Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Black Cards Rare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Various
Rare? Yes in terms of ratios now, as the Platinum carrying base has exploded. Platinum was invite only (in the UK at least) for a long time (even after Centurion launched in March 99 - UK was first market ahead of US which was Oct 99). Nowadays you only have to see how busy the Centurion Lounges are, and you can see the reach/range. At my local Centurion Lounge, they gave me an overview of numbers and the ratios vary day to day, but it is usually in the hundreds to one.

In terms of only an idiot would use Centurion every day - that could be fair for the US as the earning rates are lower than other cards (though you can watch the offers page as there are regularly bonus points per $ spent at key retailers that are aiming for Centurion spend). In other markets like the UK, Centurion was always entitled to any offer that was available to the other charge cards in the product family; so it was always my daily use card.

Here in the US, that's not the case so I end up with 2 AmEx cards - I use my Centurion for many things, but certain categories of spend go on the other card. It still baffles me why the US market for Centurion charges for any type of additional card, which is in stark contrast to every other market. One of the reasons why I still keep my UK account, as it's more cost effective to get the benefits from that account that US doesn't offer, and for added bonus I get the additional Centurion card for my wife, and 4 Platinum's for my family (for less than the cost of 1 additional Centurion card in the US).
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

He is wealthy, was CEO of some major hotel chains, and sits on a handful of for-profit Boards. He is the kind of guy that is greeted at the jet bridge and taken to a car at the bottom of the stairway. He use to sit on Caesar's Board and when he took us to Las Vegas for a long weekend.... I almost expected rose petals to be strewn in his pathway... he was royalty where ever we went. ( It was so much fun!)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by RichardMannion

One of the reasons why I still keep my UK account, as it's more cost effective to get the benefits from that account that US doesn't offer, and for added bonus I get the additional Centurion card for my wife, and 4 Platinum's for my family (for less than the cost of 1 additional Centurion card in the US).
Richard, were you able to keep your UK account with a US address, or do you retain an address in the UK? I'm asking because I will shortly be giving up my address in Denmark on which my UK-issued Platinum IDC is based. I've heard from others that their IDC was cancelled when they tried to file a U.S. change of address on the account. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep it, but the travel/medical insurance and rental car coverage is superior to the U.S. card, plus we get the additional cards free and two Priority Passes (not 'Select'), etc.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Richard, were you able to keep your UK account with a US address, or do you retain an address in the UK? I'm asking because I will shortly be giving up my address in Denmark on which my UK-issued Platinum IDC is based. I've heard from others that their IDC was cancelled when they tried to file a U.S. change of address on the account. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep it, but the travel/medical insurance and rental car coverage is superior to the U.S. card, plus we get the additional cards free and two Priority Passes (not 'Select'), etc.
I can answer that in part for you (though not specifically for the IDC). I have had Amex accounts in three countries, and Amex has told me each time that I simply needed a correspondence address (not necessarily a residential address) in the relevant country. Thus, when I asked Amex to issue me a German card while still living in the UK, they required a local address. Now that I live in Germany, I keep my UK account open with a UK address. Since I have turned off all paper mailings, and pay online, it is really quite easy to manage.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Thank you! I also pay online with my IDC, but AmEx IDC still sends me monthly statements in the post that I haven't figured out how to turn off. I need to log in and look again.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you! I also pay online with my IDC, but AmEx IDC still sends me monthly statements in the post that I haven't figured out how to turn off. I need to log in and look again.
Again, I can't speak for the IDC, but the website lets you turn off printed statements. My only concern going forward is if you need a local mobile phone number for two-factor authentication.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....heard from others that their IDC was cancelled when they tried to file a U.S. change of address on the account. .....
My understanding is that this restriction is specific to the International Dollar/Euro cards which are not available to residents of certain countries, including the USA. UK-issued Sterling cards would not necessarily have the same rules.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When it's time to get a new card, this is normally mailed to you, although replacements for lost/stolen/compromised cards can be sent to overseas hotels, at least for USA cards.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Various
Both my UK and US accounts, have my US address as the primary residence.

Per the other responses, I think AmEx went hardcore on IDC accounts recently. When I had an IDC Centurion for a short while, I did have to use my UK residence as the place of contact, but with my US address as a backup for verification.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:18 pm

Thanks! Trying to decide if I should try to keep it or give it up and save the $550 annual fee.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorn_
They're rare in the sense that it's a terrible card for any type of daily spend, so the only person who would get it is someone who is stupidly rich and finds value in the 'exclusivity' of paying with the Amex Centurion card. There are plenty of people with the level of spend to be able to qualify for this card who would not take it, because almost literally any other rewards card offers better rewards than this one.
The Platinum card is almost as bad, and WAS just as bad with the rewards, before they introduced the 5x MR points on airfare booked directly with airlines. But nobody got the Platinum card for its rewards, it was always about whether you can use its benefits enough to make up for the cost of the AF. The Centurion card is the same. I've literally never spent a dollar on my Platinum card that didn't fall into one of these categories:
(1) Airfare directly purchased from airlines
(2) Something that triggers an Amex offer
(3) A merchant that only takes Amex and no other credit cards
(4) A merchant made me angry and I deliberately paid with the Amex so they'd have to pay higher interchange fees (example: Navy Pier in Chicago, which charged me $25 (?!?!?) to park for 40 minutes)

There's a lot of benefits on the Centurion, and depending on one's travel patterns, it's definitely possible to make that card worthwhile.

Last edited by STS-134; Nov 8, 2019 at 9:50 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by STS-134
The Platinum card is almost as bad, and WAS just as bad with the rewards, before they introduced the 5x MR points on airfare booked directly with airlines. But nobody got the Platinum card for its rewards, it was always about whether you can use its benefits enough to make up for the cost of the AF. The Centurion card is the same. I've literally never spent a dollar on my Platinum card that didn't fall into one of three categories:
(1) Airfare directly purchased from airlines
(2) Something that triggers an Amex offer
(3) A merchant that only takes Amex and no other credit cards
(4) A merchant made me angry and I deliberately paid with the Amex so they'd have to pay higher interchanges fees (example: Navy Pier in Chicago, which charged me $25 (?!?!?) to park for 40 minutes)

There's a lot of benefits on the Centurion, and depending on one's travel patterns, it's definitely possible to make that card worthwhile.
Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done #4 . I've also done it when I see Amex signs on the door (planning to use my Everyday) but they push very hard on Visa. Then it's still Amex, but now it's the Platinum.

I have also used my Amex card for the 0% FTF overseas, even though my Visa has the same perk.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Using AmEx overseas can be a way to make sure that the merchant doesn't do dynamic currency conversion.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Don’t think they are that rare. Just go out on a Friday / Saturday night in Soho / West end theatre district in London and you will bound to catch someone paying with it
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by mia
Centurion is the formal name of the American Express product often called the black card.

Until 2017 the USA version of International Airline Program was primarily a "companion" ticket benefit, which did not offer much to solo flyers.

In which country is his card issued?
I did not apply for the Platinum until I found that the companion ticket program was changed to IAP. The companion program was pretty much useless even when you are travelling with someone as you need to buy a full price biz class ticket in order to use it. (Which is always >2x a discounted biz ticket)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.