FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   What to do about a business that takes AMEX, but employees can't accept it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1992258-what-do-about-business-takes-amex-but-employees-cant-accept.html)

BenSenise Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31652545)
One place out by my cabin has a sign that shows the gas price per litre if you pay with credit, and the cheaper price if you pay with cash/debit.

i've noticed that this is very commonplace in and around Los Angeles. The difference was non-negligible as well IIRC.

TuxTom Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm

I've never had an employee ask me not to use my AMEX at a place that accepts it. If this did occur, depending on the situation or what the item I'm purchasing is, I may just use V/MC/Cash and express my displeasure. On a larger ticket item I'd be more inclined to ask to speak with the manager and/or just walk out and make my purchase elsewhere.

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31652545)
Where I am from in Newfoundland and Labrador, we see that often at gas stations in rural locations.

One place out by my cabin has a sign that shows the gas price per litre if you pay with credit, and the cheaper price if you pay with cash/debit. Now I have noticed it missing as of late so I assume somebody reported this to the credit card companies.

Gas stations have been doing this for years down here in the US, but it used to be few and far between. In the last year or two though it's become increasingly common around here at least, to the point that it's become hard to find a place that doesn't charge a 10-20 cent difference between cash and credit. I try to make it a point not to support these businesses but there's not much I can do a lot of the time.

jags86 Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm

First I think it’s simply a myth that AMEX charges more than other cards—perhaps 20 years ago but not anymore. Many small businesses use Square or Clover and that is a flat rate charge, and other businesses with negotiated POS terminals are paying variable rate depending on the level of Visa/MC. Most banks are issuing Signature/World cards now with the highest interchange fees.

That said, I always pay with the card that gives me the best rewards and I would really care less if they preferred me to use another card. I’ve never been turned down but I did see one time on the check cover a big taped on sticker that said “WE DO NOT TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS.”

One time in the Caribbean I was using an AMEX to book an excursion and they asked me to use another card. I declined and said either AMEX or I’ll book with someone else. At the time AMEX was the only card I had with no FTF. When the guy relented he asked why I was using it. And I told him that if things don’t go right AMEX is the easiest to deal with with merchant disputes. The guy seemed to shake his head and said “I know.”

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 31652701)
First I think it’s simply a myth that AMEX charges more than other cards—perhaps 20 years ago but not anymore. Many small businesses use Square or Clover and that is a flat rate charge, and other businesses with negotiated POS terminals are paying variable rate depending on the level of Visa/MC. Most banks are issuing Signature/World cards now with the highest interchange fees.

That said, I always pay with the card that gives me the best rewards and I would really care less if they preferred me to use another card. I’ve never been turned down but I did see one time on the check cover a big taped on sticker that said “WE DO NOT TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS.”

One time in the Caribbean I was using an AMEX to book an excursion and they asked me to use another card. I declined and said either AMEX or I’ll book with someone else. At the time AMEX was the only card I had with no FTF. When the guy relented he asked why I was using it. And I told him that if things don’t go right AMEX is the easiest to deal with with merchant disputes. The guy seemed to shake his head and said “I know.”

I would have taken a picture of the sign and reported it to AmEx. If they feel the need for the big sign, presumably they're advertising somewhere that they do take AmEx, otherwise customers wouldn't assume that they do so.

WannabeSE Oct 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Report it on https://iforms.americanexpress.com/i...link&evttype=0

I don’t know if it is true, but apparently businesses get a better rate if they accept all three Visa, MasterCard, Amex. In my mind they can’t have it both ways.

Low Roller Oct 21, 2019 7:00 pm

I heard waiters say things like "we don't really take Amex" even after I just used it or saw someone else use one. And yes, I've reported it to Amex using the website link above.

Nitehawk Oct 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Westburne electric in Canada takes amex (well their machines do) but the employees won't take it. I have already reported it to my account manager. Not sure what else to do other than not shop there unless I have no choice (Allen Bradley?)

HWGeeks Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Yesterday I went to a liquor store, a big Amex PUSH sign on the door and it said We Accept Amex. Went to pay with AMEX they said they don't accept it. So I started to walk out when they called me back and said they do. I told them I'll only walk back to the counter for a 10% discount. Which I got.

Global Adventurer Oct 21, 2019 8:05 pm

This happens to me on a regular basis no matter which country I'm in. Some have gone as far as putting my card in the handheld reader and saying it doesn't work, and if I have another credit card. Even though I know it worked on a different day and they were probably using the handheld reader that is specifically for visas and Mastercards on purpose. It's frustrating 😔

krazykanuck Oct 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by STVA (Post 31652652)
I respect a business if they choose to not accept AmEx at all. I have no issue with paying with a Visa card.

However, having an account with AmEx and having the sticker up and not wanting to accept payment via AmEx makes you look pretty pathetic.

Completely agree. I went to a restaurant to pick up food last month when I was in Florida and the door had all the CC stickers on it. Pulled out my Amex Gold and the cashier was like "do you have another card...." and I said no, this is the card I intend to pay with. If you don't want to accept Amex, then simply don't accept it. Don't try to guilt customers into paying another way. As an aside, Amex rates have come down, and Visa rates creep up, particularly if its a Visa Infinite level card like a CSR.

codfather Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by WannabeSE (Post 31652751)
Report it on https://iforms.americanexpress.com/i...link&evttype=0

I don’t know if it is true, but apparently businesses get a better rate if they accept all three Visa, MasterCard, Amex. In my mind they can’t have it both ways.

Thank you for sharing that link! I have just reported the business, and sure enough, they were listed as taking AMEX on the site.

Hopefully, they get reprimanded for this!

Steve M Oct 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 31653387)
As an aside, Amex rates have come down, and Visa rates creep up, particularly if its a Visa Infinite level card like a CSR.

I think that's the key. Even though the average and lowest discount rates for MasterCard/Visa may still be lower than Amex, I don't think that's the case for the premium versions of MasterCard/Visa. And, I think that most people that have an Amex card probably have a mileage-earning MasterCard/Visa that they'd use instead, which means that the merchant gains nothing by forcing the customer to switch. I just think that many of them don't realize this.

Dave510 Oct 22, 2019 2:47 am

If a business chooses to use AMEX signage, I will insist on paying AMEX if I so choose. If I'm feeling too lazy to insist, I will make sure to pull out a VISA or MasterCard with the highest interchnage fee that I have on me (Infinite Privilege or World Elite).

Lintrix Oct 22, 2019 3:12 am

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen agents of either merchant services from the big 3 (visa/mc/amex) or agents of the big 3 themselves place their logo sticker unsolicited on a store front without notifying the owner. They kind of just go and put their logo on the door.

AllanJ Oct 22, 2019 6:33 am

Now that the question has ben asked, I am now tempted to ask for a "courtesy" discount on the spot if the store or vendor does not accept a card that their sign or sticker says they accept.

For credit card companies that plaster their stickers on storefronts without notice or permission, perhaps a storekeeper finding a sticker with false information on it should peel off not only the false information but also any company logo on the sticker as well.