menu, then "Preview New Version". If you then click on a purchase that's 5+ days old, you'll see the expected point earnings.
I couldn't find the "Preview New Version" option but did find a way to get your YTD grocery purchases. Go to statements & activity, change recent activity to YTD date range, click on merchandise and supplies. It will then show the YTD grocery purchases.

This lets you know how much you have left rather than if you are over/under.

Search this Thread