Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by th14
Also took away Boingo and Gogo for Business cards. Which is pretty terrible as that was an incredibly useful benefit.

Could make an argument Clear helps offset that loss for business travelers. Clear was already discounted for Delta Plat which you get with Cent so discounted Clear vs Gogo subscription.

So question is occasional Equinox use plus shipping at Saka worth $2500? Pretty clear that’s no.

I expect a fee increase of some kind was coming no matter what. If it’s per authorized user, ouch indeed.
So both personal and business are going up to $5K?
What other business changes are there?
Is AU also going up?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Very disappointing in these 'enhancements'. They continue to take away more and more benefits, yet increase the price.

I miss the old card, when it had multiple domestic airline status benefits.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It would be very interesting to see how inelastic the US demand is for this conspicuous consumption good/service that is the Centurion card. A doubling of the card’s fee, even with some additional benefits (of variable value to customers), is going to cost Amex some Centurion account customers.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:49 am

Well this should make my renewal decision a little easier come December!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerwma
removed the $200 airline credit
Personal, Business or both?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It would be very interesting to see how inelastic the US demand is for this conspicuous consumption good/service that is the Centurion card. A doubling of the card’s fee, even with some additional benefits (of variable value to customers), is going to cost Amex some Centurion account customers.

Unfortunately, you would be surprised how little it effects the demand. For every current centurion member that closes his/her account, there will be others willing to pay the fee and replace them.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sdix
Well this should make my renewal decision a little easier come December!
that's what I was thinking. every year I agonize about keeping. now it's easy!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mia
Personal, Business or both?
Gone from my personal. Did add trip insurance which might be helpful..

---------
If a round-trip is paid for entirely with your eligible Card and a covered reason cancels or interrupts your trip, Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance‡ can help reimburse the non-refundable travel expenses purchased, up to $10,000 per trip and up to $20,000 per Eligible Account per 12 consecutive month period.

If a round-trip is paid for entirely with your eligible Card and a covered reason delays your trip more than 6 hours, Trip Delay Insurance‡ can help reimburse your unexpected expenses up to $500 per trip.
---------------
See exclusions and restrictions in the Guide to Benefits.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Annual Fee

Where did you guys find the information that the annual fee is doubling? That is not good.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Where did you guys find the information that the annual fee is doubling? That is not good.

I don't see it either online or in my Oct 29th statement. Haven't received any email.

Last edited by sdix; Oct 31, 2019 at 11:23 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Centurion
I saw the new redesigned card appearance in my email which it says I will receive in 4-6 weeks. Can't wait to get it looks much nicer!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:13 am

Ouch - This one was out of left field. Yes, benefits have dropped considerably over the past 15+ years. Customer service has also declined (25 minutes on hold today). I spoke with a rep today and she said AU (spouse) will be additional $5k and will not get all of the benefits of the card holder. I would have expected for this type of increase to at least see Delta Diamond status!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Was in the email announcing the change. It's effective in April. So if your renewal comes up before April, you renew at the old rate. If your renewal is in or after April, it's at the new $5k rate.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:18 am

As an aside the Amex travel page has now been rebranded Centurion. All the Centurion travel benefits are also now listed on the booking page.

--------------------
Experience a more personalized servicing approach with a dedicated team of experts that will help manage your Membership. We can't wait to show you what's to come by your account renewal, on or after April 1, 2020

-----------------------

April fools day? Really?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well it is twice now that Amex has gone back on their promise to charter Centurion members. I have a letter from the President of Amex stating that I am grandfathered in at the $1000 annual fee. After the economic crisis hit Amex hard, they reneged on that deal. And now they are doing it again.

I don't have to worry about this til April when I would have to pay the $5000, so I will wait to see if they add more benefits early next year. Meanwhile I just enrolled in the free Equinox membership which is rather timely for me as I will be spending a lot of time in New York. The Clear membership is untimely as I just paid to renew it, albeit at the lower Delta Elite fee, thanks to the Delta Platinum membership we get. And the little lady will very much appreciate a shopping trip to Saks each year.

But I could go either way. I might cancel just before the annual fee hits.

FYI I got an email about all this from Amex an hour ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.