Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
We’re sending a newly designed titanium Card enabled for contactless payments to the address below. Please confirm your new Card when it arrives in the next few weeks. As a security measure, your current Card will be deactivated in approximately 2 months.
Just got this email. It claims that the new card will be made of titanium and confirms that it will be enabled for conactless payments.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:18 pm

Are people paying $5000/year as fees????
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by malgudi
Are people paying $5000/year as fees????
Yes, when including authorized user card fees. Next year, a lot more people will be paying $5000/year as a card fee even without authorized user card fees.

Amex is all about racking up its fee revenue because its other avenues of making money aren’t as much under its control. And this is a sign of the times.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:57 pm

Well this was a short-lived joy. I went out for the evening after posting at the beginning of the thread, and came home to find the news about the fee increasing to $5,000. Damn. It's going to make the renewal question so much more difficult. Luckily, my renewal is in February so I'll have one more year at $2,500 before having to make a decision.

Equinox sounded good until I checked the locations and realized I would rarely use it. Saks sounded good if it had been an extra perk added at the current fee.

Still get value from Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum and Delta Platinum but not enough to justify the increase in the fee.

It would help if we could get one AU for the increased fee. As it is, we even have to pay for our AU to have Gold or Platinum on top of the $2500 fee.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by phant0m
I never understood contactless when you have all of the pay methods. Is it just so the credit issuer can avoid paying fees to Apple/Samsung/Google?
I’m guessing it’s fee-related and data-related, as transaction data is valuable too.

Also, there are markets where contactless card processors were set up for contactless card processing before ApplePay/SamsungPay/GooglePay become as common and popular as now and the regulators may not have been so quick to make allowances for payment means that could facilitate money-laundering.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 31, 2019 at 7:02 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:31 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sdix
--------------------
Experience a more personalized servicing approach with a dedicated team of experts that will help manage your Membership. We can't wait to show you what's to come by your account renewal, on or after April 1, 2020

-----------------------

April fools day? Really?
😆
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I’m guessing it’s fee-related and data-related, as transaction data is valuable too.
Which data are not transmitted to Amex using Apple Pay? I see all the usual information on my statement, regardless of how I pay.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It just hit me. Could today be the 20th anniversary of the Centurion launch? I seem to remember getting the card sometime in 1999.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
It just hit me. Could today be the 20th anniversary of the Centurion launch? I seem to remember getting the card sometime in 1999.
Yeah, I got mine early 1999
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Fee increase.
The mother of all fee increases.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by sdix
Yeah, I got mine early 1999
Me too. 20 years with this card and this will be my last year. $1000 then $2500 and now $5000. Can't justify if. If it was like Germany with you and a AU for $5k then sure, same net spend. But $10k for two of us? Can't do it.

I still have >1MM points I need to send somewhere.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Me too. 20 years with this card and this will be my last year. $1000 then $2500 and now $5000. Can't justify if. If it was like Germany with you and a AU for $5k then sure, same net spend. But $10k for two of us? Can't do it.

I still have >1MM points I need to send somewhere.
I wonder if they'll offer a retention bonus. Don't forget you can just get a "measley" Platinum card for $550, keep the lounges you're used to, earn 5x on flights, other perks, and not worry about your 1MM points.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I missed it upthread, but is the $5,000 for a second user confirmed? If so, wow, that is high.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much do you need to spend to qualify for this thing? It seems they have done some analysis and figured that people who spend enough won’t care about another $2500. Interesting to see if this is accepted by most of their customers or not.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:21 am

Some of the legacy holders probably won't qualify for this card under current standard. Amex probably don't really care about those old folks who got the card while it was much easier. These days you don't even get invited when spending 1-2 millions. In my industry, it`s very easily to spend 1-2M per year on credit/charge card but not many of them getting invited. There will always be more demand than supply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.