FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Does Amex notify you when you've used up your grocery benefit with EDP? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1994253-does-amex-notify-you-when-youve-used-up-your-grocery-benefit-edp.html)

surfmonkey89 Nov 5, 2019 5:23 pm

Does Amex notify you when you've used up your grocery benefit with EDP?

According to my calculations, I'm just barely past the $6000 limit for groceries getting 3x MR points (4.5x when over 30 transactions). Does Amex notify the user when they're over the limit, and will then be only getting 1x until the end of the calendar year?

I assume not, but this is my first full calendar year with the card, so I thought I'd ask to be sure.

MaxVO Nov 5, 2019 5:51 pm

They will not notify you when you go past the annual cap on any card. In my experiences with other flavors of AmEx, the actual cap was always less than the amount I would get from the website under "Spending year to date". My best guess for that discrepancy is that the bonuses and some credits are subtracted from the cap. The explanation from an AmEx agent was that the "Sum" on the website is incorrect or not up to date -- and I do not believe that was the case.

surfmonkey89 Nov 5, 2019 6:16 pm

I just noticed that when I checked the latest cleared grocery transaction in the app, it's marked at 3x points. Unless that's in error, I guess it's safe to assume that I'm still under the limit.

MaxVO Nov 5, 2019 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89 (Post 31705706)
I just noticed that when I checked the latest cleared grocery transaction in the app, it's marked at 3x points. Unless that's in error, I guess it's safe to assume that I'm still under the limit.

The marking of "3X" on EDP or "4X" on Gold is apparently just an indication of a Bonus Category. It is NOT the amount of points you have actually received.

If you want to preview your MR or cashback before the statement is out, go to your account online, then "Statements & Activity" menu, then "Preview New Version". If you then click on a purchase that's 5+ days old, you'll see the expected point earnings.

AFAM-DFW Nov 6, 2019 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31705769)
The marking of "3X" on EDP or "4X" on Gold is apparently just an indication of a Bonus Category. It is NOT the amount of points you have actually received.

If you want to preview your MR or cashback before the statement is out, go to your account online, then "Statements & Activity" menu, then "Preview New Version". If you then click on a purchase that's 5+ days old, you'll see the expected point earnings.

I couldn't find the "Preview New Version" option but did find a way to get your YTD grocery purchases. Go to statements & activity, change recent activity to YTD date range, click on merchandise and supplies. It will then show the YTD grocery purchases.

This lets you know how much you have left rather than if you are over/under.