Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Uber also has higher end transport options than just the discount ride of the sort you mention above.

Also, I don’t know about you but I know that there are times where a taxi or Uber are what I need and want and the alternatives aren’t all that better .... whether or not it means a six-years old Camry that smells like McDonald’s food.
I know there are higher end options, and Uber is indeed a convenient and generally reliable. I just wonder where the brand parallel lies. Perhaps there simply isn’t a national limousine service with professional drivers?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’ve never understood the Uber benefit. You pay thousands for the card, presumably live a comfortable lifestyle, and then look for a discount to ride in the back of someone’s six-year-old Camry that smells like sweaty chicken nuggets.
But the Uber VIP benefit means you can often get upgraded cars. Like a Mercedes S class when booking a normal Uber X. Or today I got a large Honda Odyssey. It wasn't real luxury, but better than an old Camry! And I always get high rated good drivers.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
The UK feels like a bargain now by comparison.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At $5,000 it matches the German annual fee. I expect you’ll get one AU free with that.
Amex Cents in the US are a large enough pool of relatively price-inelastic customers that Amex can have no/fewer included/free Cent AUs in the US than in Germany or the UK and not become an irrelevant market in size and thus worthy of exiting. If Germany- and UK-based Cent accounts saw a doubling of Amex fee costs from one year to the next at this point, it wouldn’t be long before the Centurion customer base in the UK and Germany would become very puny.

I haven’t cared to look yet about the Plat AUs on Cent accounts here, but there will be the included Platinum AUs for some time at least. Surely, you’re not talking about that, right?

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 31, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know there are higher end options, and Uber is indeed a convenient and generally reliable. I just wonder where the brand parallel lies. Perhaps there simply isn’t a national limousine service with professional drivers?
There isn’t such a company, at least not for the US markets of relevance to me. I don’t think there is even such a thing nation-wide in most of the countries which I visit or live in more than once a month. So Uber or something like it is often king, especially since I like an independent, self-reliant lifestyle when it comes to my travels.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Amex Cents in the US are a large enough pool of relatively price-inelastic customers that Amex can have no/fewer included/free Cent AUs in the US than in Germany or the UK and not become an irrelevant market in size and thus worthy of exiting. If Germany- and UK-based Cent accounts saw a doubling of Amex fee costs from one year to the next at this point, it wouldn’t be long before the Centurion customer base in the UK and Germany would become very puny.

I haven’t cared to look yet about the Plat AUs on Cent accounts here, but there will be the included Platinum AUs for some time at least. Surely, you’re not talking about that, right?
In Germany we get two Centurion cards and either four or five additional cards of Platinum, Gold, or Green (need to check the number) included in the annual €5,000 fee. I’d need to check what the Platinum card gets in additional cards.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Congrats on your fancy card gaining some new Saks credit

Last edited by mia; Oct 31, 2019 at 2:32 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gig103
Congrats on your fancy card gaining some new Saks credit

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnual-fee.html
You’ve quoted this same thread?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Although stated to be titanium (as is the current design), the screenshot of the redesigned card looks like it's more like the current Platinum card, with only the name printed on the front, and with nothing raised/embossed. So, does this mean that it's a multi-layer design like Platinum, as opposed to the solid design of the current card? Also, it would sure be nice if it had contactless payment, although the screenshot doesn't have the symbol for such displayed on the front.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:06 pm

If Germany- and UK-based Cent accounts saw a doubling of Amex fee costs from one year to the next at this point, it wouldn’t be long before the Centurion customer base in the UK and Germany would become very puny.
We did though, two years ago when it went from 2500 to 5000. I wish I could see the numbers how it affected the centurion pool, and will in the US
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Although stated to be titanium (as is the current design), the screenshot of the redesigned card looks like it's more like the current Platinum card, with only the name printed on the front, and with nothing raised/embossed. So, does this mean that it's a multi-layer design like Platinum, as opposed to the solid design of the current card? Also, it would sure be nice if it had contactless payment, although the screenshot doesn't have the symbol for such displayed on the front.
I'm 99% sure it won't have contactless. I believe thanks to Apple/Samsung/Google Pay it's also quiet irrelevant. Therefore it will still be able to be solid Titanium.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jay66
I'm 99% sure it won't have contactless. I believe thanks to Apple/Samsung/Google Pay it's also quiet irrelevant. Therefore it will still be able to be solid Titanium.
I never understood contactless when you have all of the pay methods. Is it just so the credit issuer can avoid paying fees to Apple/Samsung/Google?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Purchase Protection

Does anyone know if the purchase protection benefits are being diluted, like the Platinum?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanantion

You’ve quoted this same thread?
No. Gig103 replied to a post by Centurion who had started a new thread, which I merged into this one. You can see the redirect in the list of threads prefixed by the word Moved

Sorry for the confusion.

Attached Images  
Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Does anyone know if the purchase protection benefits are being diluted, like the Platinum?
This is what's on the revised benefits site:

Extended Warranty
When an American Express Card Member charges an eligible product with his or her Card account. Extended Warranty♦ can provide up to three extra years added to the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Coverage is up to the actual amount charged to your Card for the item up to a maximum of $10,000, not to exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Return Protection
If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the merchant won't take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price excluding shipping and handling, up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year per Card account, if you purchased it entirely with your eligible American Express® Card. Purchases must be made in the U.S. or its territories. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.
Statman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.