Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by NYtoCHI
Also got my art card today, can verify my name on the front and security code look badly printed, with streaks that look like the card was burned going through the machine. Unreal
If enough of us give Amex feedback on this then perhaps they will revisit how the cards are being made. I didnt complain to them when the card went through the change to the laminated style and mine peeled like many others did, because it was still functional. However being illegible does affect functionality so I have talked to them about it a couple times now. They sounded surprised and unaware.
Centurion and WasKnown like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Got my replacement card and wearable thing in the mail last week. Honestly, the Prada thing looks like a belt for my daughter's American Girl doll. It immediately went back into the bag and will live out the rest of it's days somewhere in my closet. IMO, they totally missed the mark with this "enhancement".
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: Centurion
Blows my mind they can't invest a little more in producing a quality card, especially given our annual fee.
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Got my replacement card and wearable thing in the mail last week. Honestly, the Prada thing looks like a belt for my daughter's American Girl doll. It immediately went back into the bag and will live out the rest of it's days somewhere in my closet. IMO, they totally missed the mark with this "enhancement".
Agree - it looks cheap...and doesn't even fit my wrist. Once around withe the "tightest" notch it falls off, but it's too short to double around. USELESS.
GNALUZU and PMFR like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:18 pm
BLV

Didnt bother going for the bracelet nor the art card
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:37 pm

Someone at Amex needs to be schooled on how out of touch they are with their Centurion customer base. They are playing the inspirational lifestyle way to far. Amex needs to offer $5,000 worth of value every year and not some platinum aspirational marketing bull excrement that they sell to the masses.
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Okay, heres the outcome of my attempt to be reissued the previous version of the card: my membership executive who I just met due to this unfortunate circumstance did everything he could but was unable to get me the prior version of the card. He said they no longer are able to produce the old one. It really sucks that they deactivated mine before I even had a chance to see the new one.

So, rather than throwing good time after bad I have caved and will just live with this blurry illegible card. Since I already have it I went ahead and activated the Prada wearable over the phone with Amex. After I tried it on my left wrist it actually feels fairly normal since Im used to a wristwatch. The sizing is appropriate for my wrist, so I guess Im lucky in that regard.

I just went to use it for the first time at the grocery store, after reading the manual that describes where the antenna is. After holding it there, then rotating my wrist around and then waving it back and forth a bit the terminal would still not recognize it. I was a bit embarrassed so I waited until the cashier was looking away and tried a second time, getting closer and eventually pressing it on the sensor. She happened to look up right as I was trying again with no luck and she mustve thought I was nuts trying to wipe the screen or something. I tried a THIRD time and she gave me a look like I was trying to be Harry Potter and at that point my SO who was trying to hold back her laughter said maybe its not a contactless terminal. Exasperated, I pulled my Visa card out and the terminal just beeped and accepted it right away when the card got within 2 inches of it, and my SO couldnt contain herself anymore and yelped with amusement at the whole thing.

I then bagged my groceries in shame.
AndyB likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
My new art card with the green leaves is pretty much impossible to read front or back unless in direct sunlight and tilted a certain way. Maybe its a new privacy feature . It will probably start peeling soon too. The pre-chip card was so much better.

Also wondering what to do with the Prada band. I like the idea of cutting out and repurposing the chip into something creative that one wouldnt expect to activate a NFC terminal like a rubber ducky perhaps. Or turn it into a headband and just headbutt the terminal to pay.

Theyre obviously just testing things on us, as if weve stuck around this long, they know well put up with pretty much anything. Like paying $2500 extra per year to be able to access a gym thats 2500 miles away and closed due to Covid and to order $1000 of stuff a year from Saks that I dont really need.

Originally Posted by NYtoCHI
Also got my art card today, can verify my name on the front and security code look badly printed, with streaks that look like the card was burned going through the machine. Unreal
747FC likes this.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; Oct 22, 2021 at 11:57 pm
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Card Quality: Race to the Bottom

All the complaints about the quality of the new Centurion card is quite interesting in light of similar complaints about the newly-released JP Morgan Reserve. The new JPMR is a dreadful downshift from what was a really remarkable card.

What does it mean for a company's branding efforts when goods that are purported to be exclusive are rather shoddy?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
What does it mean for a company's branding efforts when goods that are purported to be exclusive are rather shoddy?
Perhaps thats what the $1000 from Saks is for, to compensate for the cards new physical shortcomings with some less shoddy goods from Saks.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I finally caught up with my mail and received the new card and Prada bracelet. My card looks fine. No streaks. The numbers are easy to read. I can see that they are a bit blurry, but still easy to read.

I strapped on the bracelet and walked over to the drug store to buy something. The bracelet worked just how you would expect it to. In fact it seems to read faster than the Centurion card. And about the same as a Mastercard I have. Then I Ubered over to the airport and hopped on a flight to Paris. Later at a truck stop on the autoroute I bought snacks and voila, the bracelet worked perfectly on the French card reader. I'm a happy camper.
SteveT, SusanDK, ExpatExp and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:05 pm

Amex emailed me today to let me know my new card was coming in December, a few hours later I received a notification from Fedex saying it is coming tomorrow. I'll update with details on how the printing looks on mine....
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:36 pm

The printing on mine is ok, although the numbers on the back look a little like the printer was running out of ink - the color is blended. Letters on the front are clear and not multi-color. Out of curiosity today I tried to use the wearable to pay. I tried three times and then gave up and used my phone because people were waiting behind me.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nyc112244
Amex emailed me today to let me know my new card was coming in December, a few hours later I received a notification from Fedex saying it is coming tomorrow. I'll update with details on how the printing looks on mine....
Card arrived and printing looks fine. Prada bracelet is not something I would imagine ever wearing, they could have done better on that choice.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: A bunch
I got the architect version of the art card. Looks ok and my card looks good too. The Prada bracelet fits well and I’ve used it a few times. I think it’ll stretch over time and I’ll probably forget to take it off before showering some day, which will be the end of it, but for now it’s good. Design wise it’s perhaps not quite my style, too black and too “masculine”, but I’ll take it.
Has anyone tried signing up for their “lifestyle” events? There’s just one in my town (bummer) but 3 or 4 in Stockholm (que?) so I don’t know how they planned that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.