Wiki Posts
Search

Contactless often fails with my AMEX card in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Contactless often fails with my AMEX card in Canada

I find that quite frequently when using my cobalt card at merchants that accept AMEX, the tap function does not work. I almost always have to insert the card and enter the pin in order to pay for my items.

This has not happened when using it at McDonald's, Cineplex, and a few other retailers. Tim Horton's it used to work, but about two months ago it began making me insert.

Is anybody else having this issue? I live in Canada for those of you from the USA who may not be encountering the same problem.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by codfather
Is anybody else having this issue? I live in Canada for those of you from the USA who may not be encountering the same problem.
i too live in canada and have found that over the years, more and more terminals accept a tap with an amex card. one big one used to be a whole foods in vancouver. they finally changed or upgraded their terminals and then it worked.
also quite recently with an independent grocery store on the island where i live now.
i've never encountered a place that now requires the card to be inserted where i was once able to tap.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm having the same problem. Tap seldom works (on any of my Amex cards, so it's not just a damaged card issue). Like you said, Tim Hortons always used to work but hasn't for a few months. It's quite annoying to have to insert the card and use the pin.
codfather likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

It's related to the merchant terminals. They just weren't setup to accept Amex via tap. They upgrade their terminals, and bam it works.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by codfather
I live in Canada for those of you from the USA who may not be encountering the same problem.
FWIW, AmEx contactless has issues in the US sometimes, too. I'm not sure if it's more or less common here compared to Canada, however. (Contactless acceptance in general is less common, though, but that's a different issue.)

Originally Posted by Zhariak
It's related to the merchant terminals. They just weren't setup to accept Amex via tap. They upgrade their terminals, and bam it works.
Theoretically they don't need to swap out hardware to get AmEx working, but if they're already needing to do it anyway, might as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.